CatfishRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #25157
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatfishRacing View Post
Hey Ridge, no picture of the pretzel?

Ha... that thing was gone before I could even get the camera out. We were starving and the wait staff was overwhelmed with all the crowd piling in for the ride and festival. Took us 15 minutes (sitting at the bar) to get our beer order in and another 15 minutes to get the pretzel ordered...
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #25158
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
The weekend prior to Labor day, my wife and I
What a crazy coincidence but we took a trip Labor Day weekend traveling through southern Michigan for some fantastic single track, top notch beer, and a ballgame to finish it off.

Starting off early the first day at Fort Custer in Augusta, we did all three loops, red, green, and blue. Great flow, minimal traffic on the weekdays, and very well maintained.

FORT CUSTER RECREATION AREA

Momma taking a water break on the red loop.

Spent the evening enjoying the fresh selections at Bell's brewery, not a bad offering in the house

BELL'S BREWERY

Hightailed it over to Detroit just to watch my Sox get whopped up on.

What a great weekend!
Old 09-06-2012, 03:29 AM   #25159
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Ever head up to Santos?
no but it is certainly on my wish list
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:12 AM   #25160
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post

Spent the evening enjoying the fresh selections at Bell's brewery, not a bad offering in the house

BELL'S BREWERY
Looks like a great time and Bell's is one of my favorite breweries. Their two-hearted ale is one of my regular go-to beers whenever available.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #25161
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,411
Hey Ridge: I was the guy stopping traffic for y'all on the downhill side of the road. Bright ass yaller and green jersey on on a Van Dessel.

Oh, then I was the one scoring when you came back in.

Glad you had fun. I did! Despite the rain (which started AFTER I'd gotten back! Nyaa nyaa!)

M
Old 09-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #25162
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Hey Ridge: I was the guy stopping traffic for y'all on the downhill side of the road. Bright ass yaller and green jersey on on a Van Dessel.

Oh, then I was the one scoring when you came back in.

Glad you had fun. I did! Despite the rain (which started AFTER I'd gotten back! Nyaa nyaa!)

M
Cool, wish I had known, I would have said something besides the cursing of the rain.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #25163
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

ABQ peeps:

Stoned driver sentenced

She got more than a slap on the wrist. Hope this is signs of changes to come in sentencing for those that hit cyclists and MCists.

M
Old 09-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #25164
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,647
After growing up riding bicycles, until I was old enough and started riding motorcycles some 20 years ago, I just decided to get back into mountain bikes. I had a GT full suspension 19 years ago, back when it was rockshox and polymer rear suspension, so I decided to get a GT again.

DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #25165
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
After growing up riding bicycles, until I was old enough and started riding motorcycles some 20 years ago, I just decided to get back into mountain bikes. I had a GT full suspension 19 years ago, back when it was rockshox and polymer rear suspension, so I decided to get a GT again.

I still have my old GT Timberline, bought new when I got my first job way back in '92. I've converted it into a singlespeed cruiser now, and I don't see myself getting rid of it.

Also from the New Bike Files:

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it...we have the technology.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #25166
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

How to not prep for the first race of the season:

1. Help little brother #2 put fascia around the garage all day
2. Don't ride after a hard day on Friday

We'll see how the legs are feeling tomorrow. :fingerscrossed

Oh, did I mention RAIN?! Bring it on bay-bee! Gimme some MUD!

M
Old 09-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #25167
taki5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post

Also from the New Bike Files:

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it...we have the technology.
Nice frame. I bought a Lemond Titanium Victoire in my size at a bike swap meet last year. Got the ugly/worn blue paint bead blasted off, and set it up as a 1x9. awesome ride.
taki5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #25168
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

First race of the season and I wake up with yesterday's headache.

M
Old 09-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #25169
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,252
My Last Chance - this week

The CO Last Chance is this week. There are 33 riders who qualified for the event which cover 750-miles. For a rider to finish, you have to complete the ride in under 90-hours.

We're leaving PHX around 2:45 and will drive into n. Arizona or New Mexico. From there, we'll drive to Boulder on Monday. We'll use Tuesday to finish prepping and organizing for the ride and then try to get some sleep at 6 pm. The alarm goes off at 00:30 and we'll go get some breakfast. We'll need to check out of the hotel and check-in for the ride by 0230 for an 0300 start.

The first day w'll do 251 miles from Boulder to Atwood KS where we'll sleep at the "It'll Do Motel". The road trends downhll for this segment. On the road, it's subtle but you can see it. What you can't see are the strong rolling hills - those are more evident as you zoom in.

The second day is an out-and-back from Atwood to Kensington KS in 219 miles. Once again, we'll be guests of the "It'll Do Motel".

The third day has the potential to be the worst. We'll rolling uphill - ever so slightly according to the elevation - encounting strong rolling hills and the wind could be massive on the plains as we cover 180 miles to Byers and the Budget hotel:

If we survive all of that, the last day will be a breeze at only 103 miles. After just under 650 miles, 103 can seem like another 600 miles as we cover the scenic route back to Boulder:

We're allowed two bags that volunteers will leave at the hotels. Those are pack and organized for the most part. The bike is ready - I took off the chain, cleaned and waxed it after a quick 40 mile ride yesterday. I'll install it when we arrive in Boulder. No use letting it get road-grimed up after the drive to CO.

I've done the math - if we can maintain a rolling average of only 14 miles an hour, be off the bike no more and 15 minutes (or 30 minutes depending on the distance between controls), be off the bike at the control for no more than 30 minutes unless it's an overnight control, we can sleep at least 5 hours a night and finish in 87 hours.

All this planning goes out the window when the rubber hits the road. We'll try for at least 16-18 miles an hour and try to maintain a little discipline when between or at controls. That'll allow us to build time for contingency use.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #25170
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

First cross race of the season. Went 'just OK.'

Started at the back of a 125-man field so I knew I wasn't going to be racing for the win. The goal becomes 'pass as many people as you can.' I got up to appx 50th. I heard that only 90 finished tho.

I managed to pick off a few guys/lap till the end.

The 'Continental Mud' aka Grifo 2 tire I had on the back was a little 'slidey' but it broke free predictably and not for very long so I'll give it a conditional thumbs up as a back tire. IDK that I'd run it as a front tire tho.

Pressures were appx 26/28 ft/rr. Bout right for a grassy course like this. Maybe a titch (like 0.5 psi) more would be a little better, but overall, I liked the pressure.

Coupla sizeable crashes that first lap. Guys getting tangled up with each other. That first lap was basically a parade for me and the guys around me. Most of the second lap was too for that matter. Then the 3rd lap opened up and there were gaps to shut down and guys to pass.

Next up: Apple Cross. BIG run-up. Last year it was MUH-DEE! We'll see what this year brings.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: