Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 503 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 05:06 AM   #25171
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
RUSA.com is a great place to start.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. If I can do it, anyone can!
In due time... in due time.
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #25172
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Man, reading that makes me want to go out and register for one! Well done!
Not me. He can have em. Give me a nice field sprint any day.

...but don't think for a minute that I'm not seriously impressed. Especially after how much he said he trained for this thing. Imagine what you coulda done with some real training!

M
Old 09-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #25173
kannonbal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
I couldn't agree more, very flipping impressive.

The most I have ever done in one day was 130mi and that was plenty!

I cannot imagine doing almost twice that and then getting up and doing it again for 3 or 4 days.

My hat is off to you, sir!
Old 09-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #25174
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Wow K7, that's an incredible feat, especially considering the (short)time you spent training. It makes the Iron Butt rally seem like a bunch of lazy pussies by comparison. Thanks for taking the time to do up a proper ride report and sharing it with us. BTW, I've had the pleasure of riding with some bents on group rides and those guys (on the flats and descents)are not slow. I hope to be able to do the same at their age.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #25175
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,136
Quote:

I had ridden a few double -centuries in the early 80's and as I recall, they were much more difficult than this 1200. Why? My recumbent, while a compromise, offers the best combination of comfort and speed. I predict that as riders age, you'll see recumbents slowly lose the stigma that they carry today.

I mentioned the recumbent already. Mine was extremely comfortable out of the box. I think that's difficult to achieve on a diamond-framed bike and it may mean you have to add miles to insure you can endure the pain. I can't tell you how many riders I was behind on the last two days who were really suffering...moving around trying to find a spot on their ass that didn't hurt.

As a recumbent rider myself, I've often thought that as the baby-boomers aged, there would be lots more recumbents on the road....but I haven't really seen that.

The whole stigma thing about recumbents is strange-- here you've got a bicycle that is essentially much more ergonomic right "out of the box" with very little futzing required. But a diamond frame bike tends to require so much more adjustments to stem, saddle, frame size, etc., and even then, a long day on the bike results in a lot of soreness.

Anyway, congrats on your achievement!
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #25176
Brek81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
As a recumbent rider myself, I've often thought that as the baby-boomers aged, there would be lots more recumbents on the road....but I haven't really seen that.

The whole stigma thing about recumbents is strange-- here you've got a bicycle that is essentially much more ergonomic right "out of the box" with very little futzing required. But a diamond frame bike tends to require so much more adjustments to stem, saddle, frame size, etc., and even then, a long day on the bike results in a lot of soreness.

Anyway, congrats on your achievement!
I've been looking at recumbents, and i'm only 30. I definitely get some looks when i go into the shops asking.
Brek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #25177
fz6kd7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Bents are the way to go
I got mine from an online shop/importer no 1200's for me but i do want to do a century
Well done k7
fz6kd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #25178
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
RUSA.com is a great place to start.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. If I can do it, anyone can!
Fantasic job ! " If I can do it anyone can " Yea right. The most I've ever riden in a day was 140 miles, and that was 15 mile eze warm up ,50mile,and 75 mile Road races. I felt it for a week. And that's when I rode 10k-12k a year.

Like Gummee said give me a field sprint anyday.

great job.
JG
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #25179
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brek81 View Post
I've been looking at recumbents, and i'm only 30. I definitely get some looks when i go into the shops asking.
Get yourself a fake gray beard, and be sure to take your fake ID and fake AARP card with you.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:31 AM   #25180
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
I would have to disagree with the standard frame bike discomfort. I've spent 200 mile days on my CAAD9 with nearly 12 hours in the saddle and very little soreness. IF the bike is properly fit to the rider AND the rider has found peace between his saddle and bum, then the discomfort and soreness are mitigated. Proper fit by an experienced professional is absolutely key to comfort and efficiency.

Now, having said that, I've never ridden a recumbent so I have no other comparable data. I've ridden with many on RAGBRAI and local century rides. I've talked at length with many of those riders on the ergonomic differences between the two styles of bikes and I firmly believe it just boils down to personal preference if there is no physical restriction that keeps one from riding a standard frame bike.

In the end though, they are both pedal bikes and as long as people are riding, I don't care what style of frame it's on...

Ridge screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 06:02 AM
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #25181
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
In the end though, they are both pedal bikes and as long as people are riding, I don't care what style of frame it's on...
Hell yeah!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #25182
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,818
Quote:
As much as I join in the good-natured ribbing of 'bent riders, Freds, Poseurs (), etc. ANYone out on a bike is someone to applaud.

So there I was last nite... Headed over to Haymarket to do the Wed ride. Hoping against hope that there was someone that wanted to go crossing. Nope.

So I geared up and went out with the B/road group. I could tell right away that I wasn't on a good nite. Huffing and puffing. Legs felt like poo. Oh well. Maybe I'll ride into it. Yeah! That it! THAT'S the ticket.

No surprise, I got dropped on the hill on Waterfall. Always happens. I was spun out in my 46x12 and in no-man's land. Decided to sit up some to wait for the next hill and attack that.

That lasted about 100m before the legs loaded up with lactic acid and I had to shut down.

The next couple of little rises I attacked ala cross races. I figure if that's a weakness, and cross has lots of little hills/transitions I should probably work on em.

We rode around a bit and a few times when I *thought* everyone was on my wheel, they were 20m back. WTF?! Oh well. I'll sit up and work in again.

So we get to the long somewhat downhill AND tailwind stretch to the sprint line. I've got myself positioned about right for the town line sprint when everyone loses impetus. Oh NOES!

So I jumped.

Once again I went from too far out and faded 20m from the line. As I was listening and looking to my left, someone was trying to come around me on the right. Darn near ran him off the road, but I looked under my right arm a final time as he said something as saw his front wheel. Don't wanna cause any accidents.

Got dropped going back up Waterfall going the other way too, but I'd been on the front of the pack right before the steep section. I was still hoping 'to ride into it.' Managed to keep em in sight down the hill and onto Antioch. Caught the back markers (of the 4-man pack at that point) and worked in. We got up a pretty good head of steam going down Antioch. I didn't have a computer on, so can't say how fast we were going, but I'd say 25-30mph. 3-4 of us working together driving the pace. Yay for pacelines! Even better is YAY for pacelines that work well together. They're a thing of beauty.

So one dood ramps up the pace at the Boy Scout Camp. Next guy in line grabs his wheel. I'm behind that. Second guy pulls off and we're about a km away from the last sprint of the day. I've managed to find myself on the front in a bad spot, so I decide I'm gonna lead it out. So I shift down a few cogs and spin my way up to my top speed. Legs start to load up. [Luke Skywalker]Keep going[/LS] Start to really breathe heavy. [Luke Skywalker]Keep going[/LS] I know this is the LAST effort [Luke Skywalker]Keep going[/LS] I can hold em off! (yeah right!) [Luke Skywalker]Keep going[/LS] So I kept going till I blew sky high. Oh well.

Kept em from coming around me till about 100-150m to the line when my legs went BANG! at the bottom of the overpass over the freeway. They were evidently impressed, but *I* knew I was riding for crap. When they came up and said 'good ride' when I was changing back into 'civvies' all I could do was smile and say 'thanks!' knowing all the while that it was a sub-par effort on my part.

M
Old 09-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #25183
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 8,738
With all the great rides here, I feel a little silly asking my question.

I'm doing a 78 mile Charity ride on the 29th. I plan on doing a 20, 50 and 15 this Fri/Sat and Sunday. I have been riding every week for the past 8 weeks or so. What kind of riding or other kind of exercise should I do, if any, the 5 days before my big (for me) ride? Don't wanna wear out my knees or legs.

Thanks.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #25184
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,452
I wouldn't say riding or exercise (a little basic yoga wouldn't hurt). I'd say equipment & nutrition are more important. Find out what works for your rocket fuel, and make sure the bike fits you right. Like Ridge said above.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #25185
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
With all the great rides here, I feel a little silly asking my question.

I'm doing a 78 mile Charity ride on the 29th. I plan on doing a 20, 50 and 15 this Fri/Sat and Sunday. I have been riding every week for the past 8 weeks or so. What kind of riding or other kind of exercise should I do, if any, the 5 days before my big (for me) ride? Don't wanna wear out my knees or legs.

Thanks.
I usually ride ~74 miles, 2-3 times per week. Nutrition and pace, for me.

I start out sipping a Gatorade (20oz), along with plenty of water (42oz). At my turnaround (~37mi), I grab two slices of pizza (carbs) and wash it down with a 12oz Mt Dew (caffeine). I grab two or three 32oz waters and wash down the Mt Dew with a partial and fill my bottles. That gives me ~40-60oz (depending on temp) of water for the return. I do have to pee a lot, but, I'm hydrated. I don't always drink everything, while on the bike, and finish at home. I take a couple Kashi bars, but, rarely ever eat one (only if hunger pains start). I usually have a small bowl of natural cereal, in the morning. I usually grill tilapia or salmon and steam some veggies, as soon as I get home. For me, the pizza and Mt Dew don't bloat. I've found some foods, sodas (Coke, Dr Pepper, Pepsi, Sprite, Orange Crush), and, for sure, Gatorade will bloat me on the return trip. You gotta' experiment and stick to what works.

I ride whatever pace I feel like. I use to ride to a pace, but, have found I'm a lot more susceptible to "bonking". If my GF goes along, I ride whatever she feels like. I try to stop every 12-15 miles, just to give my muscles and butt a break. I do find that stretching my hamstrings, in the first ~10 miles pays off. At my turnaround, I try to limit my break to 30 minutes. Any more than that and I start to stiffen. I usually sit against a wall, with my legs straight out to keep my hamstrings stretched, at my break.

I give myself a recovery day, between rides. If it were me, I'd do the 20 (or more), skip Saturday, and shoot for the 50 on Sunday.

Good luck.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: