Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 237 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #25186
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntec4 View Post
I went to watch Stage 2 of the Tour of Britain today. Bradley Wiggins and Mark Cavendish are both taking part this year. The weather was awful for taking pictures, but here's a few anyway.

Some of the support vehicles were nice too.

Wiggo

Cavendish with Ivan Basso behind him.

Ricardo Garcia

this type of cycling just pisses me off.
I am all about commuting, solo, that kind of thing, hamster on a fucking wheel not for me.
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #25187
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootTour View Post
this type of cycling just pisses me off.
I am all about commuting, solo, that kind of thing, hamster on a fucking wheel not for me.
why does competition anger you? I mean, I'm not a racer, I tried it when young and hated it, I just like riding solo etc too... but other folks racing in international events don't anger me. heck, I've volunteered as a course marshall for the last couple Tour of California's that came through my town.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #25188
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
why does competition anger you? I mean, I'm not a racer, I tried it when young and hated it, I just like riding solo etc too... but other folks racing in international events don't anger me. heck, I've volunteered as a course marshall for the last couple Tour of California's that came through my town.
its not competition, its using more resources to get from point A to point B then it would be if you didnt even bother with the race in the first place that ticks me off.

Do it real time, not controlled enviroment.
No SAG, no film crew, no sponsers, just man up and ride it
Old 09-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #25189
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
its not competition, its using more resources to get from point A to point B then it would be if you didnt even bother with the race in the first place that ticks me off.

Do it real time, not controlled enviroment.
No SAG, no film crew, no sponsers, just man up and ride it
so you're dead set against all entertainment and sports too? after all, they use a lot of resources!
Old 09-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #25190
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
so you're dead set against all entertainment and sports too? after all, they use a lot of resources!
you extroplated that from what I said?

wow..

Not going to debate, its just fucking lame.

Get on a bike, leave from your front door and pick a random direction and ride for a few thousand miles without ever touching a hotel or couch and then I will be impressed.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #25191
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

let me try to explain. When it comes to cycling for me the entire point is minialism, the challenge is minalism. The Apex of cycling for me is to be able to leave from your front door, ride for a thousand miles and bring everything you need with and never using a hotel or the like. THAT is kick ass.

Having a car follow you with spare bikes and shaving gear while another films you is just bullshit to me. Its race that make no larger statement at all whatsoever other than 'we are really bored and cant think of anything better to compete over'
Old 09-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #25192
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
you extroplated that from what I said?

wow..

Not going to debate, its just fucking lame.

Get on a bike, leave from your front door and pick a random direction and ride for a few thousand miles without ever touching a hotel or couch and then I will be impressed.
extrapolated from your 'waste of resources' remark concerning video, sag, etc on a professional bike race, and that racing 'pisses you off'.

when I was (much) younger, I regularly bike-camped a few 100 miles, but never thousands. My longest trip was Monterey/Pacific Grove to the Crater Lakes area in south Oregon, no hotels, I couldn't have afforded them. Now days, I'm a overweight 58 year old computer engineer who thinks bicycling 15-20 miles is good enough, and I need to (re)start doing it more often.

as far as random directions go... 5 miles west and I'd be swimming in the Pacific, my bike don't float. 500 miles east would put me in the middle of the Nevada deserts, not exactly a bike friendly place (assuming I don't croak climbing the Sierra 10,000 foot passes). 1000 miles south, and I'd be somewhere in Baja, also not a very bicycle friendly place. That pretty much leaves north for long trips. Frankly, I'm more into camping trips on my motorcycle, when family and work committments allow me the time (not often enough for my tastes).
Old 09-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #25193
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
extrapolated from your 'waste of resources' remark concerning video, sag, etc on a professional bike race, and that racing 'pisses you off'.

when I was (much) younger, I regularly bike-camped a few 100 miles, but never thousands. My longest trip was Monterey/Pacific Grove to the Crater Lakes area in south Oregon, no hotels, I couldn't have afforded them. Now days, I'm a overweight 58 year old computer engineer who thinks bicycling 15-20 miles is good enough, and I need to (re)start doing it more often.

as far as random directions go... 5 miles west and I'd be swimming in the Pacific, my bike don't float. 500 miles east would put me in the middle of the Nevada deserts, not exactly a bike friendly place (assuming I don't croak climbing the Sierra 10,000 foot passes). 1000 miles south, and I'd be somewhere in Baja, also not a very bicycle friendly place. That pretty much leaves north for long trips. Frankly, I'm more into camping trips on my motorcycle, when family and work committments allow me the time (not often enough for my tastes).
I have to ask, if someone is going to have a car riding aside of you with spare bikes why not have the entire competition on stationary bikes? what the f*))&^) is the point of being on the road in the first place?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #25194
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,679
Tom Ritchey video

Nifty

M
Old 09-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #25195
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Tom Ritchey video

Nifty

M
Nice segue from the previous... And now for something completely different (before I lose my cool on Scoottour).

Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #25196
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,396
Hope this works.

Yep, got it. Nice Ritchey video. That guy rules.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #25197
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Nice segue from the previous... And now for something completely different (before I lose my cool on Scoottour).

Funny as Hell.!!!
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #25198
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Tom Ritchey video

Nifty

M
Man, that's really cool. I can only imagine what it must've been like to grow up around these guys. Makes me wish I lived where these guys do. I'd love to be around them. Great find!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #25199
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
let me try to explain. When it comes to cycling for me the entire point is minialism, the challenge is minalism. The Apex of cycling for me is to be able to leave from your front door, ride for a thousand miles and bring everything you need with and never using a hotel or the like. THAT is kick ass.

Having a car follow you with spare bikes and shaving gear while another films you is just bullshit to me. Its race that make no larger statement at all whatsoever other than 'we are really bored and cant think of anything better to compete over'
I'm not sure what minialism is, perhaps it's your intellectual capacity. I'm not sure what you ride, but if it contains a derailleur, freehub, freewheel, steel or aluminum alloy, butted tubes, compressionless cable housing, quick release levers, you can thank racing & trickle down technology for that. Your diatribe is foolish, and you're an idiot.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #25200
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
I'm not sure what minialism is, perhaps it's your intellectual capacity. I'm not sure what you ride, but if it contains a derailleur, freehub, freewheel, steel or aluminum alloy, butted tubes, compressionless cable housing, quick release levers, you can thank racing & trickle down technology for that. Your diatribe is foolish, and you're an idiot.
Having multiple gears and the deraileur came from people that didn't want to tour on fixed gears 90 years ago after WWI in Europe.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: