Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 135 votes, 4.76 average. Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #25201
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Having multiple gears and the deraileur came from people that didn't want to tour on fixed gears 90 years ago after WWI in Europe.
You obviously don't know who Tullio Campagnolo was, what he made, and why he made it. Perhaps you should do a bit of research before you make assertions in an area that you have little knowledge.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #25202
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Yes, I know who he is. I wasn't trying to be a jerk. Have you read the golden age of the hand built bicycle? Good stuff. Tullio didn't make the first multi geared bike.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #25203
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
Your diatribe is foolish, and you're an idiot.
Let's not beat around the bush.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #25204
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,882
Quote:
I wasn't trying to be a jerk.
Maybe if you had made an analogy between fully sag supported stage races and Ewan McBoorman's Long Way trips you would have gotten more traction from this crowd. Looking at it from that context I can see why you said what you did. Have you ever competed in an amateur club crit or road race? Flats, crashes, or mechanical difficulties mean its on you the rider to fix your stuff and get back in the saddle. Same thing happens if you compete in a mountain bike race.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #25205
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
I'm not talking about Lallament or any of the other early developments, but instead the impact of what Campagnolo brought to the masses through competition, and the direct lineage to modern multi speed road & touring bicycles.

Campagnolo was the bench mark everyone copied to some degree, Zeus, Ofmega, Gipiemme, Huret, Shimano, Avocet, all took design influence from Campy. Campagnolo came to be because of competition, not touring.

To bash competition as not pure, but ignore the technological growth that resulted from racing is absurd. The handmade bicycle is an excellent book, my apoligies if I was gruff.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #25206
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
Your diatribe is foolish, and you're an idiot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Let's not beat around the bush.
Yes... tell us how you really feel.

I would challenge ScootTour to enter himself in a crit, road race or 6 hour MTB and report back on how the team car was there to help him out when things got tough. Don't compare apples to oranges. There is a world of difference between the support afforded to a paid, professional cyclist versus us common club racers. Ride a mile (or 6500 this year) in my cycling shoes, then come back and bitch all you want to.
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #25207
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,383
Quote:
Having multiple gears and the deraileur came from people that didn't want to tour on fixed gears 90 years ago after WWI in Europe.
That would be some Italian dood named Tulip or Tull or was it Tullio?

I just got back from a 2:12 ride round my buddy's house down in Bealeton. Legs felt pretty good after yesterday's trip thru the rolling hills between my place, Marshall, and my place. They started to really feel it at about the 90min mark. Till then I was feelin pretty sprightly.

M
Old 09-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #25208
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,616
Wow, this thread is more cut throat than some of the motorcycle threads.

Anyway, on a lighter note, a question about using a GoPro camera and taking vids on the mountain bike. ( Just bought a bike and started riding again after 20 years)

Do guys tend to like to take video from helmet/rider mounts, or mount to the bicycle itself???

I know when I use the GoPro on my motorcycle(offroad) rides, I mount to my helmet. I know when some guys moiunt to the bikes(motorcycle), the vid has too much movement to it, and is sometimes hard to watch.

I am assuming that if mounted to handlebars, for trail riding, unless its really bumpy, it should be OK????

This is the mount I am thinking about getting:

http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/handl...eatpost-mount/

Thoughts?
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #25209
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,066
Just picked up a Columbus Airplane frame with Dura-Ace 7900 hanging on it. Budget wheelset, handlebars, stem and seatpost.

Look Keos coming tomorrow. Can't remember which model, 200 USD or so. I haven't ridden in ages and I'm sure I'll suffer tremendously.

I never really enjoyed the ride of aluminum but I can always change the frame. Used to have a Gios Compact back in the day, maybe I'll check into their newer framesets.

Does Gianni Motta still make frames? I had a tri coloured one before the Gios. I liked it a lot but the top tube was too short. I wouldn't mind a nice steel frame again. Something in about a 58 cm.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #25210
McDuff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Wow, this thread is more cut throat than some of the motorcycle threads.

Anyway, on a lighter note, a question about using a GoPro camera and taking vids on the mountain bike. ( Just bought a bike and started riding again after 20 years)

Do guys tend to like to take video from helmet/rider mounts, or mount to the bicycle itself???

I know when I use the GoPro on my motorcycle(offroad) rides, I mount to my helmet. I know when some guys moiunt to the bikes(motorcycle), the vid has too much movement to it, and is sometimes hard to watch.

I am assuming that if mounted to handlebars, for trail riding, unless its really bumpy, it should be OK????

This is the mount I am thinking about getting:

http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/handl...eatpost-mount/

Thoughts?
Doug,
From what I've seen, most guys use either a helmet of chest mount for their gopro's. But like you suggested it works okay when bike mounted if the trail isn't too bumpy. Here's a vid I made at one of the local trails with a gopro 960 mounted to my bars(2:37) The sound sucks, you might want to turn it down first. http://youtu.be/Psk0YNr6v2o

McDuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #25211
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 853
Next time I ride the Westside, I'm taking the damn pruning shears. I got skewered in the shoulder by an errant manzanita branch and took more shots to the head than Larry Fine. It's always the short little quickie rides that getcha.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:57 AM   #25212
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
Doug,
From what I've seen, most guys use either a helmet of chest mount for their gopro's. But like you suggested it works okay when bike mounted if the trail isn't too bumpy. Here's a vid I made at one of the local trails with a gopro 960 mounted to my bars(2:37) The sound sucks, you might want to turn it down first. http://youtu.be/Psk0YNr6v2o
Thanks for the reply McDuff. That vid looked pretty good. I think the bar mount will work well for me.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:50 AM   #25213
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Just picked up a Columbus Airplane frame with Dura-Ace 7900 hanging on it. Budget wheelset, handlebars, stem and seatpost.

I never really enjoyed the ride of aluminum but I can always change the frame. Used to have a Gios Compact back in the day, maybe I'll check into their newer framesets.
There's AL and there's AL. The Airplane tubing is going to ride pretty nicely overall. I've had a few bikes made out of it (or copies).

Funny thing, AL. In EUR they say 'AL?! Ick rides like a noodle.' Here in the states we say 'AL?! Ick rides like a brick.' Both are right if you think about what the first experience with AL was. Eur: Vitus. States: C-dale. Since those first bikes, we've come a LONG ways. That Airplane tubeset is just about the culmination of lots of years of AL work.

Quote:
Does Gianni Motta still make frames? I had a tri coloured one before the Gios. I liked it a lot but the top tube was too short. I wouldn't mind a nice steel frame again. Something in about a 58 cm.
about Gianni Motta, but if you want steel, check out the Paceline Forums or Velocipede Salon. VS is THE place to talk to guys like Richard Sachs, et al. Keep an eye on craigslist and/or ebay. There's been some stuff selling for fairly cheaply here in the DC area 'cause no one wants steel any more.

M
Old 09-14-2012, 05:50 AM   #25214
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
Doug,
Chest mount. Safer for the camera.

More stable too.

M
Old 09-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #25215
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by gummee! View Post
chest mount. Safer for the camera. More stable too.
+1
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: