User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 54 votes, 4.41 average. Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #25246
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,330
I finally got round to fitting a new Conti Gatorskin to the rear and, it was a bitch to fit - I ended up clamping the tire on using a spring clamp to stop it rolling of the wheel. So, my question is how do I re-fit the tire in the field - is there something that will stop the tire rolling of the wheel as I come at it from the other direction (if that makes sense) ?

Cheers
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #25247
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I finally got round to fitting a new Conti Gatorskin to the rear and, it was a bitch to fit - I ended up clamping the tire on using a spring clamp to stop it rolling of the wheel. So, my question is how do I re-fit the tire in the field - is there something that will stop the tire rolling of the wheel as I come at it from the other direction (if that makes sense) ?

Cheers
IME the tire stretches a hair, making it easier to get back on after the first installation. ...but Gatorskins rarely flat. Get a bead jack for those really tough to install tires so you don't pinch any tubes.

Oh, and what a tool:

M
Old 09-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #25248
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
IME the tire stretches a hair, making it easier to get back on after the first installation. ...but Gatorskins rarely flat. Get a bead jack for those really tough to install tires so you don't pinch any tubes.

Oh, and what a tool:

M
Is that bead tool small enough to carry on the bike ? I got the tire on in the end but I just worry about out in the field.

Oh yeah, what a complete and utter tool. I'll simply never understand why people do shit like that - why ? What is the point of doing that - I'll never understand assholes.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 09-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #25249
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,157
Quote:
Is that bead tool small enough to carry on the bike ? I got the tire on in the end but I just worry about out in the field.
Bout 6" long and about an inch in dia. So its mostly portable. Won't fit in a seat back unless you're carrying a kitchen sink sized bag.

Quote:
Oh yeah, what a complete and utter tool. I'll simply never understand why people do shit like that - why ? What is the point of doing that - I'll never understand assholes.
Dood had LOTS of opportunity to go round em but sat there being a yahoo.

M
Old 09-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #25250
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Bout 6" long and about an inch in dia. So its mostly portable. Won't fit in a seat back unless you're carrying a kitchen sink sized bag.

Dood had LOTS of opportunity to go round em but sat there being a yahoo.

M
I ordered one so we'll see how it goes.

Not only did that retard have plenty of opportunities to pass, people ended up passing HIM/HER as he was being such a dick.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 09-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #25251
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 17,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
That's strange. Must be the way you hold the grip.

If the pinky was involved, then, it would be ulnar nerve related.
I was thinking it was something in the fit of my gloves - probably a bend in the material that was too tight at one particular point.

Thanks for the input - nice to know what it isn't!
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:46 AM   #25252
konacyclist
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougfromindy View Post
I have a 48 euro foot , wide in width.
I am having some trouble finding an SPD shimano shoe with a wider width and a wider toe box. Its for a road bike but just after something comfy , could be a MTB shoe as well, decent price, don't need anything high end at all.
Can any of you nerds recommend something? Thanks
What you should try are Sidi shoes in Mega (wide) version. Not all of the Sidi line comes in Mega sizing but the ones that do are usually the ticket for wider feet.
konacyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #25253
Brek81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Alright, I received the Look Keo 2 Max pedals, and they're fine. They really haven't changed much, have they? But while reading through the directions there is a weight limit of 220 lbs. I'm heavier than that (I was 224 when I was 18 FFS).

Am I about to stomp my foot straight down to the tarmac and make love to my frame or shouldn't I be concerned? I didn't think I bought anything exotic, I thought these were chromoly spindles?

What's the weight limit on the titanium spindled pedals, 150 lbs?

Anyone remember the titanium spindled Campy Super Record quills which did break from time to time?
Ive ridden a few k on the keos, and very rarely do i weigh less then 220lbs :P No problems so far with the keos, now spds on the other hand....
Brek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #25254
Brek81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
The 1200k that I attempted officially ends in about 10 minutes.

5. I fell asleep riding more than once. That's scary - that led to three different dirt naps - once by a grain silo, one by a flagpole and one in a ditch in tall grass.
Congrats on the finish! I'm still getting into the LD stuff, and was wondering about falling asleep. You planning on PBP in '15?
Brek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #25255
CatfishRacing
Just a rider.

Oddometer: 542
I'm getting ready to ditch my TV provider.
Is there a place that I can download bicycle racing?
I know I can pay for the Giro and the Tour but I never watch them live so I don't care if I'm a little behind.
Basically I'm looking for a Racing4.me but with bicycles.
Anything?
IBA #12835
AMA Lifer
CatfishRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #25256
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,496
Quote:

Cheers
They definitely stretch a bit as they age. They're a bitch to mount when new, but they go on/off pretty easily after a couple hundred miles.

(I didn't have to change them due to a puncture flat, but I did have a tube go out on one due to a hole on the rim side.)
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #25257
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
The 1200k that I attempted officially ends in about 10 minutes.

Things that went wrong:
1. We had cold, driving rain the entire first day which was a tab over 250 miles. I don't recall my time but I'll post it later.
2. I'm guessing that less than half of the 33 that started the event, finished it. I'll provide that later.
3. My ring finger is numb
4. Both feet are numb around the toes
5. I fell asleep riding more than once. That's scary - that led to three different dirt naps - once by a grain silo, one by a flagpole and one in a ditch in tall grass.
6. My dyno lights failed - luckily, I carry battery backups. They sucked.
7. Over three days, I got 7 hours of sleep.

Things that went right:
1. I finished at roughly 86:20 which was several hours before the 90-hr time limit..

I don't have the exactly time and will provide it later when I do a proper ride report. Right now, I'm going to bed.

Well done.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #25258
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,730
Quick question. I am planning on taking the MTB out this evening, but after a weekend full of rain I expect the local trail to be a bit damp. Should I lower the psi in the tires a couple of notches? I normally ride at about 33/35 f/r. Would lowering to maybe 31/33 or so help with the mud I expect to be out there today? Or just leave it be and see what happens?
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #25259
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brek81 View Post
Congrats on the finish! I'm still getting into the LD stuff, and was wondering about falling asleep. You planning on PBP in '15?
Yes. I'll do my best to stay interested to ride PBP in 2015.

I've been giving a little thought to getting sleepy and I think the best advice is what I recall from past discussions on various forums: avoid caffeine for several weeks prior to event so that when you need it, your body will react better to the caffeine.

I'll ask the question again down on the rando list and see if that's consistent with their advice.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #25260
k7
Ancien cyclist

CO Last Chance Day 1

I think we had just make the turn onto Imboden Road when my front wheel was caught it a deep trench that some farm implement had dug into the pavement. The pavement was wet and we had been in a cold, driving rain since the 0300 departure from the Quality Inn in Louisville CO.

I felt the bike start to go down and then, as I struggled to unclip both feet, I managed to bang my right knee and ankle on the main tube and crankset.

That was the first moment when I wanted to quit. It would have been so easy to turn around, ride the 36 miles or so back to the hotel and simply enjoy the Boulder area for the next few days. I'm an admitted fair-weather rider for has lived in Arizona for too long. I can deal with the heat but not the cold and certainly not the cold and rain.

There also seemed to be a little peer pressure at work in the hotel lobby before we pulled out. Several riders decided not to wear leg-warmers or tights. The temps outside were close to 60F and I think the heat in the lobby fooled a few people into a false sense of security.

I talked to one rider in the lobby who stated he was there to “get my man-card stamped”. I was somewhat amused at his statement and wished him well. I assumed he meant that he had ridden a 1200 the year before and needed this one to maintain his status. Once you ride a 1200, you don't have to ride the full brevet series the next year to qualify for another 1200. Makes sense.

Having recovered from the near miss, I settled into a steady groove and tried to keep riders in sight as we aimed for Byers. At 71 miles, that was the first control and I couldn't wait to get off the bike and enjoy a hot cup of coffee and a snack! I pulled in at 0811 and the clerk added a small smiley face when she signed my card. I didn't notice the little smiley face until I was checking my times for this report.

The plan had been to maintain a 14-mph rolling average, be off the bike no more than 15 or 30 minutes between the controls and stay in the control no more than 30 minutes unless it was an overnight stay. Clearly, the plan didn't include cold rain and driving winds but taking just over 5 hours to cover 71 miles put me exactly where I wanted to be.

As I pulled into the control, my friend David grabbed my bike and told me to get inside and get a drink. A cup of coffee and a spot on the floor never felt so good! I got my water bottle topped off, made a few equipment adjustments and was back on the bike. Anton at 55 miles was next up and I was looking forward to another short break.

When we arrived in Anton, everyone piled into the only store in town – a cold, wet kind of shivering mass of cyclists. The clerks at the store were amused at our plight and went out of their way to sign our cards, point out where to find food we could warm up and didn't seem to mind when we collapsed on their floor to rest, relax and eat.

When I stepped outside to start the next leg, I was amazed to discover that the temps had dropped a bit more and the wind was picking up. It was now into the low 50's/hgh 40's. Normally, that's tolerable but add wet and wind to the occasion, the chill factor kicks in. While it was still early in the ride though but I could tell some weren't enjoying the adventure.

I have a little experience built on years of kayak trips, motorcycle trips into Mexico, camping, bike-touring and backpacking which has taught me several lessons.

First, the weather being experienced now will change sooner or later. The forecast for the CO Last Chance was that the next few days would be spectacular so the immediate goal was to get to Atwood where a warm shower, food and bed was waiting.

Second, if you're wet/tired/cold/hungry, everyone else on the same trip is also wet/tired/cold/hungry so complaining accomplishes nothing. Be a friend to someone, cheer them up, give them a pat on the back and if you can't manage that, at least don't drag anyone else down by complaining about the weather.

I stepped back inside the store to continue the ride. Those nagging doubts were creeping in again but it was just 1:15 pm and at 126 miles, I was pretty much on-schedule with my time. Given that, I decided to press-on when I noticed the other riders using plastic grocery bags as wind breaks! I knew this was a common trick and started to grab a few more for myself until I remembered that I had another layer of clothing in my bags. I grabbed those items, went back inside and put those items on.

I was in the control for 45 minutes – clearly, that stop cost me a little time but the extra layer was a life-saver for me. I guess sometimes, you need to slow down to go faster.

The rest of the day was more of the same – cold, rain and windy. The stretch between St Francis at 208 miles and Atwood at 251 miles was particularly brutal. The cumulative impact of strong, long, rolling hills, the weather and the miles was impacting most of us. I rode with Bill R and we had to work to keep each other awake.

While on the last segment, I expressed my concerns to Bill – my ankle and knee were sore from the earlier incident and I was flat tired. I remembered the advice that our RBA Susan gave us prior to our first 600. She said that no matter how badly we felt, get back on the bike the next day and start riding. She said it would all come together and we would be able to continue. Great advice.

Sure, there were some phenomenal riders who simply killed it. The data indicates that the quickest rider covered the first day at a 14.9 overall average. I managed a lowly 11.4 mph arriving at just after 0100 but the larger point is that I surprised myself by finishing day 1. I'm not sure of my rolling average. I'll try to dig that out later.

The “It'll Do Motel” in Atwood was a welcome site especially since it was at the end of a 2 mile descent! There were riders in various stages of checking in and eating the food provided by the volunteers. We checked in and I made plans with Bill R from MA to leave at 0400. Between getting a shower, a bite to eat and ready for the next day, we got just over 2.5 hours of sleep.

Day 2 to follow....

Pictures from the LC website. My recumbent is on the left:

Leaving the hotel:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: