Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 54 votes, 4.41 average. Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #25291
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brek81 View Post
I've been looking at recumbents, and i'm only 30. I definitely get some looks when i go into the shops asking.
Get yourself a fake gray beard, and be sure to take your fake ID and fake AARP card with you.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:31 AM   #25292
Ridge
power 2 the pedal

Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
The whole stigma thing about recumbents is strange-- here you've got a bicycle that is essentially much more ergonomic right "out of the box" with very little futzing required. But a diamond frame bike tends to require so much more adjustments to stem, saddle, frame size, etc., and even then, a long day on the bike results in a lot of soreness.
I would have to disagree with the standard frame bike discomfort. I've spent 200 mile days on my CAAD9 with nearly 12 hours in the saddle and very little soreness. IF the bike is properly fit to the rider AND the rider has found peace between his saddle and bum, then the discomfort and soreness are mitigated. Proper fit by an experienced professional is absolutely key to comfort and efficiency.

Now, having said that, I've never ridden a recumbent so I have no other comparable data. I've ridden with many on RAGBRAI and local century rides. I've talked at length with many of those riders on the ergonomic differences between the two styles of bikes and I firmly believe it just boils down to personal preference if there is no physical restriction that keeps one from riding a standard frame bike.

In the end though, they are both pedal bikes and as long as people are riding, I don't care what style of frame it's on...

Ridge screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 06:02 AM
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #25293
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
In the end though, they are both pedal bikes and as long as people are riding, I don't care what style of frame it's on...
Hell yeah!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #25294
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,161
Quote:
As much as I join in the good-natured ribbing of 'bent riders, Freds, Poseurs (), etc. ANYone out on a bike is someone to applaud.

So there I was last nite... Headed over to Haymarket to do the Wed ride. Hoping against hope that there was someone that wanted to go crossing. Nope.

So I geared up and went out with the B/road group. I could tell right away that I wasn't on a good nite. Huffing and puffing. Legs felt like poo. Oh well. Maybe I'll ride into it. Yeah! That it! THAT'S the ticket.

No surprise, I got dropped on the hill on Waterfall. Always happens. I was spun out in my 46x12 and in no-man's land. Decided to sit up some to wait for the next hill and attack that.

That lasted about 100m before the legs loaded up with lactic acid and I had to shut down.

The next couple of little rises I attacked ala cross races. I figure if that's a weakness, and cross has lots of little hills/transitions I should probably work on em.

We rode around a bit and a few times when I *thought* everyone was on my wheel, they were 20m back. WTF?! Oh well. I'll sit up and work in again.

So we get to the long somewhat downhill AND tailwind stretch to the sprint line. I've got myself positioned about right for the town line sprint when everyone loses impetus. Oh NOES!

So I jumped.

Once again I went from too far out and faded 20m from the line. As I was listening and looking to my left, someone was trying to come around me on the right. Darn near ran him off the road, but I looked under my right arm a final time as he said something as saw his front wheel. Don't wanna cause any accidents.

Got dropped going back up Waterfall going the other way too, but I'd been on the front of the pack right before the steep section. I was still hoping 'to ride into it.' Managed to keep em in sight down the hill and onto Antioch. Caught the back markers (of the 4-man pack at that point) and worked in. We got up a pretty good head of steam going down Antioch. I didn't have a computer on, so can't say how fast we were going, but I'd say 25-30mph. 3-4 of us working together driving the pace. Yay for pacelines! Even better is YAY for pacelines that work well together. They're a thing of beauty.

So one dood ramps up the pace at the Boy Scout Camp. Next guy in line grabs his wheel. I'm behind that. Second guy pulls off and we're about a km away from the last sprint of the day. I've managed to find myself on the front in a bad spot, so I decide I'm gonna lead it out. So I shift down a few cogs and spin my way up to my top speed. Legs start to load up. [Luke Skywalker]Keep going[/LS] Start to really breathe heavy. [Luke Skywalker]Keep going[/LS] I know this is the LAST effort [Luke Skywalker]Keep going[/LS] I can hold em off! (yeah right!) [Luke Skywalker]Keep going[/LS] So I kept going till I blew sky high. Oh well.

Kept em from coming around me till about 100-150m to the line when my legs went BANG! at the bottom of the overpass over the freeway. They were evidently impressed, but *I* knew I was riding for crap. When they came up and said 'good ride' when I was changing back into 'civvies' all I could do was smile and say 'thanks!' knowing all the while that it was a sub-par effort on my part.

M
Old 09-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #25295
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,504
With all the great rides here, I feel a little silly asking my question.

I'm doing a 78 mile Charity ride on the 29th. I plan on doing a 20, 50 and 15 this Fri/Sat and Sunday. I have been riding every week for the past 8 weeks or so. What kind of riding or other kind of exercise should I do, if any, the 5 days before my big (for me) ride? Don't wanna wear out my knees or legs.

Thanks.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #25296
Chisenhallw
Kilted Terror

Oddometer: 3,672
I wouldn't say riding or exercise (a little basic yoga wouldn't hurt). I'd say equipment & nutrition are more important. Find out what works for your rocket fuel, and make sure the bike fits you right. Like Ridge said above.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #25297
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post

I'm doing a 78 mile Charity ride on the 29th. I plan on doing a 20, 50 and 15 this Fri/Sat and Sunday. I have been riding every week for the past 8 weeks or so. What kind of riding or other kind of exercise should I do, if any, the 5 days before my big (for me) ride? Don't wanna wear out my knees or legs.

Thanks.
I usually ride ~74 miles, 2-3 times per week. Nutrition and pace, for me.

I start out sipping a Gatorade (20oz), along with plenty of water (42oz). At my turnaround (~37mi), I grab two slices of pizza (carbs) and wash it down with a 12oz Mt Dew (caffeine). I grab two or three 32oz waters and wash down the Mt Dew with a partial and fill my bottles. That gives me ~40-60oz (depending on temp) of water for the return. I do have to pee a lot, but, I'm hydrated. I don't always drink everything, while on the bike, and finish at home. I take a couple Kashi bars, but, rarely ever eat one (only if hunger pains start). I usually have a small bowl of natural cereal, in the morning. I usually grill tilapia or salmon and steam some veggies, as soon as I get home. For me, the pizza and Mt Dew don't bloat. I've found some foods, sodas (Coke, Dr Pepper, Pepsi, Sprite, Orange Crush), and, for sure, Gatorade will bloat me on the return trip. You gotta' experiment and stick to what works.

I ride whatever pace I feel like. I use to ride to a pace, but, have found I'm a lot more susceptible to "bonking". If my GF goes along, I ride whatever she feels like. I try to stop every 12-15 miles, just to give my muscles and butt a break. I do find that stretching my hamstrings, in the first ~10 miles pays off. At my turnaround, I try to limit my break to 30 minutes. Any more than that and I start to stiffen. I usually sit against a wall, with my legs straight out to keep my hamstrings stretched, at my break.

I give myself a recovery day, between rides. If it were me, I'd do the 20 (or more), skip Saturday, and shoot for the 50 on Sunday.

Good luck.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #25298
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post

Thanks.
I've found that if my training mileage hasn't exceeded my event mileage, I'll take at least 3 days before the event off to rest. The weekend before I'll go pretty hard on Saturday with a short recovery ride on Sunday, but then just an easy spin in the middle of the week to keep loose.

Like duc said, work on your nutrition. Find what you can eat before and during long rides. My wife loves uncut oatmeal before a ride, but it makes me sick to my stomach after about 10 miles. I'm happier with a hard-boiled egg, a banana and some coffee for breakfast.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #25299
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Hey Gummee, do you have easy access to that link you posted for knock-off carbon frames? (Tried searching this thread, but couldn't find it.)

I'm thinking about surprising my wife with a new frame/fork later this year and was going to look for something similar to the Specialized Ruby in a 54.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #25300
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Hey Gummee, do you have easy access to that link you posted for knock-off carbon frames? (Tried searching this thread, but couldn't find it.)

I'm thinking about surprising my wife with a new frame/fork later this year and was going to look for something similar to the Specialized Ruby in a 54.

Thanks!
There's a few places out there that are either doing carbon frames or in the case of Price Point, AL frames too.

Pricepoint.com
velobuild.com has group buys on those frames.
pedalforce (aka Ritte's carbon bike)

M
Old 09-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #25301
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
There's a few places out there that are either doing carbon frames or in the case of Price Point, AL frames too.

Pricepoint.com
velobuild.com has group buys on those frames.
pedalforce (aka Ritte's carbon bike)

M
Thanks!
Old 09-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #25302
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:

Absolutely!
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #25303
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post

Thanks!
These guys have a bunch, too.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #25304
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 17,831
Quote:
I've talked at length with many of those riders on the ergonomic differences between the two styles of bikes and I firmly believe it just boils down to personal preference if there is no physical restriction that keeps one from riding a standard frame bike.

I would say personal preferences or personal restrictions. In my case, it's the latter - my neck won't allow me to ride a DF.

Quote:
Oh hell yeah. I love riding my bike and will willingly ride with just about anyone/anywhere. Like is good - "I ride a mf'n bike".
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #25305
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,756
I've settled on a 30 mile loop as my route.
First go was 2:48 mins. 2 weeks ago.
Then 2:20. Last week.
Last night 2:06hrs.

Bit of a back story.
I had surgery on my feet and was bed ridden for three months. I normally play rugby so the surgery precluded running or rugby or activity. Healing slowly and trying to get back in the swing of things. Been on my feet for two months now but still have pain. Since I can't play rugby or run (i only ever ran to stay in shape for rugby) i'been trying to ride more frequently to make up.

I've always been a masher/ grinder and just not able to spin, but the gospel of spin is becoming more clear to me. I really, really want to average 15 mph for this loop, but most of the back half is a long slow incline, before a longish decline that leads all the way home. Trying to up my average speed really opened my eyes to the spin. Still not quite doing it right.

Anyway, this excerpt is from last night.

"So I turn up Corbin from Devonshire and try to Lance Armstrong that uphill in whatever gear I was going 17 miles an hour just a minute before.
That shit lasted all of 20 seconds as I had to sit my ass down on the seat, rapidly change gears (thank God I have a triple) and start to spin like crazy to go 5 miles an hour (so everybody sees you. Thanks Will)

So about five minutes later, sweat is dripping from my face (it's 3 am) and i'm approaching a little area near the freeway that is somewhat undeveloped; people ride horses, and there are mountain bike trails and stuff there, and I axe myself;

a what's the likelihood that there are bears, wolves, coyotes, panthers in this general area
b what's the chance that these animals are nocturnal? maybe diurnal

Then being that I didn't grow up here I tried to think what our predators habits are at home.
Apex predators; lions leopards etc. Definitely will hunt at night. Too lazy during the day. Therefore any pumas/ panthers can be assumed to be nocturnal too. Okay then.
We don't have bears in Africa. Big question mark.
Scavengers and pack hunters. Hyenas, jackals, wild dogs. Definitely will hunt at night too. Although they do also hunt during the day.
You know random stuff. Stuff to keep your mind off the pain.

I crest the rise and there is the slightest downhill before I enter the pain cave again so I try to gain as much momentum as possible in that 20 meters so I can make the final push up to Rinaldi. As I approach a T junction a coyote casually cuts across the intersection, completely oblivious to the fact that there is a stop sign there, and I have right of way. I'm about to cuss him out on his bad traffic manners when another one does the same thing.

REALLY DUDE?!?!?!?! I nearly ran your ass over, can't you see the bloody stop sign. What if i'd run into you? Do you even have insurance? You realise I am clipped in and a fall could have incapacitated me here? Were you going to call 911 or just run off like the bitch that you are? (Caveat; I didn't check for gender, so I don't know if these were females, or just some inconsiderate, maybe drunk males. Remember; 3am, bars closed an hour ago, maybe they are only just getting home....)

So while my left brain is busy processing this information, my amygdala is busy taking action too. You know how Dr Banner gets angry and there's that transformation into The Hulk? Well, mine is nothing like that; imagine a fat boy holding his breath, concentrating real hard, and squeezing like he's really trying to fart. Or hold it in. Yeah, well, it's kinda like that. Except it's more primal, because as i'm doing that, i'm secreting serious amounts of pheromones to communicate with these animals at their level; a combination of Wolverine (when he's really pissed, not when he is drunk and cage fighting to make some beer money) a sabre tooth tiger, a Tyrannisaurus Rex, fucking Godzila, and just a hint of Tinkerbell. You might run into someone who's got the same pheromones + Cthulu, so you might need some magic or some shit.

Anyway, as my body is secreting these powerful pheromones (you humans excrete that piddly adrenaline shit) these coyotes are circling around and following me, like they read my mind and are itching for a fight. They might have been drinking, remember? So i'm huffing and puffin, pedalling like crazy, going 5 miles an hour getting ready to go all buck while (oh yes, we've gone ghetto now, shit's about to go down!) on these damn coyotes, and I spy them retreating into the distance, giving up the fight.

I think they realised they couldn't catch me. That's what my left brain tells me.

Me, I think it was the pheromones....."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: