Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 315 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 04:25 AM   #25306
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,179
funny stuff there neanderthal.

damn you've already took 40+ minutes off your loop, keep at it .
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:58 AM   #25307
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
As I approach a T junction a coyote casually cuts across the intersection, completely oblivious to the fact that there is a stop sign there, and I have right of way. I'm about to cuss him out on his bad traffic manners when another one does the same thing.

REALLY DUDE?!?!?!?! I nearly ran your ass over, can't you see the bloody stop sign. What if i'd run into you? Do you even have insurance? You realise I am clipped in and a fall could have incapacitated me here? Were you going to call 911 or just run off like the bitch that you are? (Caveat; I didn't check for gender, so I don't know if these were females, or just some inconsiderate, maybe drunk males. Remember; 3am, bars closed an hour ago, maybe they are only just getting home....)

So while my left brain is busy processing this information, my amygdala is busy taking action too. You know how Dr Banner gets angry and there's that transformation into The Hulk? Well, mine is nothing like that; imagine a fat boy holding his breath, concentrating real hard, and squeezing like he's really trying to fart. Or hold it in. Yeah, well, it's kinda like that. Except it's more primal, because as i'm doing that, i'm secreting serious amounts of pheromones to communicate with these animals at their level; a combination of Wolverine (when he's really pissed, not when he is drunk and cage fighting to make some beer money) a sabre tooth tiger, a Tyrannisaurus Rex, fucking Godzila, and just a hint of Tinkerbell. You might run into someone who's got the same pheromones + Cthulu, so you might need some magic or some shit.

Anyway, as my body is secreting these powerful pheromones (you humans excrete that piddly adrenaline shit) these coyotes are circling around and following me, like they read my mind and are itching for a fight. They might have been drinking, remember? So i'm huffing and puffin, pedalling like crazy, going 5 miles an hour getting ready to go all buck while (oh yes, we've gone ghetto now, shit's about to go down!) on these damn coyotes, and I spy them retreating into the distance, giving up the fight.

I think they realised they couldn't catch me. That's what my left brain tells me.

Me, I think it was the pheromones....."
Excellent!
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #25308
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,564

I <3 Bikesnobnyc.

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2012...our-hands.html

The fact is, disc brakes on road bikes is inevitable, since if there's one thing that Freds hate it's knowing how to work on any part of their bicycle. Instead, they prefer to have a rolling inscrutable mystery between their legs that they take in to the bike shop at regular prescribed service intervals, like a leased BMW. The bicycle industry has served them well, too. Thanks to integrated seatposts, they can no longer raise or lower their own saddles. (And even when they could they couldn't do it without paying for a professional bicycle fitting first.) Thanks to crabon wheels the tubular tire has made a resurgence, which is something no Fred knows how to glue. Thanks to electronic shifting they need a qualified technician to plug their derailleurs into a diagnostic tool like they do when their BMWs display a "check engine" light. The weak link is of course the brakes, which even the most inept Fred can still figure out how to adjust, but with the advent of disc brakes the only form of maintenance a typical Fred will be able to perform on his road bike is refilling his water bottle.

HAHAHHAHAHAHA
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #25309
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
New SOMA stuff.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #25310
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Life is good - "I ride a mf'n bike".
Brilliant!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #25311
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,671
Ducnut, I absolutely LOVE my Soma Juice SS. I've had it since 2010 and will never part with it. I'm really stoked to see the redesign on the Juice and glad to see they finally incorporated the sliding dropouts (just wish I had them on my frame).

I'd love to have a double cross disc to replace my Vassago Fisticuff, but just not in the cards right now...
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #25312
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post

I <3 Bikesnobnyc.

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2012...our-hands.html

The fact is, disc brakes on road bikes is inevitable, since if there's one thing that Freds hate it's knowing how to work on any part of their bicycle. Instead, they prefer to have a rolling inscrutable mystery between their legs that they take in to the bike shop at regular prescribed service intervals, like a leased BMW. The bicycle industry has served them well, too. Thanks to integrated seatposts, they can no longer raise or lower their own saddles. (And even when they could they couldn't do it without paying for a professional bicycle fitting first.) Thanks to crabon wheels the tubular tire has made a resurgence, which is something no Fred knows how to glue. Thanks to electronic shifting they need a qualified technician to plug their derailleurs into a diagnostic tool like they do when their BMWs display a "check engine" light. The weak link is of course the brakes, which even the most inept Fred can still figure out how to adjust, but with the advent of disc brakes the only form of maintenance a typical Fred will be able to perform on his road bike is refilling his water bottle.

HAHAHHAHAHAHA
Who's Fred?

Edit - Wiki

"Fred is a derisive term used by "serious" road cyclists to describe other cyclists who do not conform to serious road cyclists' norms with regard to dress and equipment, and appear amateurish to them."

Old 09-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #25313
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,103
For you mountain bike guys, I have some nice stuff up for sale in the flea market... http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827631
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #25314
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
My new town-bike, a 2010 Specialized Globe Vienna 02, large.

i'll probably replace the crankset and derailleurs. the seat suits me just fine so far, but I can only ride very easy-short distances until my foot finishes healing.

I put some nice wellgo pin pedals on it, with sealed bearings. I've dropped the stem 2cm, and there's 2 more 10mm spacers to go. I'm thinking of dropping it all the way, and getting a straighter bar with no rise, maybe a slightly longer stem, too.... but not doing anything drastic til I've done some 10-20 mile rides.

Its a trigger shift 3x8, using Altus (cheap) parts. the frame is aluminum. 700x35c tires.

edit: weighed it, 28 lbs 4 oz. ok, its not a racing bike

pierce screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 05:55 PM
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #25315
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
. I've dropped the stem 2cm, and there's 2 more 10mm spacers to go. I'm thinking of dropping it all the way, and getting a straighter bar with no rise, maybe a slightly longer stem, too.... but not doing anything drastic til I've done some 10-20 mile rides.
You can, also, invert the stem. I think running the spacers underneath a flipped stem looks better. Vanity means everything.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #25316
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,080
I've got a big case of the fuckits

No ride today

DID tune up a buddy's bike and glued a pair of Grifos onto the Zipp 440 wheels I acquired

M
Old 09-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #25317
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
You can, also, invert the stem. I think running the spacers underneath a flipped stem looks better. Vanity means everything.
after I get the position dialed in, I plan to trim the head tube so there will be no top spacers. I'll go straight bars first before I get a longer stem, and yeah, the flip idea sounds good for trying out other positions...
Old 09-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #25318
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 868
4 hrs. out to the dam and back on the MTB today. I would normally do this ride on the 'cross bike, but the trails are totally f'ing sandblasted and I didn't feel like fixing pinch flats and dealing with dented rims. We need some rain up in here, yo!
Old 09-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #25319
ErrinV
D Boon!

Oddometer: 2,292
Hi all,

Today is the final day of voting for my video. I was wondering if some more ADVriders might take a couple minutes and watch my video. If'n you like it, I'd appreciate any and all votes. I'm in 2nd place right now and it's getting down to the wire. It would be amazing to ride my bike in Alaska, true ADVrider style.

Watch the video by Errin Vasquez and vote here.

Thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrinV View Post
Fellow ADVriders. I recently made a video for the Salsa Cycles Video Contest using my Fargo Ti and the city of LA as the backdrop. My video made the finals and now there's a chance that I could win the Grand Prize! What's that you say? Well, it's a Mukluk Ti Complete AND a trip to Alaska to ride it!

The voting is open to the public and I need as many votes I can get. Votes are made by logging into your facebook and twitter accounts. One or the other, but if you have both you can vote twice.

I'd really appreciate it if any of you would consider voting for my video. I've never entered a video contest like this before and I feel like I have a really good shot at it. If you have any friends that would vote please tell them too!

Here's the link to my blog with the video and here's the link to the Salsa website to place your vote.

Please help send me to Alaska!
Old 09-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #25320
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,080
Went mtn biking this AM instead of schlepping up to Charm City (aka Baltimore) to race cross. So I tried to replicate the efforts in a cross race out at Fountainhead. Not quite the same, but my legs are still tired.

Lots of high $$ stuff. Some mid-level stuff. Then there's me on a $100 Sette frame and a guy on a $500 chinese carbon 29er. Somethingsomething 023 frame. Looked pretty good for what it was. He was happy with it. We went just as fast or faster than the guys on the high zoot stuff.

Which brings me to: it ain't the bike doing the riding.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: