Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #25336
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
ErrinV - looks like you pulled it out w/ a little help from your friends?
Just saw that, on the Salsa FB page.
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #25337
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post

We have the Ergon GP1 models.
Same here, love'm.

I loosened them just a bit so they could move with some force, rode around for a while to find the sweet spot, adjusted them accordingly and then tightened them down for good.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #25338
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,537
Quote:
. .
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #25339
ErrinV
D Boon!

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
ErrinV - looks like you pulled it out w/ a little help from your friends?
Yep! We did it Gerry! I say we because there is no way, NO WAY, I could've done this alone. In the end every single vote counted and I really appreciate everyone that took the time to vote. There was only a difference of 5 votes! That's insane!

I may not be riding the moto much but the spirt of ADVrider is strong in me. Between brevets, riding the Great Divide and soon to be Alaska, the feeling I get on the bike is the same I get riding with you guys. Thanks for everything.

Errin
Old 09-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #25340
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
That they are.

We have the Ergon GP1 models.
oooh, I'm gonna have to find a store that has these so I can try them out for size on my big hands.

http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/gp3

I tried clamp-on mountain bike bar-ends on my stumpie FSR, and didn't like them, they were just too wide with the bars on that bike, but the straight bars I use on my hybrid are a fair bit narrower... but these look like they could be a nice alternative to dropbars for having alternate hand positions.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:49 AM   #25341
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,818
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

So, in a fit of semi boredom, I decided to do my 30 mile route again (it's been weekly so far, but it's only been five days since the coyotes.) I see quite a few of you guys ride a lot more than once a week. Even decided to do it backwards, and while i'd try to achieve my target 15mph/ avg, it'd be more of an easy spin. We mashers don't really know what that is but there's no harm in trying. And variety would alleviate boredom.

As I said before, my normal route has a pretty long gradual uphill about a quarter of the way in, and the last bit is a slight downhill. Well, turns out the first quarter is also downhill, as I was to discover to my chagrin. Going backwards meant I started with a long gradual uphill, with one steep incline that had me in the second lowest gear ratio and unable to capitalise on the decline after that (this is 3 miles into my ride mind you) and I had to keep shifting around in the seat coz my boys were not comfortable no matter what I did.

Going backwards opened my eyes to the fact that there's two uphill quarters, and one downhill half. Feast or famine then. I wasn't as proficient at changing gears to maintain a spin and found myself mashing several times. Time was a respectable 2:19 for 30.5 miles. 13.1 mph average, a regression from my previous time, but considering I nearly burnt myself out in the first 5 miles and was fighting gravity the entire last quarter i'm happy with it.

No coyotes. But ghetto bird was overhead when I left, and the next block over was cordoned off when I got back.

I think i'll stick to my normal route, which allows me to bump up the average right at the beginning before the long uphill slog. But at least it rewards me with a downhill last section to make up time.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #25342
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
ahhh, that makes perfect sense.

ok, I'll get me a nice skinny black 5mm when i'm done with trying out fits. 10mm sticking up is kinda fugly. also rescued the (almost) straight bars off my old bentup bike, and plan to measure to verify they will fit the brifters and grips....

the new bike has these "ergo" grips that are like flat on top, something like these...

haven't decided yet if I like them or not. if not, its back to Ourys
Things'll fit. That's one standard that hasn't changed in the time I've been riding bicycles. Diameters at the stem have changed a few times, but the ends of the bars are still the same.

AFA the grips: Buddy of mine has some on his bike. Says you have to play with the orientation to get em set up where they hit your hand right

M
Old 09-25-2012, 06:11 AM   #25343
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
You need to get hooked up with Mr Head. He'll learn ya the right way to ride.

M
Old 09-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #25344
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrinV View Post
I may not be riding the moto much but the spirt of ADVrider is strong in me. Between brevets, riding the Great Divide and soon to be Alaska, the feeling I get on the bike is the same I get riding with you guys. Thanks for everything.
Envy!!!!!
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #25345
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
ahhh, that makes perfect sense.

ok, I'll get me a nice skinny black 5mm when i'm done with trying out fits. 10mm sticking up is kinda fugly. also rescued the (almost) straight bars off my old bentup bike, and plan to measure to verify they will fit the brifters and grips....

the new bike has these "ergo" grips that are like flat on top, something like these...

haven't decided yet if I like them or not. if not, its back to Ourys
I've been using those for months. It's the only way I can ride my bike for over an hour without the discomfort caused by conventional round grips. I frankly don't understand how anyone can stand round grips.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #25346
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I've been using those for months. It's the only way I can ride my bike for over an hour without the discomfort caused by conventional round grips. I frankly don't understand how anyone can stand round grips.
I have found that my discomfort come from the bar bend, not the grips....
mud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #25347
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,401
I liked this quote I came across today.

Quote:
"To be a cyclist is to be a student of pain....at cycling's core lies pain, hard and bitter as the pit inside a juicy peach. It doesn't matter if you're sprinting for an Olympic medal, a town sign, a trailhead, or the rest stop with the homemade brownies. If you never confront pain, you're missing the essence of the sport. Without pain, there's no adversity. Without adversity, no challenge. Without challenge, no improvement. No improvement, no sense of accomplishment and no deep-down joy. Might as well be playing Tiddly-Winks." -- Scott Martin
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #25348
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I liked this quote I came across today.
I think it captures why so many of my 'group of friends' rides turn into solo rides with us all strung out between turns or stops until we regroup.

We're all at wildly different levels of fitness so we all ride until we board our own private pain-train and then watch the remaining group walk away.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #25349
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post

So, in a fit of semi boredom, I decided to do my 30 mile route again (it's been weekly so far, but it's only been five days since the coyotes.) I see quite a few of you guys ride a lot more than once a week. Even decided to do it backwards, and while i'd try to achieve my target 15mph/ avg, it'd be more of an easy spin. We mashers don't really know what that is but there's no harm in trying. And variety would alleviate boredom.

As I said before, my normal route has a pretty long gradual uphill about a quarter of the way in, and the last bit is a slight downhill. Well, turns out the first quarter is also downhill, as I was to discover to my chagrin. Going backwards meant I started with a long gradual uphill, with one steep incline that had me in the second lowest gear ratio and unable to capitalise on the decline after that (this is 3 miles into my ride mind you) and I had to keep shifting around in the seat coz my boys were not comfortable no matter what I did.

Going backwards opened my eyes to the fact that there's two uphill quarters, and one downhill half. Feast or famine then. I wasn't as proficient at changing gears to maintain a spin and found myself mashing several times. Time was a respectable 2:19 for 30.5 miles. 13.1 mph average, a regression from my previous time, but considering I nearly burnt myself out in the first 5 miles and was fighting gravity the entire last quarter i'm happy with it.

No coyotes. But ghetto bird was overhead when I left, and the next block over was cordoned off when I got back.

I think i'll stick to my normal route, which allows me to bump up the average right at the beginning before the long uphill slog. But at least it rewards me with a downhill last section to make up time.
Nice work. If you start by heading uphill, go easy until you're warmed up. Trying to push the pace right off the start is a great way to burn out long before the end of the ride.

Regarding the discomfort, do you have decent shorts? Do you use anything like Chamois Butt'r?

You're in the SFV, right? I ride from Sherman Oaks to Griffith Park and back a couple weekends each month. Usually depart around 7:30-8am. Slow and easy 25mi bike path cruises to hilly 45mi routes via Mulholland, depending on my mood. Occasionally I join up with some friends in Tarzana and loop around Chatsworth Lake as well. That group tends to be more about rest stops at Starbucks than hauling ass, though.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like to join up sometime.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #25350
Brek81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge
To be a cyclist is to be a student of pain....at cycling's core lies pain, hard and bitter as the pit inside a juicy peach. It doesn't matter if you're sprinting for an Olympic medal, a town sign, a trailhead, or the rest stop with the homemade brownies. If you never confront pain, you're missing the essence of the sport. Without pain, there's no adversity. Without adversity, no challenge. Without challenge, no improvement. No improvement, no sense of accomplishment and no deep-down joy. Might as well be playing Tiddly-Winks." -- Scott Martin
At first I wanted to disagree with this, but as i thought a little more i came to realize how true it is. My favorite rides have been where you feel like leaving the bike on the side of the road and walking home. Thinking about how asinine it is to be hitting max heart rate going up a gravel hill with a temp of 103 out, and you have been out of water for 30 min..... only to do it again 3 days later. Is cycling some sort of mental condition?
Brek81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: