Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 297 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #25411
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Yea what.
Lots of dogs and May thunderstorms. I rode many of these roads in the late 70's.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #25412
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Rugby season's started up, and my cycling's had to go straight out the window. No more time for hours on the bike.

Anybody got a good cycling workout that takes about 20 minutes? I might have to buy an indoor trainer.

I've had to give it up now. 28 years of dedication, blood sweat and tears. And the two injuries that broke the camels back were off season touch games.

Technically I qualify for the Catalina Old Boys Tournament though... Might show up on a random Saturday and play in a B side game just for shits n giggles.

Riding long always gave me an aerobic advantage at the beginning of training, but getting different muscles, running muscles, used it was no fun. Bicycles were made so we wouldn't have to run.

Good luck in the season.

neanderthal screwed with this post 09-28-2012 at 10:37 PM
neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:52 AM   #25413
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post

I've had to give it up now. 28 years of dedication, blood sweat and tears. And the two injuries that broke the camels back were off season touch games.

Technically I qualify for the Catalina Old Boys Tournament though... Might show up on a random Saturday and play in a B side game just for shits n giggles.

Riding long always gave me an aerobic advantage at the beginning of training, but getting different muscles, running muscles, used it was no fun. Bicycles were made so we wouldn't have to run.

Good luck in the season.
One of my few regrets is that I took up rugby fairly late in life. I really wish I'd played it when I was much younger. Great game.....I also wish I'd taken up cycling MUCH earlier than I did.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:15 AM   #25414
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,001
So I used to feed the VA Tech wimmen's rugby team lots of hot dogs and cheap beer... (I worked for a 'hot dog stand.')

So the men's team started to come in too.

They really wanted me to come play. Was about to till one dood came in. He coulda played college football as a linebacker.

At the time, I was 5'8" 155# soaking wet. Took one look at that guy, thought about the size differential and kept on feeding em beers and riding my bicycle(s)

M
Old 09-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #25415
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,001
cyclingfans.com has streaming Lombardy on right now.

27km to go

M
Old 09-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #25416
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,872
Went for my normal ride but it didn't feel right; my ankle was wobbly, my calf muscle was acting up and try as I might, I just couldn't spin. I just struggled the whole time and I was very close to cutting it short and just going home. Decided to stick it out and not worry about my time or pace

I was only five minutes off pace and came to a long downhill section on Rinaldi where I can make up a lot of time in about 5 miles. I work up to speed and oh shit.......... construction. The road is being repaved.

I barely managed to slow down enough to make a turnright before the construction, lost my momentum and just killed my pace when I got lost in a subdivision.

Tempted to go out again today for 35 just so I can make 200 miles in one month. It's already the most cycling i've done in one month in over ten years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
So I used to feed the VA Tech wimmen's rugby team lots of hot dogs and cheap beer... (I worked for a 'hot dog stand.')

So the men's team started to come in too.

They really wanted me to come play. Was about to till one dood came in. He coulda played college football as a linebacker.

At the time, I was 5'8" 155# soaking wet. Took one look at that guy, thought about the size differential and kept on feeding em beers and riding my bicycle(s)

M
One of our guys is as small as the girls who come and play touch rugby with us off season. 5'4. ~130lbs. You woulda done alright.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #25417
reed523
To pedal or not to pedal

Oddometer: 394
Apologies for jumping in here with a random question, but I figured you guys would know. I can't find a recent update on the Blackhawk CO bicycle ban. Is the issue resolved or still in court? Thanks in advance.
reed523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #25418
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed523 View Post
Apologies for jumping in here with a random question, but I figured you guys would know. I can't find a recent update on the Blackhawk CO bicycle ban. Is the issue resolved or still in court? Thanks in advance.
Weak google-foo?

It's with the CO Supremes - awaiting their decision.

From ...err..google:
http://bicyclecolo.org/articles/blac...ban-pg1118.htm
Old 09-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #25419
k7
Ancien cyclist

Recollections from the road

The other day, several riders from the last event were reiminishing over it.

I posted the following comment:
I decided to take a nap beside a busy highway last night. For old times sake.
A new friend, Patrick Chin-Hong, posted:
I decided to pour ice cubes and cold water down my shirt for a few hours while hunching over a strong fan. For old time’s sake.
Lastly, Bill “Meryl” Russell took us home with:
I decided to take psychedelic drugs and narcotics together. For old time’s sake.
Ah....good times.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #25420
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
One of my few regrets is that I took up rugby fairly late in life. I really wish I'd played it when I was much younger. Great game.....I also wish I'd taken up cycling MUCH earlier than I did.
I hear ya. I'm happy I found rugby when I did - I was 30 (I'm 40 now). I starting playing for a local city league in NC and ended up whoring on with Duke's MBA rugby team & going to play in a cup-level tournament in France in 2007 during the World Cup. Now I occasionally join in the local old boys club.

I like playing it, but coaching is definitely sapping my love for the game right now. What a pain in the balls.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:50 AM   #25421
Slimie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,068
Quote:
I hear ya. I'm happy I found rugby when I did - I was 30 (I'm 40 now). I starting playing for a local city league in NC and ended up whoring on with Duke's MBA rugby team & going to play in a cup-level tournament in France in 2007 during the World Cup. Now I occasionally join in the local old boys club.

I like playing it, but coaching is definitely sapping my love for the game right now. What a pain in the balls.
You guys take it easy(ish) playing rugby, even touch rugby. Our last big multi family holiday was made much more interesting when one of the Dad's arrived at the campsite with a broken femur from a tag tackle that went wrong

His wife was not happy at all, she'd had to drive all the way from Liverpool to the the middle of France! The muttering continued for most of the three weeks that we were there.

He hasn't played since...

I'm going to stick to two wheels

-Simon
Slimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #25422
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,265
Quote:

Rugby is the sport I wish I'd played when I was young, back in the days when I was strong, fast, and indestructible. Unfortunately it was virtually unknown in the US then; now I see it sprouting up on university campuses everywhere. Even girls play it.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #25423
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,265
Had a glorious time at Santos yesterday. Having gotten over my fear of clipless pedals, I let loose on the most challenging blue trails, and even hazarded one red trail, just before heading home. My riding buddy Dave, who has accompanied me on virtually every trip up there, said he'd never seen me ride that fast or that smoothly. I felt like I was flying.

The first thing I wanted to do was record some fast sprints. I'm not skilled enough yet to challenge any of the Fast Boyz in the twisties, but on relatively straight sections it's all about brute horsepower, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I ended up with 4 personal records, and my sprint times put me right up there with the records set by two local racers, Mike Simmons and Ted Hollander. I actually beat Simmons in one section, and I'll be gunning for Hollander again next week, when I'm not tired out from previous runs. I'm only one second behind the all time women's sprint record in one section, so I'll be remedying that as well. Can't have a girl beating me.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #25424
goodolguzzi
Guzzen around the hood

Oddometer: 2,234
Ted Wojcik...notdeadyet & still building

goodolguzzi screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 11:37 AM
goodolguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #25425
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,840
All this talk of clipless pedals...

Are y'all saying I should get over my fear of them as well? (Well, not so much fear of them, fear of not being able to put my foot down in time. )
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: