ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 133 votes, 4.76 average. Display Modes
Old 07-29-2006, 08:30 AM   #241
terry.mc
Stop ruining my vacation
 
terry.mc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 5,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
I've considered going to SPD's on the road. A friend of mine swears by their Frog pedals.
Umm, help me out here.

Why is it bad to used the SPD's on the street compared to a "street" system? I used the SPD's because I'm a cheap ass and already had the shoes and a second pair of pedals when I bought the road bike, plus I have a bit of a gear addiction that my wife is trying to cure me of
__________________
Terry Mc
2010 KTM 530 Six Days
terry.mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:54 AM   #242
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by patch29
This thread has been a bad influence. I ordered Paul's Touring Cantis for my Long Haul Trucker. They should be here soon.
Congrats! New bling is always good for a bike!

Post more pics!

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:56 AM   #243
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawidual
Nashbar has been good to me for 15 years or so.

Glad to see crank bros still in the biz, upgraded my MB1 with some
of thier stuff. Great design on thier MTB cranks many years ago.
+1 on the Nashbar thing. I used to go to their store in NoVA and pick thru the sale barge.

DAMHIK Dura Ace 6-7-8sp DT shifters only work with D/A rear derailleurs. THAT was a spendy mistake!

I like to surf www.chucksbikes.com and www.pricepoint.com too. Check em out.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:58 AM   #244
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.mc
Umm, help me out here.

Why is it bad to used the SPD's on the street compared to a "street" system? I used the SPD's because I'm a cheap ass and already had the shoes and a second pair of pedals when I bought the road bike, plus I have a bit of a gear addiction that my wife is trying to cure me of
-umptybillion style points basically.

There's nothing wrong with em, they're just not cool. AND the shoes aren't as light, or as stiff (in general) as dedicated road shoes.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:31 AM   #245
koncha
.
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Oddometer: 10,040
A little advice please. Not that there is any shortage of that around here...

I am looking for a new bike. It will stay on pavement 99% of the time. The other 1% will be hardpack, flat trails. I will be pulling a Burley trailer with my 1 year old in it about 50% of the time. Currently I am riding a 1992 Trek 820 mountain bike. I have taken decent care of it but it is showing its age.

So, I have narrowed it down to 2 bikes that should do everything I want.

Trek 7.3 FX:



The picture shows it with disc brakes but the one I want has standard brakes.

or

Specialized Sirrus:


koncha screwed with this post 07-29-2006 at 11:40 AM
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:37 AM   #246
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra
 
Uncle Pollo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Albuquerque, Neue Messico
Oddometer: 47,047
Lemond Fillmore



Single speed road bike. I does not coast. I like it a lot
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 04:15 PM   #247
2whlrcr
gooligan
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Dubuque, Iowa
Oddometer: 5,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vstrommancer


Single speed road bike. I does not coast. I like it a lot
How does it perform on 10% grades? Both up and down!
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:00 PM   #248
patch29
Surly Rider
 
patch29's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 7,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr
How does it perform on 10% grades? Both up and down!

patch29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:03 PM   #249
MineMapper
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: TS16, UK
Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by koncha
A little advice please. Not that there is any shortage of that around here...

I am looking for a new bike. It will stay on pavement 99% of the time. The other 1% will be hardpack, flat trails. I will be pulling a Burley trailer with my 1 year old in it about 50% of the time. Currently I am riding a 1992 Trek 820 mountain bike. I have taken decent care of it but it is showing its age.

So, I have narrowed it down to 2 bikes that should do everything I want.

Trek 7.3 FX:



The picture shows it with disc brakes but the one I want has standard brakes.
Trust me on this, if you're going to be pulling a trailer at all, get the one with discs. I've pulled our double trailer loaded up with 60lbs of sprog using both my Trek Cross bike (rim brakes) and my 5" travel Santa Cruz Heckler (hydraulic discs). I now gladly put up with the extra weight of the full suspension bike to get the braking ability of the discs. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get discs. Mechanical Avid or Hayes would be fine, but You won't want to ride without them once you have them.
MineMapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:54 AM   #250
koncha
.
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Oddometer: 10,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by MineMapper
Trust me on this, if you're going to be pulling a trailer at all, get the one with discs. I've pulled our double trailer loaded up with 60lbs of sprog using both my Trek Cross bike (rim brakes) and my 5" travel Santa Cruz Heckler (hydraulic discs). I now gladly put up with the extra weight of the full suspension bike to get the braking ability of the discs. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get discs. Mechanical Avid or Hayes would be fine, but You won't want to ride without them once you have them.
I have regular brakes right now and I can't say I have ever felt the need for anything better since I stopped riding like a maniac. Is this something that I just don't know what I am missing?
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:58 AM   #251
Bender
I can pass this guy.
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Cypress, Texas.
Oddometer: 31,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by koncha
I have regular brakes right now and I can't say I have ever felt the need for anything better since I stopped riding like a maniac. Is this something that I just don't know what I am missing?
The disks just plain work. Wet or dry.
__________________
Bender™
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:18 PM   #252
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender
The disks just plain work. Wet or dry.
that pretty well sez it.

Clean or dirty
Wet or dry

Allatime same braking.

As an added bonus, your rims will never wear out!

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:23 PM   #253
MineMapper
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: TS16, UK
Oddometer: 570
Its like right now you're perfectly happy without bacon.

Then you taste bacon, and things are never the same.
MineMapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:25 PM   #254
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr
How does it perform on 10% grades? Both up and down!
Actually, its surprising what you can get up and down on a FG BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO CHOICE!

I've BTDT... used to commute on a FG bike. ~60min ea way. Up and down some decent sized hills! (Alexandria/King's Park to Ffx Circle if yer wondering.)

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:31 PM   #255
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra
 
Uncle Pollo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Albuquerque, Neue Messico
Oddometer: 47,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr
How does it perform on 10% grades? Both up and down!
I hit the neighbourhood of 170 rpm on a good day going down the hill.

Going up hill is like 5 mph and around 20 rpm.

I have brakes.

Ideally I try to stay clear from LONG 10% hills, but I climb pretty between up to 7 % @ at 10-12 mph. Going on rolling hills is the most fun since it forces you to pedal all the time and not to loose any momentum.

It is enough for me ... but most road riders think i am stoopitd.

I can go 35 miles hanging with the b+ groups pretty well in rolling terrain without throwing a lung or a heart valve, and I used to commute 12 miles each way.

It is not as efficient as a geared bike, but it beats the crap out of my hybrid (collecting dust right now) on SE PENNA rolling hills.

.... yes ... I have freaking huge calves because the no gearing.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014