Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 321 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #25516
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
That, in essence, is what the sales manager at a Trek dealership told me this weekend when I asked what the practical difference is between their top of the line Madone P1 and the lower end version Madone, which costs around $5000 less. He said that a pro racer or even a top level amateur could tell the difference between a modestly priced road bike and one equipped with all the cutting edge technology, and also be able to capitalize on those differences. But as for the remaining 95% of riders like me who only ride on weekends and don't race, he said buying a high dollar model would just be a case of throwing money away. Thoughts?

Yes and no. The more expensive bike is going to ride nicer and the parts are going to last longer, but no, you (or I, or Ridge, or...) don't NEED that kind of bike. The ones that need it get em given to em.

I train on a 12 year old AL frame with a carbon rear end. Its not as light as the bikes that some of the guys I ride with are. It has Rival on it not Red. It has 32 spoke wheels on it not carbon clinchers.

So what?! I typically end up handing most of those guys their asses just like I have mine handed to me by other guys.

You wanna win the 'fanciest bike at Starbucks' prize? Go for it.

Having said that, if the fancy stuff makes you WANT to go riding, then its worth every penny. If it sits there in the garage and turns into a clothes hanger, you wasted your $ no matter what you spent.

M
Old 10-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #25517
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Yes and no. The more expensive bike is going to ride nicer and the parts are going to last longer, but no, you (or I, or Ridge, or...) don't NEED that kind of bike. The ones that need it get em given to em.

I train on a 12 year old AL frame with a carbon rear end. Its not as light as the bikes that some of the guys I ride with are. It has Rival on it not Red. It has 32 spoke wheels on it not carbon clinchers.

So what?! I typically end up handing most of those guys their asses just like I have mine handed to me by other guys.
That's pretty much what I figured.

Quote:

Having said that, if the fancy stuff makes you WANT to go riding, then its worth every penny. If it sits there in the garage and turns into a clothes hanger, you wasted your $ no matter what you spent.

M
Both my road bike and mountain bikes are top of the line in their respective classes. I bought them only because I got them at a 'last years model' price, but I felt very self conscious the first few times I rode them. I kept imagining that other riders must be looking at me and thinking to themselves, "WTF is some novice rider like him doing on a bike like THAT?"

Not being thought of as some poser was part of the reason I pushed so hard to get better. I couldn't stand the thought of being passed by people on shitty bikes.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #25518
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Really? I thought it was not legal up by Big Sur down near San Simeon. Maybe it was walking.

I may have found my next adventure!
Here's the map set for it. www.adventurecycling.org/routes/pacificcoast.cfm

It's a tour I'd love to do.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #25519
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
So the rim is cracked. Bike is about 2 years old and I have Mavics on my other bike that have been fine so not sure what happened here. Is this a warranty job do you think ? No idea how long rims are warrantied if at all
Have the dealer contact Mavic, direct. They should take care of it.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #25520
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Mavic Ksyrium Elite

Def aluminum nipple, tension was good (AFAIK - I do check them periodically as I'm on the larger side, so last time was prob a month ago )

I was out riding this weekend so I have only just got round to looking at this.

This is what I found :

So the rim is cracked. Bike is about 2 years old and I have Mavics on my other bike that have been fine so not sure what happened here. Is this a warranty job do you think ? No idea how long rims are warrantied if at all

Those wheels may have a two year warrenty, mine did, I had the next one up in line, they did the same thing it took about three years to happen. Go to your LBS they may be able to help with warrenty info.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #25521
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Have the dealer contact Mavic, direct. They should take care of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Those wheels may have a two year warrenty, mine did, I had the next one up in line, they did the same thing it took about three years to happen. Go to your LBS they may be able to help with warrenty info.
Thanks

I bought the bike from BikesDirect so I'll try them first...not that I am holding my breath at all

LBS is a pretty good shop so I might see what they say - if nothing else they might have some good contact info.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #25522
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,678
Quote:

M
He speaks the truth...

I race a Cannondale CAAD9. It is deceptively light, fast, responsive and regularly still receives compliments and praise from other racers with full hi-mod carbon rides that cost thousands more. In the end, the bike is only as good as the rider piloting it. Anyone with money can walk into a bike shop and plunk down egregious amounts for the latest technology in cycling. Despite that fact and their pompous belief... the purchase of aforementioned bicycle does NOT make them a better rider or carry weight with any genuine riders.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #25523
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
He speaks the truth...

I race a Cannondale CAAD9. It is deceptively light, fast, responsive and regularly still receives compliments and praise from other racers with full hi-mod carbon rides that cost thousands more. In the end, the bike is only as good as the rider piloting it. Anyone with money can walk into a bike shop and plunk down egregious amounts for the latest technology in cycling. Despite that fact and their pompous belief... the purchase of aforementioned bicycle does NOT make them a better rider or carry weight with any genuine riders.
I have a tendency to dismiss many people on the truly high $ rides. They usually have less time to ride than the guys on the less expensive bikes that you can tell get ridden.

While its true you can buy speed (helmets, wheels, frames in that order) the bike doesn't pedal itself.

M
Old 10-09-2012, 05:57 AM   #25524
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I have a tendency to dismiss many people on the truly high $ rides.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:04 AM   #25525
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
I've never once said I was a nice guy.

Unless that Venge with Red* on it was given to you, you've got more money than time to ride.

M

Insert: Pinarello, Kuota, et al here.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #25526
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
He speaks the truth...

The local, TT-course record-holder rides an older, somewhat aero, aluminum framed TT bike. It's got an old set of Zipp tubulars (his disc is way before the Sub-9 and aero profiles) on it. Aluminum basebar and aerobars. It's probably the most un-aero TT bike out there. Yet, even TJ Tollakson couldn't beat his speed, using the latest, in TT tech. It truly is the rider that makes the difference.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #25527
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
The local, TT-course record-holder rides an older, somewhat aero, aluminum framed TT bike. It's got an old set of Zipp tubulars (his disc is way before the Sub-9 and aero profiles) on it. Aluminum basebar and aerobars. It's probably the most un-aero TT bike out there. Yet, even TJ Tollakson couldn't beat his speed, using the latest, in TT tech. It truly is the rider that makes the difference.
I'd like to see what this TT-course record holder can do using the latest TT tech. Then we'd have an apples to apples comparison.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #25528
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'd like to see what this TT-course record holder can do using the latest TT tech. Then we'd have an apples to apples comparison.
The LBS loaned him a Giant Trinity with a Sub-9 and 1080. But, the wind was simply brutal, that night. He still got within 2mph of his record.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #25529
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Ernge content: KTM bicycles

M
Old 10-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #25530
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Ernge content: KTM bicycles

M
Does this mean Katoom is finally bringing their pushbikes Stateside? I was just talking about this with one of the guys I ride with. He has a KTM moto and wears one of their cycling jerseys quite often.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: