Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #25531
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Does this mean Katoom is finally bringing their pushbikes Stateside? I was just talking about this with one of the guys I ride with. He has a KTM moto and wears one of their cycling jerseys quite often.
I hope so, but somehow doubt it.

M
Old 10-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #25532
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,259
It seems with every sport you get those who want to look the part, and those who are the part.

I've spent a lot of time snowboarding; I usually average 40 days or so a year. It's easy to spot the people who buy new stuff every year to ride 3 days. My take is a lot less cynical than some of the 'locals' up there though; I figure they're spending big bucks supporting the industry which in turn can sponsor bigger riders and push the sport, meaning more people will ride. If you want to go spend $1500 every year on new shit because you can, good on ya.... at least it's not a TV. Same for bikes, motorycles, hang gliders, whatever.

Back to bikes; I'm currently riding my $800 Rockhopper after I blew out my rear hub on my Giant Reign for a second time this year.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #25533
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
It seems with every sport you get those who want to look the part, and those who are the part.

I've spent a lot of time snowboarding; I usually average 40 days or so a year. It's easy to spot the people who buy new stuff every year to ride 3 days. My take is a lot less cynical than some of the 'locals' up there though; I figure they're spending big bucks supporting the industry which in turn can sponsor bigger riders and push the sport, meaning more people will ride. If you want to go spend $1500 every year on new shit because you can, good on ya.... at least it's not a TV. Same for bikes, motorycles, hang gliders, whatever.

Back to bikes; I'm currently riding my $800 Rockhopper after I blew out my rear hub on my Giant Reign for a second time this year.
Having said I dismiss the people on the fancy stuff doesn't mean I don't want em to buy it. After all, I'm a cheap/broke SOB and they're going to go chasing after the newest and bestest and I can buy their 'leftovers' for half or less of new.

It took YEARS for me to upgrade to 10sp for this reason. (and years to upgrade from 7 to 8 and then again from 8 to 9...)

M
Old 10-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #25534
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

I don't see me in this, but this is Sunday's race:

M
Old 10-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #25535
Brek81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
and people look at me crazy for jumping curbs, running single track, and going down 3 steps on a cross bike

Brek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #25536
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brek81 View Post
and people look at me crazy for jumping curbs, running single track, and going down 3 steps on a cross bike

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #25537
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
so I've got a flatbar road bike (hybrid) that has 3x8 trigger shifting, and I'm thinking of converting it to a 2x9 or 2x10... i've been doing Shimano stuff for awhile, but I'm thinking maybe I should give Sram a try... I see on their website a Via GT and Via Centro gruppo of nearly exactly what I want, targetting city and trekking bikes, but I don't see those available online anywheres.
http://www.sram.com/sram/urban/products/via-gt

Whats the budget Sram road group I should use? A mix of Apex and S-series? I'm gonna need cranks (50-34 or 48-32 or so), shifters, cassette and derailleurs for this... and probably new wheels too (I assume I can't put a 9 or 10 speed cassette on a 8 speed freehub, eh? anyways, I eventually want to get nicer rims). The mountain groups all seem to have tiny front sprockets...
Old 10-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #25538
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
so I've got a flatbar road bike (hybrid) that has 3x8 trigger shifting, and I'm thinking of converting it to a 2x9 or 2x10... i've been doing Shimano stuff for awhile, but I'm thinking maybe I should give Sram a try... I see on their website a Via GT and Via Centro gruppo of nearly exactly what I want, targetting city and trekking bikes, but I don't see those available online anywheres.
http://www.sram.com/sram/urban/products/via-gt

Whats the budget Sram road group I should use? A mix of Apex and S-series? I'm gonna need cranks (50-34 or 48-32 or so), shifters, cassette and derailleurs for this... and probably new wheels too (I assume I can't put a 9 or 10 speed cassette on a 8 speed freehub, eh? anyways, I eventually want to get nicer rims). The mountain groups all seem to have tiny front sprockets...
Those Via groupsets are new, to me. I've been looking at putting a 2X10 MTB (42/28) crankset on my 'cross. The Via crankset might be the way to go. Hmmm.

Give these guys a call, about the Via groupsets. They can quickly pull it up and give you a price.

I think S-series/Apex mix will be about the most budget-friendly way to go.

We currently run Apex (48/34 with 12-32, for me, and 46/38 with 12-36, for her) on both our bikes. It's solid, reliable stuff. We really like it. Both our MTBs are SRAM, too.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #25539
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,138
Quote:

Nice find!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #25540
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,401
Quote:

Damn... beat me to it! I just watched this from a friend's link and was just astounded! What makes it even more epic is that the bike he is riding is from the TdF winner Bradley Wiggins.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #25541
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,453
Took some gopro when I was in Whistler, the angles didn't work out so well but what the hell?

Whistler riding from Dave Weir on Vimeo.

Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #25542
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,770
Ouch
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #25543
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Those Via groupsets are new, to me. I've been looking at putting a 2X10 MTB (42/28) crankset on my 'cross. The Via crankset might be the way to go. Hmmm.

Give these guys a call, about the Via groupsets. They can quickly pull it up and give you a price.

I think S-series/Apex mix will be about the most budget-friendly way to go.

We currently run Apex (48/34 with 12-32, for me, and 46/38 with 12-36, for her) on both our bikes. It's solid, reliable stuff. We really like it. Both our MTBs are SRAM, too.
hmm, I don't see the Via stuff in QBP's 2012 catalog at all.
http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...#/a8e5bd2a/374
http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...#/a8e5bd2a/400
etc etc.

so, yeah, must be TOO new. ah well, I'm probably a year out from doing this upgrade.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #25544
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Reminds me of the time I got SIX speeding tickets on the ride from Cardiff to London. I didn't pay a single one of them, but I wonder how much the total would have come to.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #25545
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Are Shimano freehubs and SRAM cassettes fully interchangable, even in 10sp ?

do 10 speed cassettes fit on a 8 speed freehub ?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: