Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 499 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #25546
Chillis
Land Barge Pilot

Oddometer: 4,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
pierce thanks so much, your unsproinged comment made me take a second look at the spring location. The spring arm jumped past the loop and was on the front side of the loop thus released the spring tension allowing the loop to collapse. Removed the Eggbeater and compressed the spring allowing the spring arm to clear the loop and hooked the spring arm on the backside of the loop and all is as it should be....
This is why I chose Speedplay. No gizmos or springs.
Chillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:33 AM   #25547
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,114
one minor thing thats annoying me on my hybrid is the 3x8 gearing... front has a 48-38-28, and the rear is a 11,12,14,16,18,21,26,32

when I'm on the 38 or the 48, the middle gear steps are just too big so I found myself doing a lot of cross-shifting today, especially around the 26-21-18 in back.. pain in butt. and I'm sure not pushing an 11 with the big ring any time soon.

I just ordered a HG50 road 8-speed cassette to tide me over til I can do the 2x9 or 2x10 conversion. 13-14-15-17-19-21-23-26T .... that otta work out much better with the 48-38-28 front. a gear below 1:1 is just silly anyways on a city-bike like this..

eventually, this bike will get a compact 50-34 front, and a 9 or 10 speed rear, and I'll probably get a 12-28 or something. with that setup, I'd plan on staying in the 50 most of the time, and just using the 34 for big climbs.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:58 AM   #25548
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
one minor thing thats annoying me on my hybrid is the 3x8 gearing... front has a 48-38-28, and the rear is a 11,12,14,16,18,21,26,32

when I'm on the 38 or the 48, the middle gear steps are just too big so I found myself doing a lot of cross-shifting today, especially around the 26-21-18 in back.. pain in butt. and I'm sure not pushing an 11 with the big ring any time soon.

I just ordered a HG50 road 8-speed cassette to tide me over til I can do the 2x9 or 2x10 conversion. 13-14-15-17-19-21-23-26T .... that otta work out much better with the 48-38-28 front. a gear below 1:1 is just silly anyways on a city-bike like this..

eventually, this bike will get a compact 50-34 front, and a 9 or 10 speed rear, and I'll probably get a 12-28 or something. with that setup, I'd plan on staying in the 50 most of the time, and just using the 34 for big climbs.
You're better off leaving this bike the way it is and getting something nicer when you're ready for that compact double.

What you've got is great for what it is, but it won't be as good as you think once upgraded.

M
Old 10-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #25549
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
This is why I chose Speedplay. No gizmos or springs.
Not true.

Speedplay have the spring/clip in the cleat. That cleat needs to be disassembled, cleaned, and lubed, on a regular basis. We have them on 3 bikes. I have CB Eggbeater 3 and Candy 3 on two bikes. For day-to-day use, I'll take the Candy 3 pedals, everytime. I can wear a casual/MTB shoe that allows me to walk around like a normal person and they're more comfortable.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #25550
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
You're better off leaving this bike the way it is and getting something nicer when you're ready for that compact double.
So long as you're buying, I'll take a Limited, please.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #25551
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Not true.

Speedplay have the spring/clip in the cleat. That cleat needs to be disassembled, cleaned, and lubed, on a regular basis. We have them on 3 bikes. I have CB Eggbeater 3 and Candy 3 on two bikes. For day-to-day use, I'll take the Candy 3 pedals, everytime. I can wear a casual/MTB shoe that allows me to walk around like a normal person and they're more comfortable.
All those reasons are why my Speedplay pedals now reside in a cardboard box, having been replaced by a set of Eggbeater Candy's.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #25552
Chillis
Land Barge Pilot

Oddometer: 4,157
Quote:
Not true.

You should have a look at their frog model. All bases covered.
Chillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #25553
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

What you've got is great for what it is, but it won't be as good as you think once upgraded.

M
my Globe is essentially a 2010 Sirrus base model, in different paint, but iwth a cromo fork instead of an aluminum one. It came with riser bars that I've already swapped out for a flat bar, along with a longer stem to get the bars where I want them

I had slapped a cheap FSA compact double on my last homebrew hybrid, and used chainring spacers so I could run a 7-8 speed chain, and really liked how it came out. I used a BB that put the chainlune such that the 50 could use all the rear gears but the 34 could only use the low 3-4. But that bike used friction shifters (old suntour thumb shifters), this one has trigger shifters so I know Ill need to swap shifters to switch to a 2x9/10 (or go back to friction, but trigger is starting to spoil me). It wasn't nearly as nice a frame as this one, but it came out pretty darn nice, I was planning on stripping it down and having the local powder coat shop do a sandblast-n-shoot on it of strawberry red.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #25554
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
You should have a look at their frog model. All bases covered.
My mistake, as I forgot about the Frogs.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #25555
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,184
Gummee, I dug through the CF bike frame links that you provided, but didn't find what I was looking for and was wondering if you had any advice.

I want to upgrade my wife's frame (most of her components are upgraded from stock 105 to my old bike's Ultegra group and some DA brakes that magically appeared a while back. ).

She's currently on a 5 year-old Al Scattante frame, but I'd like to surprise her with some new CF hotness. I'm looking for a relaxed geometry like the Specialized Ruby or Giant Avail, but I don't want to buy a complete bike. YakSprout put a hole in our disposable income so I'm on a tight budget.

Any leads on female-oriented geometry frames? She's on a 56 standard frame that we've made fit, but she should probably be on a 54/55.

Thanks!
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #25556
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,814
Been a member here for many years.Just found this thread and subscribed. I'll be 59 Nov. 1st. We moved to the Big Island of Hawaii last year and had bought a house here. The seller was moving back to the mainland so didn't want to ship all their stuff back. They threw everything into the deal. Furniture, dishes,riding lawn mower (one acre of property), and an inexpensive mountain bike.I have been working out in a gym since I was 49, so I'm in decent shape. Had a right knee injury that is better now, and have a left ankle problem that one doctor said is tendonitus.I recently started riding this 21 speed mountain bike. First rides were to my daughter's place to feed the animals and check on things. That was about 11 miles round. Next I rode to the Keaau Post Office to get our mail from the PO box. 13 miles. Then to Pahoa for my Saturday chess club. About 17 miles with a persistant headwind on the trip to Pahoa. I am working up to a run to Hilo which will be 25 miles round plus whatever running around I do in Hilo.
I am enjoying riding very much again and find myself coming up with any excuse for a ride. Lets see......burning no gas (which is more here than most mainland areas), helps me to stay in shape, FUN AS HELL...., our main highways here have generous shoulders to ride on that we share with the smaller mopeds and scooters.
The bike is a Wally World special. It's a "Next" Plush mountainbike with for and aft suspension. Made in 2005 and looks like brand new. Brakes and shifters workwell. Seat is a torture rack. Someone seems to have done a decent setup and adjust on this bike. I won't even consider getting a better bike till I show myself that I will stay with this. Picked up a water bottle mount for the handlebars (no frame mount), a compact tire pump, tire levers and a patch kit, two spare tubes, a multi tool with chain tool, and I think I'll order a set of Kenda K838 tires http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER and a helmet.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #25557
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Any leads on female-oriented geometry frames? She's on a 56 standard frame that we've made fit, but she should probably be on a 54/55.
I put "ruby" into search tempest.

Only one avail popped up.

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in "women-specific", if you're only buying a frameset. Some brands claim a lighter layup, in the carbon, for women. But, mostly, they're just adding narrower bars, tighter reach levers, and/or women's seat. Sometimes, the geometries favor a little lower standover, but, the biggest concern is in the TT length. However, a woman who can ride a 54/55cm can straddle about anything reasonable, so I'd just be on the lookout for the TT dimension.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #25558
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,184
Quote:
I put "ruby" into search tempest.

Only one avail popped up.

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in "women-specific", if you're only buying a frameset. Some brands claim a lighter layup, in the carbon, for women. But, mostly, they're just adding narrower bars, tighter reach levers, and/or women's seat. Sometimes, the geometries favor a little lower standover, but, the biggest concern is in the TT length. However, a woman who can ride a 54/55cm can straddle about anything reasonable, so I'd just be on the lookout for the TT dimension.
Thanks duc. I'll have a look around.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #25559
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
I'm comparing the Ruby Elite Apex Compact with the Roubiax Elite Apex Compact as they seem to be equivalent bikes.

naturally, the Ruby uses different size numbers (WTF?) but the "540.0" seems equivalent to the men's 54. There are distinct differences in the geometry.

these are... What - Roubaix / Ruby.... comparing that 54 to the 540.0.
  • Seattube - 495 / 456.5
  • Top Tube - 548 / 539
  • BB Drop - 71.5 / 73
  • Standover - 776 / 668

I ignored anything that's within a gnats ass of the same (73.5 vs 74 degree seat tube angle? hah!). I also ignored stuff like crank lengths (men's bike has longer cranks)

so yeah, I'd say that frame geometry has been tweaked. that or you just can't compare the sizes :-/
Old 10-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #25560
brewer90
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Gummee, I dug through the CF bike frame links that you provided, but didn't find what I was looking for and was wondering if you had any advice.

I want to upgrade my wife's frame (most of her components are upgraded from stock 105 to my old bike's Ultegra group and some DA brakes that magically appeared a while back. ).

She's currently on a 5 year-old Al Scattante frame, but I'd like to surprise her with some new CF hotness. I'm looking for a relaxed geometry like the Specialized Ruby or Giant Avail, but I don't want to buy a complete bike. YakSprout put a hole in our disposable income so I'm on a tight budget.

Thanks!
Check out Pedalforce. They are carbon frames that are made in Taiwan. I have the CG2 frame which is a more relaxed geometry. I built it up with Campy Record and love the bike. There is is a group buy going on now and you can get the frame for $590. http://pedalforce.com/online/product...ducts_id=22633

It looks like the deadline passed but I got into my group buy a few days late with no issue.
brewer90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: