Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 315 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #25561
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
or for an overweight guy riding empty on that blue hybrid in my last post, eh? :)

so $200 for that pair is a pretty good deal, from what all I can see?

http://www.amazon.com/Handspun-Pavem.../dp/B007S4QXZ2
http://www.amazon.com/Handspun-Pavem.../dp/B007S4QXGQ

my frame has a 135mm BDC so that eliminates most road wheels. I just wish those came in black (the A319s' do but it doesn't look like handspun has them)

they have a whole line of these 'pavement' wheels aimed at touring/trekking/commuter bikes.

http://handspunwheels.com/products/#pavement
Yeah, they should be great.
The LX/XT hubs are really quite good. Not very fancy but with very little care they will last many thousands miles.

Thanks for the Pavement info, I am looking for another set of wheels for my road bike (650B) and they have a good selection.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #25562
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
"Gummee!" is correct, on the spacer. If the back of the cassette "spider" is flat, you'll need it. Otherwise, the "spider" will have a raised lip around the center hole, which eliminates the need for a spacer. If in doubt, your LBS can make a quick assessment.
Just as a note: I answer to Gummee! in meatspace too. No quotes needed.

Hey Pierce: if you hold out a bit, you may be able to finagle a SRAM 11sp cassette from the 1x11 setup on there.

M
Old 10-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #25563
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Yeah, they should be great.
The LX/XT hubs are really quite good. Not very fancy but with very little care they will last many thousands miles.

Thanks for the Pavement info, I am looking for another set of wheels for my road bike (650B) and they have a good selection.
The 'handspun' series of wheels from QBP are some well-built wheels for the $$. All the people building those things do for a living is build wheels.
Beats my couple pairs/year.

I've seen pricing on em. You can get the handspun stuff pre-built for less than you can get the bits and DIY. ...and that's wholesale!

M
Old 10-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #25564
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
The 'handspun' series of wheels from QBP are some well-built wheels for the $$. All the people building those things do for a living is build wheels.

I've seen pricing on em. You can get the handspun stuff pre-built for less than you can get the bits and DIY. ...and that's wholesale!
I agree.

Just the cost of DT SS spokes is alarming, compared to what a complete wheelset costs.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #25565
CatfishRacing
Just a rider.

Oddometer: 570
Simply AMAZING!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmJtYaUTa0
IBA #12835
AMA Lifer
CatfishRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #25566
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,480
Had a long ride today. The goal was to finally get the century under my belt. Unfortunately the actual mileage number does not indicate 100 miles. Ended up with 86. But...the whole way back, half of the mileage, was done into a 20+ mph headwind which not only was ridiculously tough to push through, it was also deafening. I hated life the whole way back.

Near the Air Force base in Indian Springs, NV.

Pretty sure the calorie count is not taking into account that wicked head wind. At one point I was ready to stop and start shouting at mother nature.

As seen above, that is my new top speed...only limited by the short gearing of my bike. I know I can eek out 50+ if I had the gearing to keep torquing.

Also set my fastest ever mile under human power: 1m 37s. Had a bunch of sub 2 minute miles with that awesome tailwind on the ride out. Matter of fact, I averaged of 20mph for the first 44 miles.

So glad the day is over.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #25567
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Can anyone recommend a good dual chainring crank with wide ratio option for my bike?

Want to go Tiagra or 105 shifter and have my low gears and higher than what I have now.

I often times run out of gearing on top where I just can't spin the pedals any faster.

I am keeping the drop bars. The multi positions are a life saver on long rides.

Edit: One other thing, do they make add on guards so I can wear pants and ride without greasing the right pant leg or my leg for that matter?

Like on Pierce's hybrid but for a compact crank.

brianwheelies screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 10:14 PM
Old 10-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #25568
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Can anyone recommend a good dual chainring crank with wide ratio option for my bike?

Want to go Tiagra or 105 shifter and have my low gears and higher than what I have now.

I often times run out of gearing on top where I just can't spin the pedals any faster.

I am keeping the drop bars. The multi positions are a life saver on long rides.
what crankset do you have now? whats the BCD (bolt center distance) ? if its like a standard 52-42 or whatever, you can get a 53 or 54 big ring for it. not much bigger or your derailleurs will run out of room.

the modern setup is to have an 11 tooth rear high gear (with 9-10 gears in back) and a "compact" 50-34 front. 50:11 is taller than 52:12 (4.545:1 vs 4.33:1) or 52:13 (4:1). 54:13 is 4.15:1 and 54:12 is 4.5:1

re: chain guards, the old school solution was a strap or clip to secure your pants leg cuffs. 'pant clips'...
the reflective velcro straps are, imho, better than the metal spring clips.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #25569
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

My crankset is Sugino Triple, 48, 38, 28 with a 9 speed cassette.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #25570
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
My crankset is Sugino Triple, 48, 38, 28 with a 9 speed cassette.
ah, thats more of a old style mountain setup. ok, then yeah, a new crankset. standard old school road double is 52-42, if you did this, you'd have no low gears. the compact double style would get you a 50 high gear and a 34 low, which is probably good enough. you might even be able to use your existing front derraileur, but you'll probably need a different shifter. I had a setup like that on my last street hybrid, but I used a friction shifter.

here's the seutp I was drooling on last night...

QBPDescPrice
CK4444Apex 170mm Black/Black 34-50 Crankset with Bottom Bracket$160.95
FD4681Apex 31.8mm Clamp Front Derailleur$63.95
RD5916Apex WiFli Rear Derailleur 10 speed Medium Cage Black$79.95
LD4671X.7 2 x 10 Trigger Shifter Set Gray$71.95
BR6754Avid FR-5 Single lever Right/Left Black/Black (qty 2)$19.90
FW6240SRAM PG-1050 10 speed 12-32 Cassette 12,13,14,15,17,19,22,25,28,32$79.95

those prices are basically list, I found at least $200 in savings online without too much trouble. the first column is the QBP part number.

oh, thats got trigger shifters and brake levers for flatbars, so you'd need a 2x10 brifter setup for your drop bars instead. sram apex makes a nice one. oh yeah, I forgot to add a sram 10 speed chain (you need a thinner chain to run this setup).

edit: wait, which Sugino crankset is it? are the chainrings seperate alloy rings, bolted to the crank spider, or are they all riveted together? If its the former, you need to figure out what the BCD is. see http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#bcd and measure carefully, you can probably get a 50 or 52 on there easily enough if its a 130 5-bolt, and your current derailleur can probably handle it with a bit of tweaking.

pierce screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 11:32 PM
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:38 PM   #25571
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

It has the bolt on chain rings.

I want a lighter more rigid setup though. When I peddle the arms visibly flex.

Also would be nice just to have 2 front chain rings as a more simple setup. I avoid cross chaining anyway so in actuality I already have similar total usable gears.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:47 PM   #25572
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:

Also would be nice just to have 2 front chain rings as a more simple setup. I avoid cross chaining anyway so in actuality I already have similar total usable gears.
so you don't use that 28T small ring ? typical triple setup, you use the small ring with the 5-6 bigger rear sprockets, the middle ring with all of the rear, and the large front with the 5-6 smaller rear sprockets. with that sram 2x10 setup you can use pretty much all of the 10 rear gears with either the big 50 or small 34 front, although I'd still avoid the extreme crosses they say its usable.

if you are flexing sugino road arms, you're pedalling too hard, I've had Sugino triples and they were very stiff and rigid. more likely, you're flexing the frame, or maybe the bottom bracket (the axle between the cranks).
Old 10-11-2012, 06:33 AM   #25573
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:

PEDAL

Its PEDAL dammit! Peddle is something you do on ebay.

M
Old 10-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #25574
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Had a long ride today. The goal was to finally get the century under my belt. Unfortunately the actual mileage number does not indicate 100 miles. Ended up with 86. But...the whole way back, half of the mileage, was done into a 20+ mph headwind which not only was ridiculously tough to push through, it was also deafening.
I always wear earplugs. Yes. You can still hear approaching cars.

Good job, on the mileage!

Quote:
As seen above, that is my new top speed...only limited by the short gearing of my bike. I know I can eek out 50+ if I had the gearing to keep torquing.

Also set my fastest ever mile under human power: 1m 37s. Had a bunch of sub 2 minute miles with that awesome tailwind on the ride out. Matter of fact, I averaged of 20mph for the first 44 miles.
Pace yourself, on the way out. That way you have something left in the tank, for the way back in.

Also, when going for mileage, it's a good idea to ride a circular route around where you live. That way if you get fatigued or just aren't feeling it, you can easily get back home. Otherwise, you end up as much as 50 miles away and nobody wants to drive that far to pick you up. I usually try to stay within 25 miles of home.

Quote:

I am keeping the drop bars. The multi positions are a life saver on long rides..
Take advantage of the tailwind and loaf along. Yes. You turn a faster time by cranking it out, but, that does nothing for keeping something in the tank for the longhaul or headwind. I have the same high gear as you and have never tried to spin it out.

As for what you're wanting, SRAM and Shimano, both, offer options. You're basically looking at a compact crankset (50/34) with a wide-ratio cassette (11- or 12-32 or -36). You'll need to run at least a mid-cage rear derailluer (long-cage will work, too). Some lever sets will operate a double- or triple-crank front derailluer (not sure on yours). Both brands are designed to be cross-chained.

Quote:
One other thing, do they make add on guards so I can wear pants and ride without greasing the right pant leg or my leg for that matter?

Like on Pierce's hybrid but for a compact crank.
Your better cranksets don't have chainguards with them. However, they are available. You may have to investigate the recumbent genre to find one, though.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #25575
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Ducnut, that Sram Apex might be the ticket!

As far as pacing myself, I pretty much go for a higher limit naturally and have a difficult time slowing down. I do take frequent stops now that some of you folks say to drink every ten minutes or so.

With regards to going in the circular pattern, I am bored of riding in Las Vegas and have taken the show on the road. Wasn't cut off by a single car on the highway!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: