User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #25576
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
drinking every 10 minutes means sipping from your water bottle without stopping or hardly slowing down. the only stops would be to refill the bottle every hour or so.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #25577
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
drinking every 10 minutes means sipping from your water bottle without stopping or hardly slowing down. the only stops would be to refill the bottle every hour or so.

Hydration pack? Which brings me to a question...how come I never see roadies using hydration packs? It's either water bottles in the jersey or on the frame. Aerodynamics or sommat?

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #25578
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
Hydration pack? Which brings me to a question...how come I never see roadies using hydration packs? It's either water bottles in the jersey or on the frame. Aerodynamics or sommat?
weight on your back sucks when riding LD. blocks ventilation, etc.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #25579
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
I'll wear a Camelbak only when I'm on the cross bike out in the middle of nowhere, or on the MTB where I may be out for hours without easy access to civilization. Otherwise, I stick with bottles in cages due to their ease of use, lightweight, simple and I've usually calculated my calories per bottle based on what type of workout I'm doing. No excessive weight to carry on my back that inhibits sweating or heat buildup. I don't need all the extra storage of a pack on the road bike and it's just an understood breach of roadie etiquette to wear a Camelbak in a rotating paceline...
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #25580
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,965
I have not invested in bottle cages or camel backs as of yet. I don't have a problem with the continuous pedaling. I just dislike the plastic water bottles. Maybe they have them in stainless and ultra thin/light?
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #25581
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,245
That makes enough sense. I still use an older style Camelbak which does keep my back nice & warm. I run out of my 100 oz bladder in just over 2 hours on a warmer day...gonna consider adding cages next Summer as I ran out a few times this year. I'd never get anywhere using just bottles

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #25582
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
I have not invested in bottle cages or camel backs as of yet. I don't have a problem with the continuous pedaling. I just dislike the plastic water bottles. Maybe they have them in stainless and ultra thin/light?
I put an inexpensive stainless cage on my wife's comfort bike like this...

that nicely holds one of these thermos bottles...

those bottles have a pushbutton popup drinking spout that has a straw inside so you don't have to tip them up. downside, they are only 600ml or smoething, so you go through them pretty quickly. upside, they keep water cold for /hours/ and they are totally leakproof when being transported.

FWIW, the newer bicycle thin HDPE bottles don't have the nasty plastic stench of the old ones.

I tried using one of these,

but, when I dropped it when it was half full of water, it cracked :-/

these are nice, might be my next buy. I had one before but it got lost.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #25583
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,030
Quote:
Titanium is the way to go. Or carbon fiber.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #25584
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,928
Speaking of bottle cages. Many of the modern plastic/carbon cages are unrealistically stiff, making bottle removal almost impossible. My advice is to actually slide bottles in/out of the cages in the store before buying one of these modern, ripoff priced, impractical, super stiff cages. I like the cheap old school metal ones because they flex just enough to work as intended.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #25585
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Speaking of bottle cages. Many of the modern plastic/carbon cages are unrealistically stiff, making bottle removal almost impossible. My advice is to actually slide bottles in/out of the cages in the store before buying one of these modern, ripoff priced, impractical, super stiff cages. I like the cheap old school metal ones because they flex just enough to work as intended.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #25586
Brek81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
+1 on the Podium water bottles, they don't 'flavor' the water.

i've been happy with these water bottle cages, they do color the bottles a bit though

never lost a bottle, and its easy to get them in and out

Brek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #25587
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,401
My favorite cages are the Arundel Mandible. They also make a side loading bottle cage and a sweet stainless cage. Come to think of it, I like all their products. Very well thought out and very useful.

http://www.arundelbike.com/mandible.html
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #25588
pierce
Aven'Tourer

these cages aren't bad for standard water bottles but they don't hold other things like those stainless GoContigo bottles.

(Specialized Zee Cage)

kinda wish I'd known they had a left handed version.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #25589
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,137
Quote:
Ducnut, that Sram Apex might be the ticket!
My GF and I have been running Apex, for the last 2yrs. We really like it.

Quote:
As far as pacing myself, I pretty much go for a higher limit naturally and have a difficult time slowing down. I do take frequent stops now that some of you folks say to drink every ten minutes or so.
I used to be that way. Before, I was dead at 80mi. Now, I can do that mileage, every other day.

Quote:
With regards to going in the circular pattern, I am bored of riding in Las Vegas and have taken the show on the road. Wasn't cut off by a single car on the highway!
Didn't realize that's where you live. Two miles outside of my town and I'm in the country.

Quote:
They do make stainless, cycling bottles. Be sure to get ones with the sports valve, as the screw lids are a PITA.

As for cages, get basic metal ones. That way you can bend them to whatever size bottle you have (mine will take a 32oz convenience store, water bottle). They usually come in 5mm or 6mm. Get the 6mm. The 5mm will loosen up, on rough roads.

Also, I run a Profile Design Aerodrink bottle on my aerobars. There are, also, bottle mounts that attach to the rear of your seat and will handle two bottles. You can, also, get a frame bag from Revelate Design and throw a Camelbak bladder in that and run the hose out the top.
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #25590
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I always wear earplugs. Yes. You can still hear approaching cars.
I keep meaning to start doing the same -- to carry them along and put them in before descents. The windblast can get pretty loud, and my hearing is bad enough already.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: