Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 236 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #25606
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
A local mountain biker I know finally bought his first roadbike, a Trek Madone 5.9. This guy works out with weights and has massive leg muscles coupled with tremendous endurance, and a body fat percentage of 7%. I assumed that because of all this, he'd be winning all the KOM's in the area, but so far his best placings have been 4th and 8th place on the leader board - losing out to riders who don't look to be in better shape than the average person. These KOM's consist of sprints or hill climbs, which don't require skill, just strength and endurance - which he has in spades. So why wouldn't someone who has his degree of physical development and a fast bike like the Madone 5.9 be able to easily outrun everyone else in these kinds of 'races'?

There have been some famous cyclists in the past who switched from cycling to running - one of them came off the saddle, and with no training, entered the Boston Marathon. Failed to finish.

This is why multisport racing (triathlons, duathlons, etc) employ a different skillset than plain ole cycling. This is why cross-training is good.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #25607
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,015
all reet. adjustment wise, my hybrid is approaching perfect. swapped the 90mm stem for a 110mm, and moved the seat back about 15mm on its rails. I think I might drop the bars 2 more 10mm spacers but flip the stem back around so it goes up instead of straight out, which puts it just about where it is now but will look better (will be zero spacers at that point, so I probably should get a couple of the thinnest ones I can find to put above/below the stem clamp prior to whacking the steering tube off).
Old 10-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #25608
pierce
Aven'Tourer

phew. 11 miles in 57 mins, my longest ride yet since I broke my foot back in july.

http://goo.gl/maps/I4F4V

(more or less. I made a side trip to a bike shop to pick up a camelback podium 'chill' water bottle. totally worth the $11).

I know 11 miles is pretty pathetic (heck, 25 years ago I would reguarlly ride 80-100 miles), but for me, considering my physical condition, its a start.

pierce screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 03:40 PM
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #25609
Motocicletta
ridetowork

Oddometer: 506
Back on the Road

After > a month off it's time to ride again.

Santa Monica, CA
'88 R100GS
Motocicletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #25610
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,456
Any input on the Specialized Festina?

I don't really know too much about about the thing and a friend is looking into buying it. It needs some TLC and I think she can get it for cheap ($500 ish)

Input?
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #25611
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
Any input on the Specialized Festina?

I don't really know too much about about the thing and a friend is looking into buying it. It needs some TLC and I think she can get it for cheap ($500 ish)

Input?
thats a S-Works SL "Team Festina"? apparently that /was/ the exact tour-de-france frame they raced circa 2000. The Festina part is just the colors.

I think thats this bike here,
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...e#.UHoEom_A8uA

those aren't the original wheels but its 11 or so years old, so, not surprising.

most important thing is that it fits you well. per some random googling, thats a really really stiff rear triangle, suitable for high RPM mountain climbing, the front carbon forks were criticized as being a bit soft. one comment was that the chain stays were very wide and straight and if you didn't have tiny feet, they were easy to clip with your heels.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #25612
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

I can fit her to the bike I think, it may not be the perfect size but she's not sure if she's going to like cycling to begin with. The whole thing is a bit of an experiment and its a question of how much do you want to spend on something that you're not sure you're going to get into.

The bike needs work that I can do for free, and I don't think it's going to need any parts. I'm more worried about the saddle than anything as far as getting our candidate through the first couple of rides.

I'll post some pics of the clean up tomorrow. I'm thinking $500 tops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
thats a S-Works SL "Team Festina"? apparently that /was/ the exact tour-de-france frame they raced circa 2000. The Festina part is just the colors.

I think thats this bike here,
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...e#.UHoEom_A8uA

those aren't the original wheels but its 11 or so years old, so, not surprising.

most important thing is that it fits you well. per some random googling, thats a really really stiff rear triangle, suitable for high RPM mountain climbing, the front carbon forks were criticized as being a bit soft. one comment was that the chain stays were very wide and straight and if you didn't have tiny feet, they were easy to clip with your heels.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #25613
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
I can fit her to the bike I think, it may not be the perfect size but she's not sure if she's going to like cycling to begin with. The whole thing is a bit of an experiment and its a question of how much do you want to spend on something that you're not sure you're going to get into.

The bike needs work that I can do for free, and I don't think it's going to need any parts. I'm more worried about the saddle than anything as far as getting our candidate through the first couple of rides.

I'll post some pics of the clean up tomorrow. I'm thinking $500 tops.
the parts on that bike are 2001 vintage Campagnolo Record. that was like the best of the best back then. right up there with Shimano DuraAce, SRAM Red.

and, that low gear is pretty darn high for a beginner.... 39-25, phew. hope you don't have big hills. the high gear is suitable for a world class peloton spinning along at 40MPH+
Old 10-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #25614
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
This is why multisport racing (triathlons, duathlons, etc) employ a different skillset than plain ole cycling. This is why cross-training is good.
And even when there is carryover, it's not the same in both directions; I find that lots of time on the mountain bike only modestly improves my road biking fitness. But lots of time on the road bike has a pretty big impact on my mountain biking fitness. I'm not sure exactly why -- maybe I get distracted by the mental effort of riding technical trails, and so I don't push myself as hard in terms of raw power output.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #25615
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
And even when there is carryover, it's not the same in both directions; I find that lots of time on the mountain bike only modestly improves my road biking fitness. But lots of time on the road bike has a pretty big impact on my mountain biking fitness. I'm not sure exactly why -- maybe I get distracted by the mental effort of riding technical trails, and so I don't push myself as hard in terms of raw power output.
Truth. Also, it's tough to put down max power while climbing and maintain good traction.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #25616
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,693
Quote:
the parts on that bike are 2001 vintage Campagnolo Record. that was like the best of the best back then. right up there with Shimano DuraAce, SRAM Red.

and, that low gear is pretty darn high for a beginner.... 39-25, phew. hope you don't have big hills. the high gear is suitable for a world class peloton spinning along at 40MPH+

Ummm, no, not Campy. Those are Dura Ace 7700 nine speed levers, Dura Ace 7700 brake calipers, what looks like a Dura Ace seat post, Look Keo pedals, and if i had to guess, FSA cranks, can't really see them.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #25617
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
Ummm, no, not Campy. Those are Dura Ace 7700 nine speed levers, Dura Ace 7700 brake calipers, what looks like a Dura Ace seat post, Look Keo pedals, and if i had to guess, FSA cranks, can't really see them.

hmm, then someone stripped it? or maybe they were also sold as frames and you could put your own build kit on it...

multiple references online to the Team Festina being 2001 only. the 2000 and 1999 SWorks road bikes had different paint.

gee, is this the bike?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Specialized-...item2c68dfc823

same wall behind it.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #25618
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,693
Quote:
hmm, then someone stripped it? or maybe they were also sold as frames and you could put your own build kit on it...

multiple references online to the Team Festina being 2001 only. the 2000 and 1999 SWorks road bikes had different paint.

gee, is this the bike?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Specialized-...item2c68dfc823

same wall behind it.
I am not sure how it was sold, I was referring directly to the components visible in the picture posted here. Them be Shimano's stuff, fer sure.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #25619
pierce
Aven'Tourer

anyways, I don't think that would be a very beginner-friendly bike. its likely geared very high for pro class racers, its going to have a very harsh ride due to those short fat stiff chain stays in back. It is, for all practical purposes, a tour de france race bike, optimized for sprints and such.

(from the ebay listing I linked above, pretty obviously the same bike)

the ebay ad SAYS its a 2000, but bikepedia says the 2000's (which were Duraace) were black/red, not "Team Festina". It also links to the SWorks M4 version, which wasn't quite as nice as the SL (SL had Columbus E5 tubing, the M4 was Specialized's own M4 aluminum).
Old 10-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #25620
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Sorry guys, i should have been more specific about that photo. I just pulled it off the web as an example, it's not the actual bike.

This is the actual bike as it sits in my garage.

You can see it need some loving:

It has tri bars that will have to come off:

Rear brake is welded on, it's going to need to have the cable pulled out of the housing and the whole clean and lube thing.

I'm not feeling it for this match between bike and rider, or potential rider. I'm thinking that she'd be better off spending some more money and getting something newer that will fit her better and is more suited to experience level.

We'll see.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: