Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 504 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #25606
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbocelica View Post
What is it?
Is it a antisieze, lubricant or a threadlock?
A weird combination of the above, none of the above or something totally different

Justin
the few wheels I spoked 30 years ago, I used green marine grease on the threads. they trued up just fine. these were old school 3 cross 36H wheels. sewups (tubulars). campy NR hubs.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #25607
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,778
My first KOM

http://app.strava.com/activities/25589740#457327231
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #25608
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
and here's your brownie pin!

Old 10-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #25609
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,838
My buddy Tim and I rode 63 miles today to celebrate his birthday. A fairly flat beginning, with some killer hills thrown in the last 30 miles or so. This guy is 160 pounds or so, and has a family history of heart disease. He decided to head genetics off at the pass 15 years ago, and can flat out outride many guys half his age. What a strong rider... The post ride reward was a bottle of Long Trail Double IPA. Very tasty. I hope everyone got out and back without incident.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #25610
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
My buddy Tim and I rode 63 miles today to celebrate his birthday. A fairly flat beginning, with some killer hills thrown in the last 30 miles or so. This guy is 160 pounds or so, and has a family history of heart disease. He decided to head genetics off at the pass 15 years ago, and can flat out outride many guys half his age. What a strong rider... The post ride reward was a bottle of Long Trail Double IPA. Very tasty. I hope everyone got out and back without incident.
Outstanding!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #25611
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I've built with pretty much everything I could lay my hands on when I'm building wheels: spoke prep, oil, loctite, anti-seize, grease... I've never tried linseed oil.

Loctite is by far the worst option. Makes for tough times down the road when you need to true the wheels again.

After that, its basically personal preference. Lately I've been using Phil Wood Tenacious Oil. Bought the bottle while in college and still have 1/2 bottle left. I graduated college in 93, which'll tell you how little you really need of that stuff. For truly wet rides, it rocks. The rest of the time? Too much 'cause as the name sez, its tenacious.

M
Phil Tenacious Oil for ~1000 wheels built for me during my time in the biz.

For another opinion, I got a spoke kit from Buchanan's for my Airhead and it included what appeared to be linseed oil.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #25612
Motocicletta
ridetowork

Oddometer: 581
Getting Strava to Work

Phone is Verizon Samsung Illusion, tried both Mapmyride and Strava, Wify off, location services on are 1. Verizon (VZW), 2. standalone GPS and 3. Google.

The GPS drops off and straightlines untill it reconnects again. Tomorrow I am going to try standalone GPS only.

The phone is in the center jersey pocket face up, any suggestions? Is just a crappy phone? I was able to get Verizon navigation on a circa 100 mile derive to work excellent.

Santa Monica, CA
'88 R100GS
Motocicletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #25613
Chillis
Land Barge Pilot

Oddometer: 4,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motocicletta View Post
Phone is Verizon Samsung Illusion, tried both Mapmyride and Strava, Wify off, location services on are 1. Verizon (VZW), 2. standalone GPS and 3. Google.

The GPS drops off and straightlines untill it reconnects again. Tomorrow I am going to try standalone GPS only.

The phone is in the center jersey pocket face up, any suggestions? Is just a crappy phone? I was able to get Verizon navigation on a circa 100 mile derive to work excellent.
Samsung is not known for their antenna reception for GPS or cell service. Also make sure the phone is not going into deep sleep mode when the screen is off.
Chillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #25614
pierce
Aven'Tourer

whale. its gonna rain tonight and most of this week, so pulled my bike off the roof rack to stow in the garage... and decided to take advantage of the 'down time' to make my handlebars a little narrower. took about 2cm off each end with the old hack saw, dressed with coarse bastard and medium-smooth cut files, and reinstalled the ergon gp3 grips and readjusted the controls. MUCH nicer, now when I grab the outside of the gp3's for climbing or whatever, I don't feel like I'm stretching. and the narrower position for the regular grips suits me just fine... I moved the seat forward about 2cm (I'd previously shifted it back about 3cm in the clamp) and I think things are now officially perfect. I had the LBS cut the steering tube down for me, ending up with a single 5mm under the stem and a 3mm on top, and the 110mm stem is just about perfect.

taking a down day or two from riding, my legs are aching, my feet are sore. so the 16 mile loop will have to wait til next week.

hey, does anyone have any favorite fenders for 700x32 sized tires? the ones I'd gotten before (planet bike something-or-the-other) were just a bit too skinny for the 700x38c I had on that other bike. rainy season is almost upon us, it would be a shame to stop riding just as I'm recovering some wind.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:08 AM   #25615
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
So mix'n'match is okay? You can run a round big ring and an Osy small?
Absolutely, I've been doing it all season. Just apply the same rule as you would to round ring ratios (no more than a 16 tooth jump from one to the other for compact or double spiders). I'm currently running a modified compact with a 52, round big ring and 36, Rotor Q-Ring on the small. Gives me the smoother power application when I want it climbing and still gives me enough gear in the big ring to stay with the locomotives up front on the flats.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #25616
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
hey, does anyone have any favorite fenders for 700x32 sized tires? the ones I'd gotten before (planet bike something-or-the-other) were just a bit too skinny for the 700x38c I had on that other bike. rainy season is almost upon us, it would be a shame to stop riding just as I'm recovering some wind.
That has more to do with width, than brand. I've found ~7mm over the measured tire width is about the limit. At ~5mm, you'll start to get rub, when hitting bumps.

I put Planet Bike Hardcore on my GF's bike and I have SKS Chromoplastic on my bike. From those two models, I can say to definitely get a front fender style that has two sets of stays, as that'll allow you to adjust clearances to prevent toe overlap. The PB Hardcore only have one set of stays.

Oh yeah, don't even consider the trendy, flat fenders. They allow spray, out the sides.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #25617
Crocodile Tears
Anti-Semantic

Oddometer: 3,521
Does anyone have a reccomendation for a good quality reasonably priced indoor trainer? Winter is coming.... :(

2014 CB500X
2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #25618
pierce
Aven'Tourer

your bike, on rollers.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #25619
Crocodile Tears
Anti-Semantic

Oddometer: 3,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
your bike, on rollers.
Hmm, never looked into those before.

They look terrifying

2014 CB500X
2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #25620
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile Tears View Post
Hmm, never looked into those before.

They look terrifying
was a long thread here about them last winter (or maybe the one before that?)

IIRC, a suggestion was made to set it up in a doorway to get the feel for it, so you can catch yourself. they make you much smoother and improve your balance compared with a stationary bike setup. after a bit of practice, you can move it to wherever. just don't get distracted when spinning, hah!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: