Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #25621
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
I'm not feeling it for this match between bike and rider, or potential rider. I'm thinking that she'd be better off spending some more money and getting something newer that will fit her better and is more suited to experience level.

We'll see.
I had the model right before this one. Great riding bikes.

The frame will do just fine IF it fits her. Get rid of the forward-facing seatpost ASAP. Anything S-Works is going to be nicer than your middle of the line offering. ...pretty much no matter how old it is.

Parts are changeable. Gears for that vintage Record may be harder to find, but they're out there. Oh, and if you head to the LBS, the shifter cables have a different end to em than the ones you can usually pick up. Smaller diameter on the little piece on the end. All ya need to do is get a grinder and start taking off material till it fits in the shifter.

Cheap SOBs are us tip: use the rear shifter cable as the new front shifter cable (if it isn't too corroded) so all ya have to do is buy one cable.

If she ends up not liking the paint job, a powder coat job isn't too expensive. Pick any color ya want...

M
Old 10-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #25622
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,338
Just watched Premium Rush at the $2 theater last night, very well done to protrait the profession of bicycle messengers, though some footage seems to be at the wrong part of Manhattan... I'd give it 8 (out of 10) stars.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #25623
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
Just watched Premium Rush at the $2 theater last night, very well done to protrait the profession of bicycle messengers, though some footage seems to be at the wrong part of Manhattan... I'd give it 8 (out of 10) stars.
heh, yeah, movies do that, a lot. as one who grew up in San Francisco and has lived on the central california coast most of my life, I'm always amused when TV and Movies mix up the geography. The chase scenes in the Dirty Harry movies were one of the first places I noticed this.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #25624
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
heh, yeah, movies do that, a lot. as one who grew up in San Francisco and has lived on the central california coast most of my life, I'm always amused when TV and Movies mix up the geography. The chase scenes in the Dirty Harry movies were one of the first places I noticed this.
The second transformers movie had the characters in the Air and Space Museum here in NoVA. Kick out the door/wall and presto! they're at Davis Monthan in Tucson.

I went down to my local park and raced myself for 2 x 3-lap races. Ugh. 18:XX min for the first one and a little longer for the second one. My legs are about as tired as if I'd raced this weekend.

Watching today's Euro cross race as I'm typing this. cyclingtorrents.nl has it uploaded already. Helps if you know Dutch. My German is enough to get the gist of what they're saying.

M
Old 10-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #25625
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,625
Finally got to steal an hour on the bike. Laps around Fort McHenry were gorgeous; fighting traffic was worth it. 15 miles at a 15mph avg speed. That is a crappy crappy speed but considering I haven't cycled in six weeks I'll take it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #25626
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,943
I must say I have fallen in love with the bicycle. It is such a pleasure to get out and ride. Where my riding takes place, the scenery is dull but it does not matter. There is the focus on the road below as I slice through the miles and dodge rocks.

There is enough speed that it is entertaining and you can still round a bend like being on a motorcycle. I am glad life events led me to this activity.

15 .5 miles in 1 hour, 1 minute tonight
Top speed 41.6mph(gearing limited)

Thinking of doing my first multi-day ride this week. I can make quick work of the century and broaden my tracks.

Really bored with local rides and tired of mishaps with the unrelenting drivers.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:25 AM   #25627
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,992
Sprinting

Just wondered what the best strategy is for obtaining the fastest 2 mile sprint time:

1. Push as hard as you can from start to finish.
2. Keep some energy in reserve and go all out towards the end.

A guy I ride with mentioned that his track coach advocated #2, but I don't know whether this applies to bicycle sprinting.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #25628
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Just wondered what the best strategy is for obtaining the fastest 2 mile sprint time:

1. Push as hard as you can from start to finish.
2. Keep some energy in reserve and go all out towards the end.

A guy I ride with mentioned that his track coach advocated #2, but I don't know whether this applies to bicycle sprinting.
IME you can really only go 'all out' for 2-300m max. Even Cav can only keep up his sprint for 4-500m.

So, negative splits it is!

M
Old 10-15-2012, 06:36 AM   #25629
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
IME you can really only go 'all out' for 2-300m max. Even Cav can only keep up his sprint for 4-500m.

So, negative splits it is!

M
Yeah, I wondered about that while trying to set a PR on Strava this weekend. I went full blast right off the starting line, but ran out of steam about 2/3rds of the way through. By the time I reached the end I was so exhausted that I was seeing stars. All my strength was gone and all I could manage at that point was to turn around and coast back.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #25630
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,749
Quote:
Yeah, I wondered about that while trying to set a PR on Strava this weekend. I went full blast right off the starting line, but ran out of steam about 2/3rds of the way through. By the time I reached the end I was so exhausted that I was seeing stars. All my strength was gone and all I could manage at that point was to turn around and coast back.
Good job you weren't racing eh....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #25631
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Good job you weren't racing eh....
I only did it to beat the record set by a local rider who I can't stand. I'm going to beat his personal record by a wide margin and rub his face in it.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #25632
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
http://www.showerspass.com/veleau-1

Sent from my intergalactic space modulator using tapatalk
Got one of these for my wife and she really likes it. She keeps an extra bottle in a cage for refills as well.

Quote:
A local mountain biker I know finally bought his first roadbike, a Trek Madone 5.9. This guy works out with weights and has massive leg muscles coupled with tremendous endurance, and a body fat percentage of 7%. I assumed that because of all this, he'd be winning all the KOM's in the area, but so far his best placings have been 4th and 8th place on the leader board - losing out to riders who don't look to be in better shape than the average person. These KOM's consist of sprints or hill climbs, which don't require skill, just strength and endurance - which he has in spades. So why wouldn't someone who has his degree of physical development and a fast bike like the Madone 5.9 be able to easily outrun everyone else in these kinds of 'races'?

Totally different disciplines.

And no skill to a sprint or climb?
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #25633
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,238
Quote:
I only did it to beat the record set by a local rider who I can't stand. I'm going to beat his personal record by a wide margin and rub his face in it.
kinda takes the fun outta it, eh?
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #25634
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,390
Seriously Aurelius, it seems to me that you are taking all the joy out of bicycling by turning every ride into a competition. I am very competitive, but my riding buddy still kicksmy butt on hills. I can haul ass on the flats. Then we have a good laugh over post ride beers. Lighten up, and enjoy yourself.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #25635
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,943
Started trying seats today.

Grabbed a WTB Volt because it is similar size to the stock seat but is thicker in padding. Don't like it. Taking it back tomorrow.

Tried a Specialized Body Geometry something or other that weighed a ton and was huge but it was really plush. It made the bike shrink.

Now to find low profile, wide, with give while being narrow at the front and light.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: