Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 05:54 AM   #25651
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
How did you manage to display the image like that? Is it linked to Strava's website?
Just click the share button on your activity and use the "embed in blog" code.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #25652
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
I noticed that the Schwalbe Marathons are directional, but I don't know if reversing the tread would have any major effect. I did the swap on my Gatorskins and damn near wrecked trying to stop fast. Once they're worn now, I just replace them.
My Conti Contact are directional. I noticed no difference in feeling, when flipped. I do, however, notice the flattening of the profile, but, it's a bicycle. I'd rather ride than worry about the small stuff.

BTW, I used to flip my rear Michelin slick, at the track. They're a "0" degree construction. At tracks like Barber and Mid-Ohio, one side wears faster than the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
tread on bicycle tires does zilch on the pavement. you don't need rain grooves with a skinny round profile tire, you aren't going to hydroplane.

heck, slicks even work pretty good on hardpack dirt. they only suck in soft or loose stuff.

so "directional" on bike tires, which are bias ply, is purely cosmetic.
^^^ +1

Quote:
Huh. Hadn't seen that particular Sheldon note. Linky if you're interested.

I'll just continue to ignore it.
WOW!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #25653
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Just click the share button on your activity and use the "embed in blog" code.
Let's see if this works....

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #25654
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
he's got a point., a front blowout at speed is skeeery, especially in a turn. I left quite a bit of road rash on Laureles Grade near Carmel Valley once when my front sew-up ("tubular" to you kids) came unglued at speed.
Yeah, but, rolling a tubular off the rim is totally different than a blowout. In over 30 years of riding, I've never had a blowout. I'll continue to rotate my tires, to get the most out of my equipment, and leave the safety-nazi crap to the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Actually that was on the 25's I run now. Had two rears and a front go out.

I guess a smoother ride with less pressure may not be a bad thing. Less pressure means less tire inflations, right?

I am pumping up tires every two to three days. When the LBS sold me the bike he said to fill it to max psi and run for two weeks when it drops to 80psi and refill. Two days drops 16psi.
Well, the LBS is selling inaccurate advice. There's a good article here. I don't believe everything I read, but, I did try this one, while I was competing in time-trials. I definitely picked up speed and experienced a much smoother ride, when reducing pressures. There was noticably less slowing over chattery, chip and seal surfaces. Also, when you inflate to such high pressures, you're stretching the rubber of the tube. Bicycle tubes are naturally thin to reduce weight and rolling resistance. The more stretch, the more air that seeps through that membrane. And, you should be checking your tires, before every ride. You'll get better wear and more likely to find a tire problem, pre-ride.

My GF and I, both, run 32mm tires. I had a local, who's considered to be the "go-to guy" around here (he runs 23mm on everything, including his tandem), question our tire sizes and saying how they must feel really slow. When I explained that we ride whatever roads we feel like turning down and that we ride a lot of dirt and gravel, he shook his head and said "Not for me.". We broke his draft, when we took off.

What one has to realize is that there's going to be so many square inches of contact patch on the ground, based on the weight carried. In a narrow tire, that contact patch is going to be long and narrow. Conversely, a wider tire's patch is going to be shorter and wider. The narrower tire's longer patch flexes a longer portion of the sidewall, which decreases efficiency. Sidewalls are purposely made thin to allow for easier flex and better efficiency. Even so, there's a whole lot of rolling resistance in all that sidewall flex. I don't know at which point aero trumps sidewall flex in tire width, but, I'm not going to get that worried about it. For me, I'm fast enough, I go down whatever road looks intriguing, and I'm having a great time doing it. I'll leave the skinny-tired types to battle the traffic, on the asphalt.

BTW, I'm moving up to 37mm or 38mm, on the next set of tires. A bunch of new stuff just hit the market, so I'm still undecided.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #25655
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Good stuff Ducnut. I've switched all of my race tires over to the Conti GP4000 all season in a 700x25. I also used to swear by 23's but quickly found myself as a convert after borrowing a teammate's bike for a mixed surface race. I'm also the only guy on my team that runs latex tubes in every set of tires. The road feel is simply improved in every way from butyl rubber tubes. They require a bit more attentiveness to air pressure and need topping off more often, but well worth the extra time for the feedback and feel.

Sent from my intergalactic space modulator using tapatalk
Old 10-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #25656
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Good stuff Ducnut. I've switched all of my race tires over to the Conti GP4000 all season in a 700x25. I also used to swear by 23's but quickly found myself as a convert after borrowing a teammate's bike for a mixed surface race. I'm also the only guy on my team that runs latex tubes in every set of tires. The road feel is simply improved in every way from butyl rubber tubes. They require a bit more attentiveness to air pressure and need topping off more often, but well worth the extra time for the feedback and feel.
I'm exploring the tubeless option, for the same reasons, after feeling the difference on my MTB.

And, I managed to squeeze a 28mm, into my GF's road bike. She's not going back to the 23s. But, after getting a 'cross bike, she never rides her road bike, anyway. Funny, how that worked; get a more all-'rounder bike and enjoy cycling even more.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #25657
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I'm exploring the tubeless option, for the same reasons, after feeling the difference on my MTB.

And, I managed to squeeze a 28mm, into my GF's road bike. She's not going back to the 23s. But, after getting a 'cross bike, she never rides her road bike, anyway. Funny, how that worked; get a more all-'rounder bike and enjoy cycling even more.

I've been running Tubeless since June, and don't think I'll ever go back to tubes. Running Hutch Fusion 3's, 23mm at 85 F and 90 R. The ride is awesome.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #25658
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post

The last set of wheels I had built for my CAAD are Stan's Alpha Pro rims. I want to run them tubeless, but have just not found a true tubeless road tire I like. The Hutchinson Atoms are 300g each... without adding the sealant. My Conti GP4000 all seasons with latex tubes are only 240g each. I'm not adding almost a half pound in rotating weight to try tubeless just yet. On my mountain bike, I don't care as much about that weight but it makes a discernible difference on the road bike.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #25659
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,190
Quote:
Actually that was on the 25's I run now. Had two rears and a front go out.

I guess a smoother ride with less pressure may not be a bad thing. Less pressure means less tire inflations, right?

I am pumping up tires every two to three days. When the LBS sold me the bike he said to fill it to max psi and run for two weeks when it drops to 80psi and refill. Two days drops 16psi.
Ah, gotcha. Did you hit something when the tubes went flat or did they just let go on a smooth section?

I check pressure before every ride. I usually lose about 5-8psi per day until they stabilize at about 80psi after a couple days.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #25660
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Running Hutch Fusion 3's, 23mm at 85 F and 90 R. The ride is awesome.
I have been running the Fusions for over a year and really like them too. Never had a rear last 2500 miles until now. My brother, who puts in the big miles, put me onto them.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #25661
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I use 700x25 on brevets and can't remember the last time I had a pinch flat.
Hit a rock yesterday - got a flat. Dammit.

Ran a camera for the first time ever - almost took out a little dog on a long leash. I'll figure out how to slice and dice it later and try to post that segment.

k7 screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 10:45 AM
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #25662
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
in the collection of old bike tires and other odd parts I recently dumped on the local Bike Church collective, was a pair of skinny road tubes that were clear yellow but NOT latex, they appeared to be some sort of high tech rubber. I vaguely remember getting these on my road bike in the late 80s, but I'll be darned if I can remember what they were. they were very light, held air well, and were rather puncture resistant, but very difficult to patch (standard patch kits didn't stick to them).

Anyone remember what these were? My mind is aware, but my body forgets.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #25663
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,831
I remember those, but not the name. They are not rubber for sure, the patching issue probably killed them.
Quote:
in the collection of old bike tires and other odd parts I recently dumped on the local Bike Church collective, was a pair of skinny road tubes that were clear yellow but NOT latex, they appeared to be some sort of high tech rubber. I vaguely remember getting these on my road bike in the late 80s, but I'll be darned if I can remember what they were. they were very light, held air well, and were rather puncture resistant, but very difficult to patch (standard patch kits didn't stick to them).

Anyone remember what these were? My mind is aware, but my body forgets.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #25664
Chillis
Land Barge Pilot

Oddometer: 4,161
Quote:
Ah, gotcha. Did you hit something when the tubes went flat or did they just let go on a smooth section?

I check pressure before every ride. I usually lose about 5-8psi per day until they stabilize at about 80psi after a couple days.
You know, it was just one flat on this bike. The last bike got tiny thorns in the tire and I went through a couple tubes before finding those little bastards.

Current bike I hit a rock and it caused a pinch against the rim on a heavy duty tube.

I switched out my rear for the new 25 tire and a fresh tube. Just turned my front wheel around to even out the wear.

The tag on the tire says to run Max psi for my weight 178lbs, 116psi.

After going through this new tire I will go for the chubby girls for that cushier ride and less chance of pinching.
Chillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #25665
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
You know, it was just one flat on this bike. The last bike got tiny thorns in the tire and I went through a couple tubes before finding those little bastards.

Current bike I hit a rock and it caused a pinch against the rim on a heavy duty tube.

I switched out my rear for the new 25 tire and a fresh tube. Just turned my front wheel around to even out the wear.

The tag on the tire says to run Max psi for my weight 178lbs, 116psi.

After going through this new tire I will go for the chubby girls for that cushier ride and less chance of pinching.
get tires with kevlar liners, like the Gatorskins, and you won't have any problems with thorns (or my old bugaboo, tiny slivers of glass).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: