Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 246 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #25681
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brek81 View Post
I'm not the only one that creates tables for this? Lol
yeah, but do you do it in SQL ? thats GOTTA win me some nerd points.

or sumtin.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #25682
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post

or sumtin.
Hmm, I've got a half-opened box of Girl Scout Thin Mints that I found in the garage from last year I'll happily send ya. "Mostly" bug free and I'll even use the compressor to blow off the dust...
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #25683
Brek81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:

or sumtin.
I would take him up on the cookies :P

yea, I'm lame and did it in excel :( but i did do lookup tabels to quickly switch between cassettes for calculation of gear spacing.....

i wonder how well i could type on a wireless keyboard using areobars on a trainer.....
Brek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #25684
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Hmm, I've got a half-opened box of Girl Scout Thin Mints that I found in the garage from last year I'll happily send ya. "Mostly" bug free and I'll even use the compressor to blow off the dust...
ts'ok. wife has a whole drawer full of left over brownie pins. don't need any more (daughter is a senior scout and camp leader). Those cookies will still be in the same condition in a millenium, I swear.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #25685
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brek81 View Post
i wonder how well i could type on a wireless keyboard using areobars on a trainer.....
Speech to text... duh. This IS 2012 ya' know...
Old 10-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #25686
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Speech to text... duh. This IS 2012 ya' know...
and speech to text works just about exactly as well as it did in 1980. except its a bit faster at getting it equally wrong, unless you A) do extensive voice training and B) speak in a very clear slow consistent voice that you used for training.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #25687
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
and speech to text works just about exactly as well as it did in 1980. except its a bit faster at getting it equally wrong, unless you A) do extensive voice training and B) speak in a very clear slow consistent voice that you used for training.
Well, I've got a pretty thick southern drawl and my Droid does a fair job of translating to text, so I figure it's improved quite a bit since I last used it in college.

Still easier than an abacus, slide rule and marble composition notebook while pedaling.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #25688
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Some of the voice recognition software developed for medical transcription isn't too shabby, but I digress.

I'm taking the LeMond out for it's first offical ride tomorrow. It would have happened a lot sooner, but I had to undergo surgery last Thursday for a small bowel obstruction.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #25689
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Basically, the Ruby is going to have the rider sitting a bit lower in the bike, via the BB drop and shorter ST length. And, the additional BB drop may not be such a good thing, with longer crank arms (not sure of what we're using, as he was looking at framesets).

If you believe the marketing for women-specific, all women are short and have longer legs and shorter torso than men. However, not all women are built that way.

I know "MrsSpout" is an accomplished cyclist. I figure as long as the TT and HT length are good, the rest can be adjusted, as she knows what feels right to her.

The Pedal Force stuff looks nice. "Gummee!!" has mentioned them, in the past.

Don't forget Carbon Zone.
She's definitely longer in the torso, so a women-specific geometry may not be the best.

I really wanted to surprise her with a new build, but I'm not sure that's the best plan now. Two days ago she was walking around the bike store with her dad and saw a new Trek that she's got her eye on. *sigh*
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #25690
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,662
Quote:
Well, I've got a pretty thick southern drawl and my Droid does a fair job of translating to text, so I figure it's improved quite a bit since I last used it in college.
You should hear my wife, who is from Brazil, trying to get her phone to understand instructions. It's like a scene out of "Modern Family".
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #25691
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
You should hear my wife, who is from Brazil, trying to get her phone to understand instructions. It's like a scene out of "Modern Family".
my wife, from Boston, has the same problem. I grab the phone click the contact list, click dial, and hand her back the phone after about the 5th round of "Did you mean "BLAH BLAH". NO! Ok, Dialing BLAH BLAH. '
Old 10-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #25692
brewer90
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
I checked that group buy and it closed 2 days ago. Argh! For the price, it's nearly worth it to just grab it, build it up and have her ride it for a month. If she doesn't like it, no big loss.

There was no 'buy' link on the page. How do you get in late?
I just emailed the guy and asked if I could still get in and he said no problem. Based on emails from last year his name is Ming and the email is info@pedalforce.com.
brewer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #25693
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,135
Did a little over 45 miles today. Just cruising, breaking in the new WTB Volt seat. Ate a cheese steak sandwich 8 miles in because I did not eat breakfast. It was like an anchor. Still averaged 15mph without effort. Was a nice cruise.

Got to see a Kestrel on a street lamp which was cool.

I also took earplugs this time and it was very pleasant.

Reminded me why I always wore them on the motorcycle.

Going to visit home in two weeks(NY). Might try one more time for the century but the temps keep creeping up during the day.

Also of note is my neck. It does get sore from looking ahead. Is there a cure other than recumbent?
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #25694
brewer90
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
I'm doing the Livestrong ride in Austin on Sunday. Usually Lance comes out, give a rah rah speech and then rides with the top donors. I doubt we'll see him this time. Hopefully it will also mean they aren't giving out that shitty Michelob Ultra he peddles.
brewer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #25695
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,285
Any tips on straightening aluminum bars? I laid the SB95 down yesterday and made a booboo...knocked it back a couple degrees.

I was thinking of taking the controls off the RHS and using a breaker bar with the bar still attached to the bike and a buddy on the other side.

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: