Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 54 votes, 4.41 average. Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #25696
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
Any tips on straightening aluminum bars? I laid the SB95 down yesterday and made a booboo...knocked it back a couple degrees.

I was thinking of taking the controls off the RHS and using a breaker bar with the bar still attached to the bike and a buddy on the other side.
al. bars are cheap. just get a new one. stuff gets stressed when its bent, and if you try and bend iot back, it will crystalize, stretch, and crack. or become much weaker.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #25697
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 3,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
al. bars are cheap. just get a new one. stuff gets stressed when its bent, and if you try and bend iot back, it will crystalize, stretch, and crack. or become much weaker.
I was kinda worried about the metallurgy of it all...didn't know if I could heat it and make it work out. Thanks for the education.

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #25698
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
I was kinda worried about the metallurgy of it all...didn't know if I could heat it and make it work out. Thanks for the education.
is this a mountainbike style flatbar?
http://www.amazon.com/Ritchey-Comp-F...d_sim_sbs_sg_2

or a road bike drop bar?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Easton-EA30-...-/280938426214

or a cruiser bar?
http://compare.ebay.com/like/1608985...Types&var=sbar
Old 10-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #25699
rob feature
Domain Ranger

one of the bendy jobs

phone cam sucks donkey, but you get the idea. Hard to see the bend in the photo, but it's there.

WFT are component designers thinking anymore...putting faux chrome on XT sets . My new X0s (on the hardtail 29er) are chrome too...the whole flippin' rig

Old 10-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #25700
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
one of the bendy jobs
pick a bend, any bend...

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/SubCate..._202327_202348
Old 10-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #25701
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Quote:

I gots time to think about it. I whacked a couple of ribs well enough for the doc to recommend taking it easy for a few weeks. I think the bike hit me in the back too...it's kinda sore. Lotta sore stuff actually...the whole upper body thing is starting to kick in. The bike definitely took it better than I did

Old 10-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #25702
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
I gots time to think about it. I whacked a couple of ribs well enough for the doc to recommend taking it easy for a few weeks. I think the bike hit me in the back too...it's kinda sore. Lotta sore stuff actually...the whole upper body thing is starting to kick in. The bike definitely took it better than I did
a good part of the reason I gave up mtn biking. 58 is too old to be breaking bones. anyways, I broke my foot in a car crash back in july and its healing, I can't take the intensity of trail riding, so its paved bike paths for me for the near future. I'm riding a hybrid these days.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #25703
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Quote:
a good part of the reason I gave up mtn biking. 58 is too old to be breaking bones. anyways, I broke my foot in a car crash back in july and its healing, I can't take the intensity of trail riding, so its paved bike paths for me for the near future. I'm riding a hybrid these days.
That's funny...not the bad part, but I'll explain. I heard a similar comment from a buddy...he went to road riding after crashing. He had the same injury - ribs. So he went from riding trails to playing in the road for safety's sake . I'll never get it. I swear I won't.

I just turned 40, so I can't play lightly with injuries. But I'm with ya - I'm gonna use the paths for a while 'till I can take the bumps again. Ski season (at my hill) is probably gonna open this weekend too, which is really bad timing. Maybe I'll just rest up for the next coupla weeks. They say we're gonna get a good season this year.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:56 PM   #25704
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
That's funny...not the bad part, but I'll explain. I heard a similar comment from a buddy...he went to road riding after crashing. He had the same injury - ribs. So he went from riding trails to playing in the road for safety's sake . I'll never get it. I swear I won't.

I just turned 40, so I can't play lightly with injuries. But I'm with ya - I'm gonna use the paths for a while 'till I can take the bumps again. Ski season (at my hill) is probably gonna open this weekend too, which is really bad timing. Maybe I'll just rest up for the next coupla weeks. They say we're gonna get a good season this year.
the mountain riding here is pretty serious high intensity stuff, steep technical single track deep in the forests. right now, my riding has been 5-12 mile loops of levy bike paths and the west cliff ocean front bike path. I'm working up to this route which is almost entirely bike path....

http://goo.gl/maps/KklAQ

(and back on the same basic route, for about 16 miles round trip). when I can do that at a brisk pace a couple times a week without feeling like I'm going to die, then I'll expand my horizons. Bonus points, this is a really scenic loop.... view from the path right near the lighthouse...

or from a little farther west, looking back east...

(eek, 13 years ago, taken with my very first digital camera!)

p.s. said 'serious technical mountain biking' ? the west end of my route linked in this post? thats at the bottom of Wilder Ranch, and ALL those green "bike routes' north of there are bike trails, some are fire roads, many are single track. its about 1200 feet elevation at the back and sea level at the bottom. good stuff, but not for me right now.

pierce screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 12:01 AM
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #25705
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Quote:
the mountain riding here is pretty serious high intensity stuff, steep technical single track deep in the forests.

Same here - err, you get what you want. I live just under the foothills of the Rockies, so I can pick from easy, flowing singletrack all the way up to nasties. It's all accessible from home...a cyclist's heaven in any version of the word.

Don't get that beach view though. That's pretty handy. I think I could make good use of that whole beach thing.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:16 AM   #25706
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Same here - err, you get what you want. I live just under the foothills of the Rockies, so I can pick from easy, flowing singletrack all the way up to nasties. It's all accessible from home...a cyclist's heaven in any version of the word.

Don't get that beach view though. That's pretty handy. I think I could make good use of that whole beach thing.
this is norcal, not socal. The water is wet-suit cold. even on a sunny day, air temps right near the water aren't much over 70F, and the rest of the time they are 50s/60s.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:31 AM   #25707
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Quote:
this is norcal, not socal. The water is wet-suit cold. even on a sunny day, air temps right near the water aren't much over 70F, and the rest of the time they are 50s/60s.
That's why I said that beach thing...not the water thing. I grew up spending summers in the Gulf of Mexico. I'd be all conflicted being able to look but not get in. We gots cold water beaches here

Old 10-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #25708
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,808
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/pr...53.3389.0.html

Anybody use or know somebody that uses these Osymetric chain rings? The whole TDC/BDC pedal stroke thing reads like a Kevin Cameron article, but makes sense.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #25709
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post

Anybody use or know somebody that uses these Osymetric chain rings? The whole TDC/BDC pedal stroke thing reads like a Kevin Cameron article, but makes sense.
Not a new concept, but it looks like they've refined it a bit.

I've got an '86 Diamondback Ascent EX in my parents' garage with Biopace chainrings on it. Not sure if it ever made a difference.

Try it out and report back.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #25710
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post

IDK anyone, but there seems to be something to it. I didn't like the middle or big rings on my biopace crankset, but DID like the granny. I guess the oval was in the right spot for my pedal stroke on the granny ring.

Speaking of granny rings: 3:24 on the bike just now. Buddy wanted to go out in the AM so we did. Into the mist and on wet roads. Only 2 idiots out there. Did 30min of Tempo to get to the meetup spot, then another 10min interval a little while later. My legs are cooked. Started a Carmichael 'Endurance Week' 'cause I don't have any cross races this weekend. Let's see if it helps.

So now the temps are over 70 and its sunny out.

M

edited to add: Just got one of theseWore it for a bit today on my ride. You may think 'WTF?! Short sleeve waterproof jacket?!' That SS thing was the bee's knees today. It wasn't real cold, but between the Active Shell and the shorter arms I didn't get NEARLY as hot/sweaty underneath as I do in my Oxygen jacket in the same temps/conditions. I basically can't wear my Oxygen jacket 'cause it does TOO good a job at keeping wind/moisture out. I tend to run warm when I'm riding, so minimal is better.

M

Gummee! screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 12:01 PM
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: