User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #25726
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
whale. its gonna rain tonight and most of this week, so pulled my bike off the roof rack to stow in the garage... and decided to take advantage of the 'down time' to make my handlebars a little narrower. took about 2cm off each end with the old hack saw, dressed with coarse bastard and medium-smooth cut files, and reinstalled the ergon gp3 grips and readjusted the controls. MUCH nicer, now when I grab the outside of the gp3's for climbing or whatever, I don't feel like I'm stretching. and the narrower position for the regular grips suits me just fine... I moved the seat forward about 2cm (I'd previously shifted it back about 3cm in the clamp) and I think things are now officially perfect. I had the LBS cut the steering tube down for me, ending up with a single 5mm under the stem and a 3mm on top, and the 110mm stem is just about perfect.

taking a down day or two from riding, my legs are aching, my feet are sore. so the 16 mile loop will have to wait til next week.

hey, does anyone have any favorite fenders for 700x32 sized tires? the ones I'd gotten before (planet bike something-or-the-other) were just a bit too skinny for the 700x38c I had on that other bike. rainy season is almost upon us, it would be a shame to stop riding just as I'm recovering some wind.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:08 AM   #25727
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
So mix'n'match is okay? You can run a round big ring and an Osy small?
Absolutely, I've been doing it all season. Just apply the same rule as you would to round ring ratios (no more than a 16 tooth jump from one to the other for compact or double spiders). I'm currently running a modified compact with a 52, round big ring and 36, Rotor Q-Ring on the small. Gives me the smoother power application when I want it climbing and still gives me enough gear in the big ring to stay with the locomotives up front on the flats.
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #25728
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
hey, does anyone have any favorite fenders for 700x32 sized tires? the ones I'd gotten before (planet bike something-or-the-other) were just a bit too skinny for the 700x38c I had on that other bike. rainy season is almost upon us, it would be a shame to stop riding just as I'm recovering some wind.
That has more to do with width, than brand. I've found ~7mm over the measured tire width is about the limit. At ~5mm, you'll start to get rub, when hitting bumps.

I put Planet Bike Hardcore on my GF's bike and I have SKS Chromoplastic on my bike. From those two models, I can say to definitely get a front fender style that has two sets of stays, as that'll allow you to adjust clearances to prevent toe overlap. The PB Hardcore only have one set of stays.

Oh yeah, don't even consider the trendy, flat fenders. They allow spray, out the sides.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #25729
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Oddometer: 3,473
Does anyone have a reccomendation for a good quality reasonably priced indoor trainer? Winter is coming.... :(

2014 CB500X
2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #25730
pierce
Aven'Tourer

your bike, on rollers.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #25731
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Oddometer: 3,473
Quote:
your bike, on rollers.
Hmm, never looked into those before.

They look terrifying

2014 CB500X
2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #25732
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile Tears View Post
Hmm, never looked into those before.

They look terrifying
was a long thread here about them last winter (or maybe the one before that?)

IIRC, a suggestion was made to set it up in a doorway to get the feel for it, so you can catch yourself. they make you much smoother and improve your balance compared with a stationary bike setup. after a bit of practice, you can move it to wherever. just don't get distracted when spinning, hah!
Old 10-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #25733
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,840
Quote:
was a long thread here about them last winter (or maybe the one before that?)

IIRC, a suggestion was made to set it up in a doorway to get the feel for it, so you can catch yourself. they make you much smoother and improve your balance compared with a stationary bike setup. after a bit of practice, you can move it to wherever. just don't get distracted when spinning, hah!
that was probably me.

Rollers are great to make you smooth but don't typically get you strong.
Trainers are great at making you strong, but you develop a square pedaling style.

Optimally you'd have both.

Me? I'll dress warmer and ride outside thanks. I seriously dislike trainers. I've ridden my fair share of em over the years. Used to do 3.5hr trainer rides a few times/week a few winters. Was faster leaving the winter than when I went in and actually lost fitness over the spring as I got outside more.

M
Old 10-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #25734
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,245
Tires!

I am running Michelin 700x25 but my bike came with 700x35. I am not as worried about comfort as I am with avoiding pinch flats. Since going to the 25 width I have suffered 3.

Distance road riding, does it make sense to grab the wider rubber? I see all sorts of info online about what has rolling resistance and what does not. Comfort would be welcomed but not necessary.

Opinions?

Also, big mileage all road conditions tire rec's?
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #25735
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Tires!

I am running Michelin 700x25 but my bike came with 700x35. I am not as worried about comfort as I am with avoiding pinch flats. Since going to the 25 width I have suffered 3.

Distance road riding, does it make sense to grab the wider rubber? I see all sorts of info online about what has rolling resistance and what does not. Comfort would be welcomed but not necessary.

Opinions?

25c's need buttloads of PSI. like, 110psi or something.

I wouldn't use less than a 28c for anything other than racing. heck, even the tour-de-france guys run 28's on some of the rougher legs. get a good tire like a Continental Gatorskin, schwabe marathon.

also, phew, how wide are you rims? a bike that came with 35c, must be like 25mm outside, 19mm inside width on the rims? thats a rim I wouldn't want to put less than a 28 on. you need like a 14mm (inner width) rim for a 25c
Old 10-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #25736
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,763
Quote:
Tires!

Opinions?

I use 700x25 on brevets and can't remember the last time I had a pinch flat. I run them at 115 psi rear and 100 front on Velocity A23 rims with Conti Gatorskins, Conti Gran Prix 4000 or Michelin Pro Race 3's. I go about 198-200 lbs so I'm not a lightweight either. In the last event, I would have gone flat free except for one goathead that got me with about 155 miles to the finish.

Some, on the same event, had as many as 4 and 5 flats so I was lucky.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:01 AM   #25737
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,840
Quote:
Depends on your weight. Lots of guys are running 25s in the 90s (or lower) PSI these days.

also, phew, how wide are you rims? a bike that came with 35c, must be like 25mm outside, 19mm inside width on the rims? thats a rim I wouldn't want to put less than a 28 on. you need like a 14mm (inner width) rim for a 25c

I wouldn't use less than a 28c for anything other than racing. heck, even the tour-de-france guys run 28's on some of the rougher legs. get a good tire like a Continental Gatorskin, schwabe marathon.[/QUOTE]I swapped those two paragraphs around to get their order of importance right. If the bike originally came with 35c tires, chances are its got a wider rim on it. I'd say that 28c is about as narrow as you want to go. Less and you risk... ...pinch flats.

There's some really nice-riding larger tires out there. You'll pay for em, but they're worth it.

M
Old 10-23-2012, 06:55 AM   #25738
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Tires!

Opinions?

I'm currently on Conti Contact. In ~5K miles, I've suffered only one flat (a thorn).

If you want something fast, in a larger volume, look at the Conti SportContact or GatorSkin. They offer flat protection and larger sizes. It's pretty well know, in competitive circles, that the GatorSkin sets the standard for flat protection in competition tires.

Keep in mind that many Conti tires are not true to size.

In 23mm sizing and at 170lbs, I usually ran ~90psi.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #25739
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,726
Quote:

I wouldn't use less than a 28c for anything other than racing. heck, even the tour-de-france guys run 28's on some of the rougher legs. get a good tire like a Continental Gatorskin, schwabe marathon.

My new HED Ardennes CLs are 23mm wide (inner) and I'm running 23mm Hutchinson Fusions on them right now. I had the tires lying around and didn't want to pull the Marathon's off my Shimano wheels since the wire bead is such a bitch to mount. Marketing buzz from HED is that the wider wheel is more aero (who cares?) and widens the tire for a smoother ride at lower pressures without fear of pinching the tube. That much seems true.

I'm really, really, really happy with the way they ride. I can run 100psi front/rear (HED says to go no higher than 105psi on these wheels) and I'm a big guy at about 215lb. The ride is smoooooth, even on a 23mm. I'm going to switch to a puncture resistant tire as soon as these Hutchs are done, but I couldn't bear to see them sit in the closet any longer.

No flats so far and I've been riding some crappy roads. (We had one guy with two flats on Sunday's 60miler. Both were broken glass.)
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #25740
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,245
Thanks guys. I will give the gator skins a try once I wear out my current tires. Rear is getting flat across the top after a couple months of riding(600-700 miles).
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: