Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #25771
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Actually that was on the 25's I run now. Had two rears and a front go out.

I guess a smoother ride with less pressure may not be a bad thing. Less pressure means less tire inflations, right?

I am pumping up tires every two to three days. When the LBS sold me the bike he said to fill it to max psi and run for two weeks when it drops to 80psi and refill. Two days drops 16psi.
Ah, gotcha. Did you hit something when the tubes went flat or did they just let go on a smooth section?

I check pressure before every ride. I usually lose about 5-8psi per day until they stabilize at about 80psi after a couple days.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #25772
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Running Hutch Fusion 3's, 23mm at 85 F and 90 R. The ride is awesome.
I have been running the Fusions for over a year and really like them too. Never had a rear last 2500 miles until now. My brother, who puts in the big miles, put me onto them.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #25773
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I use 700x25 on brevets and can't remember the last time I had a pinch flat.
Hit a rock yesterday - got a flat. Dammit.

Ran a camera for the first time ever - almost took out a little dog on a long leash. I'll figure out how to slice and dice it later and try to post that segment.

k7 screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 10:45 AM
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #25774
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
in the collection of old bike tires and other odd parts I recently dumped on the local Bike Church collective, was a pair of skinny road tubes that were clear yellow but NOT latex, they appeared to be some sort of high tech rubber. I vaguely remember getting these on my road bike in the late 80s, but I'll be darned if I can remember what they were. they were very light, held air well, and were rather puncture resistant, but very difficult to patch (standard patch kits didn't stick to them).

Anyone remember what these were? My mind is aware, but my body forgets.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #25775
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,571
I remember those, but not the name. They are not rubber for sure, the patching issue probably killed them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
in the collection of old bike tires and other odd parts I recently dumped on the local Bike Church collective, was a pair of skinny road tubes that were clear yellow but NOT latex, they appeared to be some sort of high tech rubber. I vaguely remember getting these on my road bike in the late 80s, but I'll be darned if I can remember what they were. they were very light, held air well, and were rather puncture resistant, but very difficult to patch (standard patch kits didn't stick to them).

Anyone remember what these were? My mind is aware, but my body forgets.
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #25776
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Ah, gotcha. Did you hit something when the tubes went flat or did they just let go on a smooth section?

I check pressure before every ride. I usually lose about 5-8psi per day until they stabilize at about 80psi after a couple days.
You know, it was just one flat on this bike. The last bike got tiny thorns in the tire and I went through a couple tubes before finding those little bastards.

Current bike I hit a rock and it caused a pinch against the rim on a heavy duty tube.

I switched out my rear for the new 25 tire and a fresh tube. Just turned my front wheel around to even out the wear.

The tag on the tire says to run Max psi for my weight 178lbs, 116psi.

After going through this new tire I will go for the chubby girls for that cushier ride and less chance of pinching.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #25777
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
You know, it was just one flat on this bike. The last bike got tiny thorns in the tire and I went through a couple tubes before finding those little bastards.

Current bike I hit a rock and it caused a pinch against the rim on a heavy duty tube.

I switched out my rear for the new 25 tire and a fresh tube. Just turned my front wheel around to even out the wear.

After going through this new tire I will go for the chubby girls for that cushier ride and less chance of pinching.
get tires with kevlar liners, like the Gatorskins, and you won't have any problems with thorns (or my old bugaboo, tiny slivers of glass).
Old 10-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #25778
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,141
Quote:
I highly encourage you to try less pressure.

BTW, do you always adhere to the number on speed limit signs?
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #25779
pierce
Aven'Tourer

on a skinny tire, just a few PSI less makes a fairly big difference in ride. my daughter is like 120 lbs, and rides a old roadie converted to a flatbar with 700x25c's, I keep hers around 100psi as she's so light, and maybe even 90psi in front. 120psi is way too harsh for her, especially with the radial spoked front some tard put on that bike.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #25780
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

It looks like I'm planted here in Phoenix area for at least the rest of the year, maybe more. I'm thinking of bring one of my bicycles out but am in a muddle as to which one.
On one hand I'm thinking I'd like to get some mountian biking in on semi-technical trails. On the other hand I'm well and truely out of shape now with so many months of overtime and out of town work. So the road bike may be the way to go.

Thoughts?
Old 10-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #25781
Brek81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
It looks like I'm planted here in Phoenix area for at least the rest of the year, maybe more. I'm thinking of bring one of my bicycles out but am in a muddle as to which one.
On one hand I'm thinking I'd like to get some mountian biking in on semi-technical trails. On the other hand I'm well and truely out of shape now with so many months of overtime and out of town work. So the road bike may be the way to go.

Thoughts?
both?
Brek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #25782
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,630
Quote:

Thoughts?
I have family in Tempe and they've said that road riding in the PHX area can be pretty dangerous as the drivers just aren't adjusted to sharing the roads. No experience there myself.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #25783
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Quote:

Thoughts?
If you can find some nice, quiet scenic roads I vote road.

You could just get two sets of tires and tubes and use the mtb.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #25784
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

On another note, my bottom bracket keeps coming loose. The thread in kind. Is it time for light grade thread lock? Maybe a different style?

Also, I can feel quite a difference after changing rear tire and swapping front. Going to rotate more frequently.

Also, I will try running 90/100 and see how it feels.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #25785
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

I've noticed they aren't really aware driving around cars. Scares me to drive cars here. Up on this side of town I don't see too many bluehaired ninjas snowbirds but, it may be too early yet. They have yet to decide it is indeed cold in the north and that snow on the ground isn't decoration. Time to get on the bus and head south.

I may just go with the mtb. Or just go with the hotel treadmill for a while instead of dying out on some lonely trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
I have family in Tempe and they've said that road riding in the PHX area can be pretty dangerous as the drivers just aren't adjusted to sharing the roads. No experience there myself.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: