ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 519 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #25831
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Jeebus, that dog can RUN!
my son and a couple friends rode theire road bikes to the next town over to go to a brew pub, Ian brought a burley trailer thinking his border collie would want a ride most of the way back.

HAH! Seamus, the border collie, ran the entire 25 mile route home pacing the bikes when they were basically going flat out. and then acted like he wasn't even tired.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #25832
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I've ridden the trails, at Ocoee. That's going to be brutal!
Yeah, my teammates that raced it last year were full of all sorts of the same "encouragement"...
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #25833
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Yeah, my teammates that raced it last year were full of all sorts of the same "encouragement"...
I encourage you to have a beer and re-think that.

Go race the track instead. LOTS fewer hills.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #25834
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,963
Oh, I've had the beer(s) mmmmmm... imperial stouts... oh, back on topic. I've rethought it and hemmed over it, but the decision is made. I really enjoy road racing and crit racing, but last year just had me chasing goals that were attainable, yet just beyond the tip of my fitness level compared to the other racers in my area. I'll still hit the bigger omniums and road races in the state, just skipping the speedway training series and short track crits that consume time/money yet yield nothing in points or fitness. I'm always seeking out new challenges and the NUE series seems to be a great avenue for that. Racing against the likes of Jeremiah Bishop and others, I have no aspirations at podium finishes... merely to change up the scenery, reset the soul and challenge the body in a new way.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #25835
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion
 
YakSpout's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: all by myself
Oddometer: 6,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
, I have no aspirations at podium finishes... merely to punish my body, cry like a baby and revisit breakfast in a new way.
Fixed that for ya.

Good luck, Ridge, those races sound brutal.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #25836
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Fixed that for ya.

Good luck, Ridge, those races sound brutal.
Ha! You're probably spot-on with all those... thanks?
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #25837
soewe812
Wag more Bark less
 
soewe812's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Springville, Utah
Oddometer: 1,004
Just got in from 5 hours of LSD. 75 miles. My longest ride yet since Gummie got me riding again. I guess that is technically a metric century as well. Now that winter is upon us I've put up the intervals until spring. Now I just commute 5 days a week and go for a long ride on my day off. Studded tires should be here by the weekend and it looks like it will be just in time for the next snow storm.

How do you embed a route map from Strava?

Only one asshole on the road today... me!

soewe812 screwed with this post 11-06-2012 at 05:45 PM
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #25838
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion
 
YakSpout's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: all by myself
Oddometer: 6,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812 View Post
Just got in from 5 hours of LSD. 75 miles. My longest ride yet since Gummie got me riding again. I guess that is technically a metric century as well. Now that winter is upon us I've put up the intervals until spring. Now I just commute 5 days a week and go for a long ride on my day off. Studded tires should be here by the weekend and it looks like it will be just in time for the next snow storm.

How do you embed a route map from Strava?

Only one asshole on the road today... me!
Nice. :)

Go to the ride and above the upper right corner of the map is a drop-down labeled 'More'. Click that and click 'Embed on blog' and it'll give you the code you need to paste into the forum.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #25839
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,116
got my chinee "1800 Lumen Cree XM-L T6" headlamp today. the one thats a clone of the MagicShine MJ800 or whatever. holy CRAP its bright. probably 700 lumens, not 1800, but still. thats just a wild guess, but its nearly as bright as a motorcycle low beam, but somewhat more concentrated into a spot beam.

I'll get around to setting up and taking a couple test pictures down a dark road with fixed exposures to compare it with a NR '130 lumen' and a planetbike something, and maybe even my car's lowbeams :)

but probably not tonight.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #25840
soewe812
Wag more Bark less
 
soewe812's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Springville, Utah
Oddometer: 1,004
Luv my Magicshines. This time of year my commute is in the dark both ways. The matching rear blinkies are bright as hell also. Get the "y" wire and a rear and your good to go. Got mine from Geomangear.com, but they went out of business over a battery recall.
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #25841
soewe812
Wag more Bark less
 
soewe812's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Springville, Utah
Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Nice. :)

Go to the ride and above the upper right corner of the map is a drop-down labeled 'More'. Click that and click 'Embed on blog' and it'll give you the code you need to paste into the forum.

Got it. Thanks!
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #25842
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
got my chinee "1800 Lumen Cree XM-L T6" headlamp today. the one thats a clone of the MagicShine MJ800 or whatever. holy CRAP its bright. probably 700 lumens, not 1800, but still. thats just a wild guess, but its nearly as bright as a motorcycle low beam, but somewhat more concentrated into a spot beam.

I'll get around to setting up and taking a couple test pictures down a dark road with fixed exposures to compare it with a NR '130 lumen' and a planetbike something, and maybe even my car's lowbeams :)

but probably not tonight.
so I've been running it on high for an hour (battery test, its only been charged once so far)... wow, the LED on the back has changed from green (fully charged) to blue. rumor has it, it turns yellow at 30% charge, and red at 10%. I know the $80 Magicshine MJ808 does this, but previous reviews of these $33 noname lights said they didn't. also, my reflector DOES have the orange peel surface (gives more even lighting outside the central beam area), while other peoples reviews of these noname lights said they had a smooth polished reflector.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:14 AM   #25843
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,833
...and mine's not here yet.

Need it for tonite's ride.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:21 AM   #25844
somecallmetim
Surf &/or Die
 
somecallmetim's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Loudonville, Ohio
Oddometer: 1,113
Ryan O'Dell, the NUE director/owner lives down the street from me...

I'm going to do the 100k at Mohican next year, I have lots of work to do, the furthest I've mtbiked in a day is about 30 miles, my longest race this year was only 12...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Getting a bit burned out of racing on the road, so I'm trying a new racing series next year. The National Ultra Endurance MTB series is one of those that will test every facet of my fitness both physically and mentally. All races are a minimum of 100 miles off road with a mix of single track, fire access roads and gravel roads. Most are set in the mountains and feature an extensive amount of elevation change. The first race in the series is the Cohutta 100. Approximately 17,000 feet of elevation in 100 miles of racing.

Training begins now...
__________________
6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy...
somecallmetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:51 AM   #25845
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim View Post
Ryan O'Dell, the NUE director/owner lives down the street from me...

I'm going to do the 100k at Mohican next year, I have lots of work to do, the furthest I've mtbiked in a day is about 30 miles, my longest race this year was only 12...
Cool, I'll find you there. Mohican is on my to-do list of the NUE races next year.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015