Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #25831
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I wouldn't say that about BIKE magazine(Bicycling - yes). They received three CB Kronolog posts. One had a failure, that CB covered under warranty. They, also, reported exactly what failed in that post (it was a part that wasn't to tolerances; not a design issue). What they had to say about the Specialized Command Post is exactly what I've experienced (finicky cable attachment that can fail).

I don't believe everything I read, either. However, with the cost of these posts, I'd be willing to trust a reputable mag, whose testers ride a lot more and are exposed to a lot more product than I, than I'd trust opinions of forum members. Not being smart, here. It's just that I have a tendency to trust a pool of riders who've seen all the stuff out there and have a collective experience that rivals what you're going to find here.
Yeah I hear ya, I should add I have a pretty big attachment to my LBS... they have been phenonmenal with everything the last year or so, and I'd really prefer to give them business than go elsewhere. That probably explains my preference to go with the Giant Post than the others.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #25832
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Yeah I hear ya, I should add I have a pretty big attachment to my LBS... they have been phenonmenal with everything the last year or so, and I'd really prefer to give them business than go elsewhere. That probably explains my preference to go with the Giant Post than the others.
No harm. But, when it comes to something like this, which has very limited appeal, I tend to look elsewhere for info. We don't have a huge MTB community, so listening to what some of our shops say is like asking someone on the street for MTB help. BTW, your LBS can get anything available, as I'm sure they order through QBP (Quality Bike Parts). You can use the flip catalog to find the part numbers of what you're after. Dropper posts start here.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #25833
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,256
I didnt realize that, though I should have with my experience in sales. Thanks man, I'll look around a bit more.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #25834
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Any experience with dropper style seat posts? I feel like I'm a pretty solid mountain biker, and my Giant Reign is one of the best things I've ever purchased. Besides brakes, the only other 'complaint' (can't really call it that) is having to interrupt my 'flow' to get off the bike and lower the seat for downhill sections. I love making use of all 6" ... that's where the bike really shines. And to climb efficiently, I really need to get back off the bike and extend the post higher, otherwise I'm not able to get near my full power to the pedals.

LBS has the giant post for $220+tx... it seems steep but it also seems like an amazing addition to the ride, and I wont buy online... the LBS is amazing with customer support and super nice guys. I also figure I'll always be able to take the seat post with me as I move on to other bikes (eventually). I've heard some negatives of seat play and mechanical failures, but I've also heard they're worth their weight in gold. Thoughts?
$220??? WOW!!

This was $29.95 BITD:

4+ inches of drop, but you did have to remove a hand from the handlebar. Adds maybe 3 oz to the bike. No play/lost motion and any failure won't stick you in the low position.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #25835
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut;19911083[URL="http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/a8e5bd2a#/a8e5bd2a/1"
QBP[/URL] (Quality Bike Parts). You can use the flip catalog to find the part numbers of what you're after. Dropper posts start here.
the fun part about that QPB onine catalog is finding stuff. clue, go to the LAST page (the >| icon on the bottom), then go BACKWARDS through the pages, the index is on the right margin of the right page. this years catalog, the clothing and accessories section is a lovely pale yellow on light green, almost impossible to read at normal size on my 24" computer monitor, but a half dozen pages before that, the regular components index starts, and its got a orange background and is at semi-readable. once you find a page number, like 333 for cranksets, then type that number into the page number field in the middle bottom and hit Enter, and voila, there you are. click on something to zoom, click again to unzoom, left/right or pageup/pagedown to flip through.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #25836
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,962
Anyone know a bit about bottom brackets?

Been having issues with mine and realised spinning the pedals loosens them. I thought that was supposed to tighten them?

Maybe my bike was assembled backwards!

I had to tighten the bb again and now it is binding. Maybe it is too wide and bottoming on the cups?

I could get another bb but I would like a set and forget model next time around.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:58 PM   #25837
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Anyone know a bit about bottom brackets?

Been having issues with mine and realised spinning the pedals loosens them. I thought that was supposed to tighten them?

Maybe my bike was assembled backwards!

I had to tighten the bb again and now it is binding. Maybe it is too wide and bottoming on the cups?

I could get another bb but I would like a set and forget model next time around.
what sort of BB is it? loose ball and cone, square post cranks? you need a spanner and a pin wrench to adjust those properly. a bike shop should have everything they need to do it, on your own, its kinda tricky to get just right.

frankly, if a square post loose ball and cone BB is giving you trouble, I'd replace it with a $25 Shimano UN26 or whatever, needs to be the right length but otherwise, its just plug and play. one side you install a cup that you grease and screw in all the way, then slip in the BB, then the other side is a lock ring, grease it if its metal, but don't grease it if its plastic, and you screw it in fairly tight, the bearings are sealed and preset so they can't loosen up. then grease the posts and install the cranks. oh yeah, you need a BB tool and a crank puller to do that job too, but a LBS should do it for like $30 or something.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #25838
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
what sort of BB is it? loose ball and cone, square post cranks? you need a spanner and a pin wrench to adjust those properly. a bike shop should have everything they need to do it, on your own, its kinda tricky to get just right.

frankly, if a square post loose ball and cone BB is giving you trouble, I'd replace it with a $25 Shimano UN26 or whatever, needs to be the right length but otherwise, its just plug and play. one side you install a cup that you grease and screw in all the way, then slip in the BB, then the other side is a lock ring, grease it if its metal, but don't grease it if its plastic, and you screw it in fairly tight, the bearings are sealed and preset so they can't loosen up. then grease the posts and install the cranks. oh yeah, you need a BB tool and a crank puller to do that job too, but a LBS should do it for like $30 or something.
It is square spindle. I have the tools and have swapped once. I wiped some of the grease out and cranked it very snug this evening but it is definitely catching on the metal screw in lock screw or whatever it is called.

I don't have a pin wrench or spanner. The special toothed socket, the combination crank puller tool, and a big adjustable wrench.

Looking at the different designs, a lot of them come with a thread lock on the threads.

I will get another new one, clean the threads, and dab some light grade thread lock on the threads and reinstall with less force this time.

Grease leaked out of the threads of current bb.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:06 AM   #25839
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
It is square spindle. I have the tools and have swapped once. I wiped some of the grease out and cranked it very snug this evening but it is definitely catching on the metal screw in lock screw or whatever it is called.
is it a sealed bearing cartridge, or a loose ball and cone thing in there now?

a loose one is like this...

but thats a really /nice/ one from the early/mid 80s. with those, you have to set the cones just right so they are smooth, and this takes the pin spanner and whatever to adjust and tighten. the end on the top left is installed on the drive side, and torqued down (lightly grease the threads first, then put the bearings on the axle, heavily grease them, then insert the axle, and put the other piece on the far right on the non-drive side. the NDS cap has a lock ring, and you need to loosen the lock ring, adjust the inside piece to the bearing is just so, then tighten the lock ring. if it binds, redo it backing out the inner piece a hair. rinse repeat and it shoudl be good for /years/

if you have a cartridge bearing, its important to clean the threads thoroughly... grease the metal on metal threads but if the keeper ring on the other side is plastic, do NOT grease it. you insert the BB tool into that ring and torque it on pretty good (specs in Shimano lit here...
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830677388.pdf
says 50-70 N*m, or 7-10 ft-lbs.

if the ends of the bottom bracket hanger on your frame aren't smooth and parallel, they won't seat right. a decent bike shop has a tool for facing the ends so they ARE parallel and square
Old 10-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #25840
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,136
Quote:
the fun part about that QPB onine catalog is finding stuff. .
I agree; provides hours of entertainment.

Quote:
this years catalog, the clothing and accessories section is a lovely pale yellow on light green, almost impossible to read at normal size on my 24" computer monitor, but a half dozen pages before that, the regular components index starts, and its got a orange background and is at semi-readable. once you find a page number.
Yeah, WTF were they thinking? The contrast makes the index nearly useless.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:29 AM   #25841
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,576
On right now: Pilzen Cross

Live from EUR!

M
(but its in either Belgian or Dutch)
Old 10-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #25842
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,576
Just got in from not quite 2hrs with 2 x 3-lap 'cross races' around my local park.

That's on top of yesterday's 3:40 or so up and down the hills between my house, Rectortown, Marshall, and Warrenton.

Ugh are my legs tired.

M
Old 10-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #25843
Craiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Go to buy cold weather pants and thinking of buying a road bike

Need some advice from the very experienced and knowledgeable riders here.
I was not real happy with the owner of the Specialized LBS, we have 3 LBS within 1/2 blocks of each other. I went to the Giant LBS to look at some cold weather riding pants. I was on my GSA which has a very distinct paint job and it is street only parking. The older gentleman working commented how he had seen my GSA at the other bike shop and politely asked why I had never shopped with him. I told him I came to the store back in the summer when I was looking to buy a bike but the young man working at the time seemed to have no time for my novice questions and ignored me returning to his conversations who I assumed was his riding buddies. He shook his head and apologized and stated I was the fourth or fifth person he has talked to telling the same general story and he had let that person go about a month ago just for that reason. He said I am the owner and would like to welcome you to the store and showed me his selection of cold weather riding pants. I found a pair of pants I liked and he discounted them 20% I continued to look around. We talked a little and I shared with him my interest in wanting to get a road bike. He said I can make you a great deal on a left over 2012 55.5 Giant Defy Composite 3 cash/check price $1,100 + tax he also said he would take my 2013 Crosstrail in on trade if I wanted to do that but would have to look at it before he could give me a price. I can test ride it anytime but it did not feel bad sitting on it in the store.
This seems like a lot of bike for a good price but again I am still a cycling noob just wanted some advice Pros Cons or other thoughts before going in for a test ride...

Bike Frame Information

Frame.... Giant Composite Technology
Fork... Advanced-Grade Composite, Full-Composite OverDrive Steerer

Drivetrain Information

Shifters.....Shimano Tiagra
Front Derailleur..Shimano Tiagra
Rear Derailleur...Shimano Tiagra
Chain Shimano...Tiagra
Crankset.....FSA MegaExo, 34/50
Cassette Shimano Tiagra 12x28, 10-Speed
Bottom Bracket...Shimano, Press Fit

Tire and Wheel Specifications

Rims.........Giant P-R2
Spokes DT Swiss Competition, 14/15g
Front Hub Giant Sealed Bearing 24/28h
Rear Hub Giant Sealed Bearing 24/28h
Front Tire Giant P-R3, Flat Guard, Front and Rear Specific, 700x23
Rear Tire Giant P-R3, Flat Guard, Front and Rear Specific, 700x23

2012 Defy Composite 3 Group set

Brakes.......Tektro TK-R540 Giant Specific, Dual Pivot.
Brake Levers....Shimano Tiagra
Handlebars.....Giant Connect, 31.8
Stem.........Giant Sport
Saddle.......Giant Performance Road,
Seat-post.....Giant Vector Composite
Old 10-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #25844
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Craiger, you can get a lot of bike on the used market too. 1100 plus tax for carbon frame and tiagra drive train is OK. Nashbar has a full carbon road bike that has no decals but comes with better components for a similar price plus they do sales constantly and no tax if you are out of state.

Also consider what you may want to do with the bike. Longer rides and you may want something with built in rack mounts.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #25845
Craiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Craiger, you can get a lot of bike on the used market too. 1100 plus tax for carbon frame and tiagra drive train is OK. Nashbar has a full carbon road bike that has no decals but comes with better components for a similar price plus they do sales constantly and no tax if you are out of state.

Also consider what you may want to do with the bike. Longer rides and you may want something with built in rack mounts.
WOW Nashbar just made my head spin... The problem with Nashbar for me is I don't know the components or have enough experience to know what I would be ordering... I just started cycling this summer and had not had a bike since my Schwinn Varsity ten speed 30 years ago. I bought my Hybrid not knowing what type or even if I would like cycling. I needed to find a physical activity I might enjoy and the last few months I have been cycling an avg. 5 or 6 days a week, I am cycling 12 to 17 miles per ride through the week and on weekend rides I have been doing 15 to 25 mile days trying to build my base fitness. I have been road riding in and around town with the occasional trip to the bike trail. Saturday was to be my first fitness test as my goal was to try and do 50 miles Saturday but I had the eggbeater collapse again 10.5 miles into my ride. With 95% of my miles on the road I figured I might like a road bike better than my hybrid for how I have been riding. Just for reference I am 6' 3" 228lbs with a 32" inseam I wondered if I was a little big for a composite bike but the bike shop owner assured me the bike would handle my size....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: