ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 274 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 10:36 AM   #25876
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,022
the chinese ebay vendor took 5 days to get around to actually dropping mine into the HK Post. :-/

I figure 10 more days before I see it.


did some more reading. these are apparently clones of the MagicShine MJ-808E, which is a $80 Chinese XR-L based light. The 'original' has a multicolor LED in the switch that shows charge state, while these $35 ones just go from green to red, and the original has a tempered glass lens, these clones have a thinner regular glass lens (but I'm replacing mine with http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wide-Angle-L...-/280752532003 asap...).
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #25877
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,878
Live streaming video: 2:45pm CET (9:45am U.S. Eastern)


Koppenberg Cross

Thurs. Be there or be square!

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #25878
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 5,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Well, the sun is setting at about 1830 now, and starting next week it will be 1730
And I get off work at 1530 As soon as rugby season's done it's lap intervals at Druid Hill Park for me!

Hey, what's everybody's favorite windproof outer layer?
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:40 PM   #25879
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
And I get off work at 1530 As soon as rugby season's done it's lap intervals at Druid Hill Park for me!

Hey, what's everybody's favorite windproof outer layer?
My Volvo.

__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:34 PM   #25880
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 5,195
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:00 PM   #25881
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,022
when I was a all weather rider, if it was windy or cold I wore leggings with my bike shorts and a gortex windbreaker that had armpit vents, and a PVC+Nylon rain suit with rain pants if it was raining hard. I ran fenders on my road and mtn bikes and commuted with one or another year around.

in the 70s, those leggings were black wool. I'm sure they have something microfleece now.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:00 AM   #25882
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
when I was a all weather rider, if it was windy or cold I wore leggings with my bike shorts and a gortex windbreaker that had armpit vents, and a PVC+Nylon rain suit with rain pants if it was raining hard. I ran fenders on my road and mtn bikes and commuted with one or another year around.

in the 70s, those leggings were black wool. I'm sure they have something microfleece now.
1. In the nasties, fenders rawk
2. PVC has been replaced by Gore Tex
3. Wool (merino specifically) is making a huge comeback. Most of my cycling socks are now merino. Got some new arm and knee warmers that're merino but haven't worn em yet.

I'm one of those guys that likes knickers and knee warmers over tights and leg warmers. I just get too hot too quickly. S'why I hardly wear my Assos 851 jacket. With just a base layer, its good to go to the range.

Missed a ride yesterday. At the time I was getting motivated, my little brother sez he needs a ride to the airport. Oh well. The up side is that I found my Castelli gloves that I thought I'd driven off, leaving em on top of the car. Only paid $20 for em, but that's $40-50 I didn't have to spend to replace em.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:14 AM   #25883
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 5,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
in the 70s, those leggings were black wool. I'm sure they have something microfleece now.
Nope. I wear these, and something similar on the top.
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:24 AM   #25884
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Hey, what's everybody's favorite windproof outer layer?
I've been wearing Craft ski wear, over Craft winter cycling gear. I usually put a windbreaker over all that, with a neoprene balaclava up top. Wool socks are all that I wear. I use Craft outer gloves over Pearl Izumi liners. Our winds are extremely harsh, in the flats of central IL. We get a jetstream, out of the NW, from IA, NE, and the Dakotas. Even with all the layers, on windy days, I freeze. I hate it, here.

Some of the Great Divide racers run Mont-Bell products.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
My Volvo.

That's awesome!
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #25885
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,878
Koppenberg cross on now

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #25886
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer
 
RxZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Oddometer: 1,831
I seriously thought about going with the chinese version. I ordered a MJ-808E from a US dealer though. It cost more, but some guys I ride with some talked me into going with the US version. That said, I am excited to be able to keep riding during the "winter". It really isn't that cold here, but getting dark by 6 PM, when I can not get to the trail before 5:30 would other wise end my riding until the spring.

Oh, I ordered mine on Tuesday from some place in Illinois. The tracking number says it should be here tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
the chinese ebay vendor took 5 days to get around to actually dropping mine into the HK Post. :-/

I figure 10 more days before I see it.


did some more reading. these are apparently clones of the MagicShine MJ-808E, which is a $80 Chinese XR-L based light. The 'original' has a multicolor LED in the switch that shows charge state, while these $35 ones just go from green to red, and the original has a tempered glass lens, these clones have a thinner regular glass lens (but I'm replacing mine with http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wide-Angle-L...-/280752532003 asap...).
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #25887
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,022
note, I said, the MJ-808 is ALSO a Chinese lamp. Magicshine is a Shenzhen company.

Shenzhen MINJUN Electronic Co.,Ltd
Add: 3/F, Building D, Huali Industrial Zone, 28 Baoan District, Shenzhen, China

from http://www.magicshine.hk/Contact.aspx

So these amazon lamps are Chinese copies fo a chinese lamp
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #25888
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,244
Phony factory specs?

Last weekend I got a test ride on Specialized's $10,000 S-Works Epic Carbon XTR. They claim it's the lightest production full suspension 29er in the world today. When I asked for specifics, I was told it weighs 18.9 lbs. But when one was weighed, it tipped the scales at 23 lbs, without pedals:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/07/16/...ctual-weights/

Where did the extra 4.1 lbs come from?
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #25889
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer
 
RxZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Oddometer: 1,831
Yeah, I wasn't clear on that... I meant that I was counseled (talked into) buying from an American vendor vs Chinese. Mainly for any issues that come up it would be easier to get in touch with someone for help. Either way, I hope my light lives up to expectations, as I hope the same for you and your new light

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
note, I said, the MJ-808 is ALSO a Chinese lamp. Magicshine is a Shenzhen company.

Shenzhen MINJUN Electronic Co.,Ltd
Add: 3/F, Building D, Huali Industrial Zone, 28 Baoan District, Shenzhen, China

from http://www.magicshine.hk/Contact.aspx

So these amazon lamps are Chinese copies fo a chinese lamp
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #25890
mud
I just wander.....
 
mud's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Roseville, MN
Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Last weekend I got a test ride on Specialized's $10,000 S-Works Epic Carbon XTR. They claim it's the lightest production full suspension 29er in the world today. When I asked for specifics, I was told it weighs 18.9 lbs. But when one was weighed, it tipped the scales at 23 lbs, without pedals:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/07/16/...ctual-weights/

Where did the extra 4.1 lbs come from?
Tires?
__________________
2007 Factory Husaberg 380FE
2007 Montesa 4rt
1984 Husqvarna 500AE
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014