Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 237 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #25906
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Well, my light came in, and holy COW that thing is bright! I knew what all the reviews I found said, but actually turning it on the first time I laughed like a little kid. I was amazed! Now to attache the base to my helmet, and next week I'll get to try it out on the trails.

MagicShine MJ-808E if anyone is interested. I'll give an initial impression from a MTB noob once I get a ride or two in.
mine is still somewhere in China Post between Shenzhen and here...
Old 11-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #25907
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
You'll love it once it gets to you!
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #25908
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Hopefully, it's not on the proverbial "slow boat".

4 hrs. on the MTB today. The ride leader/organizer decided to lay the smack down on a couple of big-talking n00bs. Needless to say, there was some climbing to be had.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #25909
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,091
Had an incredible time at Santos today.

I went out there with the intention of setting just one Personal Record, and instead I set FIVE. I'm now in 2nd place on one leader board (gonna try for 1st tomorrow!), and I moved up to 8th place on another, beating the great Donnie Harries' PR by one second. By sheer coincidence, I happened to meet Donnie while I was up there and told him I might have just beaten his record on the 'Pine Straight Sprint Out'. He said he'd be 'following' me on Strava to see if I pulled it off. By the looks of him, I'd say he weighs no more than 135 lbs. No fat, just muscle covered with a thin layer of skin. No wonder he practically owns all the leader boards out there. I also had the satisfaction of proving one of the women riders I know wrong. She assured me I'd never beat pro racer Jen Hartman's records, but I did. Two of them, in fact. And by a pretty decent margin.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #25910
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,949
On October 24, I decided to go out for one last ride on the Giant XTC 29er hardtail. Just a little over 7 miles into it, I lost the front in a section of fast whoops. Dammit.

Two hours later, this was delivered to my house. It would be four days before I could ride it.

An older coworker of a riding buddy had recently put this 2011 Pivot up for sale and it is freaking mint. Six rides so far. This bike climbs like a hardtail due to the DW link rear and it hauls ass in the twisty stuff too. I'm not the type to pay 5+ grand for a bicycle, but this thing was too good a deal to pass up for less than half price. No wonder the MTBR reviews rave about it.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #25911
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,606
I swore I was going to take it easy today....

I've been riding Saturdays with the Phoenix Metro Bicycle Club - good group, averages between 80-100 riders, 35-40 miles, terrian varies but honestly, it's mostly flat.

Today, I decided to take it easy and enjoy the route. I started out towards the rear and slowly picked off others one-by-one without really making an effort.

At about the 8 mile point, I was riding alone when a tandem passed me. Nice bike, older couple, 90-mm deep rear wheel, 60-mm on the front - it all added up to a little much temptation so I jumped on their rear wheel and kicked my speed from the 18-19 that I was rolling to closer to 28 mph.

Within about 10 minutes, we caught the fastest group and then traded positions with them. This group tends to do jackrabbit starts from every damn light while the tandem and I tended to roll up to speed in a more deliberate fashion. The tandem and I traded leads but I knew they weren't getting much of a draft off of me.

The fast guys made multiple attempts to jump on my wheel but they had the same issue - hard to draft a recumbent. Eventually, I dropped the tandem and led the fast guys until I tired and gave up the lead. As I fell back a little, I found another wind and decided it would be big fun to ride beside the pace line. They were only doing around 23-24 so I simply rode beside them and then tried not to get dropped as they did their normal, jackrabbit starts.

We ended up with just over 36 miles and I really had a blast. I had never drafted a fast tandem before and quite enjoyed it.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #25912
pierce
Aven'Tourer

anyone here have A) a recent 3x9 mountain gearing setup and B) a dial or digital caliber?

could you measure the gear spacing for me? one method might be to use the depth gauge feature on the butt end of the caliber to measure the distance from the outer face of the derailleur to the side of the seat tube? or, measure the outside face of one sprocket to the same side face of another (but stamped sprockets can be tricky there).

I want to compare the spacing of a 3x9 with a 3x8 ... I'm thinking of getting a deore triple 48-36-26 crankset to replace my clunky 3x8 'Tourney' 48-38-28 but sticking with the 8 speed rear for now. I'll get a deore 3x9 front too, as my c50 front sucks it.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:49 AM   #25913
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,683
Quote:
anyone here have A) a recent 3x9 mountain gearing setup and B) a dial or digital caliber?

could you measure the gear spacing for me? one method might be to use the depth gauge feature on the butt end of the caliber to measure the distance from the outer face of the derailleur to the side of the seat tube? or, measure the outside face of one sprocket to the same side face of another (but stamped sprockets can be tricky there).
What's the question? Will the 9sp crankset work? If that's the question then the answer's 'it should.'

Going 9sp is going to mean a new BB too. No such thing as a square taper 9sp crankset any more.

As a note: I've been running my 8sp vintage (M950) XTR crank on my otherwise 9sp bike.

M
Old 11-04-2012, 06:16 AM   #25914
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
What's the question? Will the 9sp crankset work? If that's the question then the answer's 'it should.'

Going 9sp is going to mean a new BB too. No such thing as a square taper 9sp crankset any more.

As a note: I've been running my 8sp vintage (M950) XTR crank on my otherwise 9sp bike.

M
the Deore M590/M591 triples are 2-piece with an integral outboard bearing BB.

my concern is, I've heard the 9 speed triples are slightly closer spaced than the 8 speed triples, but I'd like to continue using my 8 speed chain and shifters for the time being. I ran an 8 speed chain on a cheap FSA Vero compact crank meant for 10 speed before, and the teeth on the chain rings got eaten up pretty fast (I also had to add spacers to increase the chain ring seperation so the chain didn't scrape the back of the 50 when it was on the 34, but that bike was friction shift and I'd as soon stick with SiS trigger shift on this one)

Old 11-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #25915
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #25916
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post

I went out there with the intention of setting just one Personal Record, and instead I set FIVE. I'm now in 2nd place on one leader board (gonna try for 1st tomorrow!), and I moved up to 8th place on another, beating the great Donnie Harries' PR by one second. By sheer coincidence, I happened to meet Donnie while I was up there and told him I might have just beaten his record on the 'Pine Straight Sprint Out'. He said he'd be 'following' me on Strava to see if I pulled it off. By the looks of him, I'd say he weighs no more than 135 lbs. No fat, just muscle covered with a thin layer of skin. No wonder he practically owns all the leader boards out there. I also had the satisfaction of proving one of the women riders I know wrong. She assured me I'd never beat pro racer Jen Hartman's records, but I did. Two of them, in fact. And by a pretty decent margin.
IMHO you should pull back the jets a bit on all of this. If someone in my riding group displayed this type of attitude, they'd be riding alone. One would also think if you were this fast, you'd be making money while riding your bike instead of paying to do so. I understand being competitive, but damn man, it's a hobby.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #25917
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post

Do you shout,"Strava!!!" To get people out of the way? It seems this focus on "records" may out others at risk on public trails where they may not be expecting someone to be on a mission from Strava.

I'm as competitive as the next old fart but on our group rides, everyone is on the same page so to speak....there's a lot of passing and the such but at the end of the ride, we're all sitting at the same table enjoying a light breakfast.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #25918
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,427
Tim and I rode a hard 40 today, with a large part along the CT Shoreline. There was a lot of sand across the beach roads, making it interesting... Quite a few homes still without power in Madison, Clinton and Westbrook. Still a beautiful day for a ride. I'm going to be riding the Mrn bike a lot more through the winter months. I just hope we get some solid freeze for a month or two, so We can get out on the studded tires. Now that is a trip, riding on glare ice! I hope everyone had a fun, safe ride.
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #25919
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Tim and I rode a hard 40 today, with a large part along the CT Shoreline. There was a lot of sand across the beach roads, making it interesting... Quite a few homes still without power in Madison, Clinton and Westbrook. Still a beautiful day for a ride. I'm going to be riding the Mrn bike a lot more through the winter months. I just hope we get some solid freeze for a month or two, so We can get out on the studded tires. Now that is a trip, riding on glare ice! I hope everyone had a fun, safe ride.
Nice! Hope can take and post a few pictures too.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #25920
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
IMHO you should pull back the jets a bit on all of this. If someone in my riding group displayed this type of attitude, they'd be riding alone.
I don't understand this comment. People generally ride alone when they're out there to set a new personal record. At other times they're quite happy to ride with friends.

Quote:
One would also think if you were this fast, you'd be making money while riding your bike instead of paying to do so. I understand being competitive, but damn man, it's a hobby.
There are lots of hobbies people take quite seriously, but not with a view to earning money from them. What exactly is your objection to people striving to improve their performance?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: