User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 246 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #25951
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
got my chinee "1800 Lumen Cree XM-L T6" headlamp today. the one thats a clone of the MagicShine MJ800 or whatever. holy CRAP its bright. probably 700 lumens, not 1800, but still. thats just a wild guess, but its nearly as bright as a motorcycle low beam, but somewhat more concentrated into a spot beam.

I'll get around to setting up and taking a couple test pictures down a dark road with fixed exposures to compare it with a NR '130 lumen' and a planetbike something, and maybe even my car's lowbeams :)

but probably not tonight.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #25952
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 1,000
Luv my Magicshines. This time of year my commute is in the dark both ways. The matching rear blinkies are bright as hell also. Get the "y" wire and a rear and your good to go. Got mine from Geomangear.com, but they went out of business over a battery recall.
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #25953
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Nice. :)

Go to the ride and above the upper right corner of the map is a drop-down labeled 'More'. Click that and click 'Embed on blog' and it'll give you the code you need to paste into the forum.

Got it. Thanks!
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #25954
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
got my chinee "1800 Lumen Cree XM-L T6" headlamp today. the one thats a clone of the MagicShine MJ800 or whatever. holy CRAP its bright. probably 700 lumens, not 1800, but still. thats just a wild guess, but its nearly as bright as a motorcycle low beam, but somewhat more concentrated into a spot beam.

I'll get around to setting up and taking a couple test pictures down a dark road with fixed exposures to compare it with a NR '130 lumen' and a planetbike something, and maybe even my car's lowbeams :)

but probably not tonight.
so I've been running it on high for an hour (battery test, its only been charged once so far)... wow, the LED on the back has changed from green (fully charged) to blue. rumor has it, it turns yellow at 30% charge, and red at 10%. I know the $80 Magicshine MJ808 does this, but previous reviews of these $33 noname lights said they didn't. also, my reflector DOES have the orange peel surface (gives more even lighting outside the central beam area), while other peoples reviews of these noname lights said they had a smooth polished reflector.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:14 AM   #25955
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,732
...and mine's not here yet.

Need it for tonite's ride.

M
Old 11-07-2012, 05:21 AM   #25956
somecallmetim
Surf &/or Die

Oddometer: 1,112
Ryan O'Dell, the NUE director/owner lives down the street from me...

I'm going to do the 100k at Mohican next year, I have lots of work to do, the furthest I've mtbiked in a day is about 30 miles, my longest race this year was only 12...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Getting a bit burned out of racing on the road, so I'm trying a new racing series next year. The National Ultra Endurance MTB series is one of those that will test every facet of my fitness both physically and mentally. All races are a minimum of 100 miles off road with a mix of single track, fire access roads and gravel roads. Most are set in the mountains and feature an extensive amount of elevation change. The first race in the series is the Cohutta 100. Approximately 17,000 feet of elevation in 100 miles of racing.

Training begins now...
Old 11-07-2012, 05:51 AM   #25957
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim View Post
Ryan O'Dell, the NUE director/owner lives down the street from me...

I'm going to do the 100k at Mohican next year, I have lots of work to do, the furthest I've mtbiked in a day is about 30 miles, my longest race this year was only 12...
Cool, I'll find you there. Mohican is on my to-do list of the NUE races next year.
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:30 AM   #25958
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim View Post
Quote:
Cool, I'll find you there. Mohican is on my to-do list of the NUE races next year.
You guys are just sick!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #25959
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
You guys are just sick!

Come to the Dark side Ducnut... we have cookies!
Old 11-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #25960
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,172
Quote:
Come to the Dark side Ducnut... we have cookies!

I wouldn't want to hold ya' up!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #25961
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,824
Went riding with my new light last night. As the above comments say, this thing is bright! I only had one light, and attached it to my helmet, but I had very little trouble seeing the trail. I did get the actual MagicShine MJ-808E instead of one of the others, and it has the orange-peel reflector. Very bright spot beam, and then very even "scatter" light all around the spot.

I rode for about 30 minutes, then used it for another 10 minutes or so loading everything back into the car. The indicator light on the back of the light was still in the "green" zone. I believe that means 100%-60% charge. Blue would be 60%-30%, then yellow down to 10%, then red until it dies. My local trail takes me about 45 minutes in full daylight, so since I am a little slower at night I still don't think I would drain the battery past one-half. Documentation says the light should last 3 hours at full charge, I would guess that is accurate based on my first use.

Oh, I did see several deer and racoons in the woods. Their eyes really light up when the LED light hits them
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #25962
pierce
Aven'Tourer

on its first charge test, I only got about 1:45 on high. the light flashed twice, and I noted the tailcap LED had gone red, so I shut it off and recharged it. I'm doing a 2nd test now, its been on about 45 mins and is still green.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #25963
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
on its first charge test, I only got about 1:45 on high. the light flashed twice, and I noted the tailcap LED had gone red, so I shut it off and recharged it. I'm doing a 2nd test now, its been on about 45 mins and is still green.
If it doesn't have some sort of thermal protection feature, use caution when running the light at full power while stationary. It can get hot enough to damage the internal circuitry.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #25964
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
If it doesn't have some sort of thermal protection feature, use caution when running the light at full power while stationary. It can get hot enough to damage the internal circuitry.
the whole housing is aluminum with heatsink fins... it gets hot enough that its uncomfortable to hold but not burning hot, I'd estimate 120F or so, which is usually within the safe range for power semiconductors.

I probably /should/ rig up a small fan to cool it while I'm doing these tests. its 67F or so in my living room, and I have it out in the open on top of a small wooden box, so there's plenty of convection airflow around it.

my 2nd test gave warning flashes at 1:45, and the LED had gone red, so I shut it down and plugged it back in. I never did see a yellow phase, just green -> blue at about 55 mins, then red and blink-blink in about another 45 mins.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #25965
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

yeah, heat sink fins work much better when they have active airflow across them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: