User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 142 votes, 4.77 average. Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #26071
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,361
Ducnut, That is sad news. Sorry for your loss. Be careful out there, people...
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #26072
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,062
Wow, I so sorry to hear of this. He didn't let age slow him down. My condolences to the family.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #26073
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,378
Anybody need Yakima Tower parts?

The clamp parts fit a Saturn, but bases are all the same.

Free, just cover the shipping.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #26074
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Thank you, for your thoughts, everyone.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #26075
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Thank you, for your thoughts, everyone.
That just sucks for everyone involved. Our hearts go out to them all.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:50 AM   #26076
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,067
wow that is shitty news Ducnut.

Seems like a great guy has been lost.

this I don't get:

Cohen was cited for improper lane usage, state police said. No additional charges are expected.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:50 AM   #26077
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
and the murderer gets cited for 'improper lane use' ?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
It's unbelievable that the driver was cited only for an improper lane change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
this I don't get:

Cohen was cited for improper lane usage, state police said. No additional charges are expected.
Grover was killed, just west of Auburn, IL. I was hit, in my pickup, a few days before, just east of Auburn, IL, on the same highway. I was following a van that signalled a right turn. They initiated a right turn, but, decided to flip a u-turn across the highway, in front of traffic. I took evasive action and swerved to the left shoulder, where they hit me in the door. I got the ticket for "failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident" (I was doing 35mph-slowed behind them). The trooper stated that he had to ticket me or he'd get in trouble. He'd made several statements that he opposed ticketing me. Now, I have to go to court and fight the ticket, to which the trooper said he wouldn't appear. Thankfully, my insurance company is behind me, as I have pictures of the scene that show my tracks on the shoulder and the other driver stating what he did. F*ck the Illinois State Police!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #26078
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,378
I am so sorry to read this.
Grover sounds like a person we'd all be better for having known. And lucky to have as a friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
My cycling friend was killed, Thursday. He was a great man. Hard to believe.

Ironically, my GF and I were hit, Sunday, in my pickup, just the other side of the town where Grover was hit.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #26079
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,413
On a happier note: someone's got a new (to her) bicycle.

I'll let her post pics when she gets home.

M
Old 11-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #26080
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
I took my time this afternoon, and managed to ride 25 miles, a post-broken foot record for me.

midway I had to shoot a snap of my bike. not used to this P&S cam (I usually use a DSLR but it was a bit much to carry) so I had to do some doctoring to get this rather backlit photo to come out at all well, excuse my photochoppery...

700x35 sorta-slicks do just fine on dirt trails as long as its not too steep or sloppy. I think far too many casual riders buy into big fancy suspended mountain bikes when they would be better off with something more road worthy and still be able to ride occasional trails...

Old 11-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #26081
HappyRiding
Wandering Moran

Oddometer: 2,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
On a happier note: someone's got a new (to her) bicycle.

I'll let her post pics when she gets home.

M
Home after after an 800 mile and 19 hour quest for #5 in the Happy Bike Stable. The bike will have to stay in the car a few more hours. I'm going to bed.

Nice to meet Gummee!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #26082
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,826
Thumbs down Horrible Hundred crash yesterday

Yesterday's group ride led us to the top of Sugarloaf hill just in time to watch a stream of riders participating in the Horrible Hundred, coming around the turn at the top of the hill. I was amazed at how fast these guys were moving after a grueling climb up Sugarloaf, when suddenly we saw a riderless bicycle go cartwheeling through the group. It's rider had managed to crawl off the pavement before being run over, but he was in a very bad state. A number of people were gathered around him trying to determine his condition, but he just lay there writhing in pain. We suspected he'd broken some bones, but none of us had any medical training, so we didn't dare touch him for fear of doing more harm than good. Another rider said someone was on the way to take him to the hospital, so we waited there until help arrived. Parts of his bike were strewn all over the place, so we gathered them up and loaded everything into the truck that came to take him to the nearest ER. Two of my friends were on that ride, so I'll be calling them later to see if they know anything about the rider's condition.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #26083
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 322
OmoForest MTB Race

Went for the MTB race I posted about earlier.

OmoForest is a protected reserve and some elephant conservation work is going on side by side with intense logging. Good thing is that past some point, the terrain is too difficult for logging trucks to access or even to get the logs out.

Location is 170km from Lagos so we left 0615. Arrived ok and were allocated accommodation, mattress on the floor type stuff. No problems. Had my tent plus full cooking stuff and a huge cooler of drinks and water.

Ok, briefing...basically , sign off that you are on your own. Trails are not accesible by 4 Wheel vehicles, repairs and stuff are riders issue etc.

47km. Some chap said they did it in 6hrs last April. 6 hours?

Last April winner gave a talk on safety and showed off his nice shoulder scar (broke his shoulder when he endoed into a mud hole filled with rocks)

Off we went.
At 3km, my heart rate was in Zone 5.X, I had to walk the part of the climb. Looking back, found a gaggle of riders already got the right idea.

Course was basically a roller type route, ascend/descend, mud holes, ruts, nice rocks, and when it looks clear, means you have shiny sweaty rocks. Mudholes across the trail daring you to speed across.

Flipped when I tried changing from a dead end rut, another flip crossing a deepish stream that had a nice log at the exit.

Just 10km so far. Two cutoff points, 16km and 25km.

Using wrong pedals, and could not clip in left foot from all the mud or unclip right foot! And I have the 'non platform' SPD pedals but did not put them on bike

Sucks to pedal SPD when not clipped in.

Made first cutoff...yippeee
How bad can it be? Second cutoff only 10km away.

That was bad

From 20 starters, we now down to 8

Then 7 by second checkpoint

Turn around. Should be easy riding back since trail is known right? No.

Romanian chap gave up when he saw the waiting trucks at KM38, refused to take electrolytes or energy gels, said water was ok, cramped legs tell me otherwise.

Crawled back, ran out of water by KM 38, managed till we got water ahead.

Made it back

20 started, 6 completed

So much mud! A couple of gashes and one broken ankle this time from across the participants. Not bad

Next race is April 2013, need to start cross training, walking the bike was much much tougher than I thought such a 'simple' thing could be.

Who knows about CrankBrothers eggbeaters? Go for plain EggBeaters 3 or Candy? Advice please.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1020946...oForestNov2012
Old 11-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #26084
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post

Made it back

20 started, 6 completed

So much mud! A couple of gashes and one broken ankle this time from across the participants. Not bad

Next race is April 2013, need to start cross training, walking the bike was much much tougher than I thought such a 'simple' thing could be.

Who knows about CrankBrothers eggbeaters? Go for plain EggBeaters 3 or Candy? Advice please.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1020946...oForestNov2012
That's a bad-ass ride!

Congrats on finishing. I saw a helmet-mounted GoPro. When do we get to see that footage?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #26085
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Yesterday's group ride led us to the top of Sugarloaf hill just in time to watch a stream of riders participating in the Horrible Hundred, coming around the turn at the top of the hill. I was amazed at how fast these guys were moving after a grueling climb up Sugarloaf, when suddenly we saw a riderless bicycle go cartwheeling through the group. It's rider had managed to crawl off the pavement before being run over, but he was in a very bad state. A number of people were gathered around him trying to determine his condition, but he just lay there writhing in pain. We suspected he'd broken some bones, but none of us had any medical training, so we didn't dare touch him for fear of doing more harm than good. Another rider said someone was on the way to take him to the hospital, so we waited there until help arrived. Parts of his bike were strewn all over the place, so we gathered them up and loaded everything into the truck that came to take him to the nearest ER. Two of my friends were on that ride, so I'll be calling them later to see if they know anything about the rider's condition.
Yikes. Get thee to a first aid course or three. It's a crappy feeling to stand around now knowing what to do when someone else is hurting.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: