Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #26161
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
He's right. You don't want to confine yourself to working in one spot/position. Spend that bit extra and you'll have a nice stand that can be used anywhere.

If you're feeling real giddy, the best of the bunch.
The nice thing about the Pro Elite is the jaws will open up far enough to get a upside down fork leg (motorcycle) into it for servicing. A VERY nice feature that few stands have.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #26162
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
those folding race stands just don't look sturdy enough to hold heavier 'family' kind of bikes. I'm mostly tinkering on my 30 lb hybrid and my wife's who-knows-how-heavy 'comfort bike', but also on my old steel frame cruiser, an older suspension mountain bike, etc etc.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #26163
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
those folding race stands just don't look sturdy enough to hold heavier 'family' kind of bikes. I'm mostly tinkering on my 30 lb hybrid and my wife's who-knows-how-heavy 'comfort bike', but also on my old steel frame cruiser, an older suspension mountain bike, etc etc.
They're fine. Take a trip to a Performance shop and try one. You'll be surprised

M
Old 11-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #26164
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
They're fine. Take a trip to a Performance shop and try one. You'll be surprised

M
no Performance shop anywhere near here that I'm aware of. we have a bazillion LBS's.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #26165
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I rode with flats for the first time in months. It was horrible. I had to keep readjusting my foot placement, and I couldn't generate anywhere near the power I had with clipless pedals. It made the bike feel 30 lbs heavier! Once you get used to clipless, there's no going back.

Not for everybody. I rode clipless for 10 years or so before buying a new bike. Instead of immediately taking off the cheapo platforms, I rode them for a bit and discovered I liked them better. I'm using Wellgo MG1 platforms now and LOVE 'em...gonna put 'em on all the bikes eventually.

I'd totally go back to clipless if I ever started riding street or found myself in the flatland again, but kinda like the platforms for MTB.

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #26166
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
no Performance shop anywhere near here that I'm aware of.
It's not quite close to SC, but there's one in Mountain View.

I've got the Pro Elite (IIRC) and have found it fine for my 30+ lb full suspension bike, though I do have to open the tripod legs to full width and be a little careful about where I position the bike relative to the feet.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #26167
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
They'll hold a DH bike, which is 40+lbs.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #26168
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
Mine holds my tandem. It has to go 40lbs....
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #26169
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 48,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
It's not quite close to SC, but there's one in Mountain View.

I've got the Pro Elite (IIRC) and have found it fine for my 30+ lb full suspension bike, though I do have to open the tripod legs to full width and be a little careful about where I position the bike relative to the feet.
They'll ship those bike stands to the Performance store nearest to your location for free too.
(Or so the wife tells me )

I'm not sure if the shipping size allows us to pick them up on motorcycles?

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #26170
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post
They'll ship those bike stands to the Performance store nearest to your location for free too.
(Or so the wife tells me )

I'm not sure if the shipping size allows us to pick them up on motorcycles?
Yes, easily.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #26171
pierce
Aven'Tourer

well, I ordered the park wall mount.. I might just end up putting it on a 4x4 post, or maybe even a steel pipe if I ever find I want to move around.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #26172
BmoreBandit
Gnarly something..

Oddometer: 478
I stopped by Performance and looked at that stand just today. It looks good and sturdy. Performace sure has stuff priced as good as a retail outfit can afford to. Picked up couple of tubes (back to those) and a pump for cheap.
I have a wall mount bike stands and they work but not for serious wrenching. I am pretty sure I'd find all sorts of moto and other uses for one of those bike stands!

Gumm, I hear Fountainhead had lots of new suff recently built and would be worth the check out trip down. Did you ever get out there? Also, when is that MoCo Epic 50...isn't that coming up soon down close to NOVA?

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
BmoreBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:55 AM   #26173
Hueychief
FNG

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
I've owned the Park Bicycle stand shown here and have never had a problem with it as it's good for 100lbs. Park Bike Tools are the best in the industry, IMHO.
http://www.parktool.com/product/delu...-stand-pcs-4-1
Old 11-27-2012, 05:07 AM   #26174
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Question Peloton

Does riding in a peloton allow you to go faster than you could if you were riding alone? If so, how much faster?

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:38 AM   #26175
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Does riding in a peloton allow you to go faster than you could if you were riding alone? If so, how much faster?

\
Yes. Drafting gains about 10+x% but you need to be fit and at similar levels to gain from this

For me at my current level of riding, better gains from being forced to ride above my 'riding alone' threshold
Going that extra distance because others are doing it.
Seeing the guy on a supermarket bike ahead of you on your carbon fibre, ultra light, current model is sometimes worth xxx Watts over a considerable distance

Peleton higher speeds and paceline efficiencies are key reasons why breakaways are caught so well in major tours.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: