User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 237 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #26206
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,689
Does anyone sell a heart rate monitor that records over a longish period of time?

I'd love to overlay a heart rate chart over a Google maps route.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #26207
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
I only look at it when I stop for water.
You stop for water? Houston, we have a problem.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #26208
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post
Does anyone sell a heart rate monitor that records over a longish period of time?

I'd love to overlay a heart rate chart over a Google maps route.
I use a Garmin Edge 500 and download all of my data from it to the garmin site. That includes power, cadence, HR, speed, temp, etc. You can select two data sets and display them on connect.garmin.com as such:

k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #26209
Stinez

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I use a Garmin Edge 500 and download all of my data from it to the garmin site. That includes power, cadence, HR, speed, temp, etc. You can select two data sets and display them on connect.garmin.com as such:

I'm not sure that I want to make that kind of financial commitment.

I do like the looks of some of the less costly options but I'm not sure I actually need one for what I do.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #26210
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:

I do like the looks of some of the less costly options but I'm not sure I actually need one for what I do.
I'm sure there are low cost HRM that will allow you to download the data but without a GPS, you won't be able to overlay the data on a Garmin map - you'd be missing the time/distance/position data. The Garmin does that very nicely, it's power-efficient and is reasonably weatherproof.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #26211
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,427
+1 on the Garmin Edge 500. Definitely a good way to track your miles/progress throughout the year. I got the bundle with the cadence/speed and HRM, but haven't used the HRM yet. It provides a lot of useful data.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #26212
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,819
Yeah, I use a Garmin watch with HRM. Kinda pricey, but like said, the only way to accurately overlay a GPS track with HR. Also, mine is good for about 7 hours of tracking. Found that out on a MTB ride this past summer I should not have been on

The first time I used mine on the bike, I was amazed that after about an hour of riding my average HR was 143. Sounds good, but based on my age it should have been in the mid-150s. Still a good workout, but the slightly higher heart rate is better at burning calories. Too high and you start burning protein, so that is why you want to monitor and keep it in a range.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #26213
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,666
Quote:

Do you have an iPhone? There are ANT+ compatible adapters that will let you add a HRM and it will track during your ride with various apps.

Adapter for iPhone

There are a few ANT+ Android phones, but not many and there are no adapters at this time.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #26214
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Do you have an iPhone? There are ANT+ compatible adapters that will let you add a HRM and it will track during your ride with various apps.

Adapter for iPhone

There are a few ANT+ Android phones, but not many and there are no adapters at this time.
Any experience with these apps, the add-on device and battery life?
Old 11-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #26215
Stinez

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post

Adapter for iPhone

I have an android and just downloaded the instant heart rate app.

I'll play with it before going any further into the heart rate monitor direction.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #26216
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
I'll take a stab at it. I think the reason that you're getting resistance is because you asserted -

When perhaps a better way to say it would be 'Constantly chasing higher & higher average speeds isn't the best way to train for the type of racing I do'. Chasing averages is perfectly fine - it's just not the best for a given application. I get good results from using averages - I have a large amount of data over an 18 mile course that I have worked for almost a year now. Given enough sampling data, I can eliminate variables such as stoplights*, headwinds, etc, and narrow down the variables to things I can control. Works for me.
Its that too, but its still a bad way to train.

Quote:
For the races I run and the level I'm at, this gives me results that don't require thousands of dollars in equipment or require me to coordinate with someone else's schedule.
That's because you're a TT/Tri guy. Average speed is where its at for y'all. Max steady state riding = good for you. You don't need to worry about anything else. Best way to screw up a triathlete? Vary the pace a bunch. Especially make em chase you down.

I rode with a pro triathlete once. Sonofagun could hold right at XXmph (I don't remember how fast, but it hurt!) for hours. Uphill, downhill didn't matter. He didn't have anything else except that one speed. It was a heckova speed, but that was his one trick.

Quote:
Likewise, for a given training environment, Strava is perfectly fine.
I liken Strava to loud pipes on cuisers. 'hey lookit ME!! I got a KOM!' The only positive I see out of it is if you use Strava as a benchmark to hit on specific training days for specific reasons. Otherwise, if you wanna race, race.

Quote:
Every time we have this fight, it's because one group touts its racing & training methodology over another - when it's comparing apples to oranges. We train to perform in different circumstances. This makes different methods useless for comparison.
See above about TT/tri guys and their riding. What works for y'all won't work for anyone racing anything else except maybe mtn biking and to a lesser extent cross.

Quote:
* - If Gummee & I ever did ride together, his head would explode in 5 seconds. Because following the 'rules' in Baltimore will, absolutely will, get you killed. Besides - everybody knows tri-dorks have no manners.
Doubt my head'll explode. I can and have ridden in the city. Its a different skill set than riding out here in the cowfields. ...and yeah, triathletes typically are NOT cyclists. Keep those aero bars away from me! I've ridden with Emilio DeSoto and some of his friends too. I was expecting a bunch of out of control wankers but what I found were a group of decent cyclists that knew 'the rules.' So it ain't all of em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7
Second best option would be the author that Gummee noted, Joe Friel and his book. I assume he meant The Power Meter Handbook. You can read an sample from it here.

Another resource is Training and Racing with a Power Meter.
I'm talking about the 'generic' training book: the Cyclist's Training Bible. I actually don't have a power meter other than the one on my Cateye Psychostimulator. ...and I can't see that AND the time at the same time right now. Gotta download the manual and see if I can't change some data fields around.

M
Old 11-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #26217
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 966
Quote:
I've got an HRM strap and ANT iPhone widget from Wahoo. It works well. I actually use it with RunKeeper, rather than the Wahoo app. I don't recall noticing a big impact on battery life.

In practice, though, I almost never remember to actually use the thing.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #26218
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,666
Quote:
Nope. I had an iPhone and used MapMyRide for a couple years then dumped ATT asap and switched to Android and Strava, which really doesn't do ANT except on a few phones. About the time I went from casual metric century rider to "I'd like to be able to keep up with my fast friends," I picked up a Garmin Edge 500 and that was my first HRM experience. The Garmin will run for a couple of loooong rides before it needs a charge and the sensor batteries seem to last as long as any other cyclometer sensors.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:30 AM   #26219
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I liken Strava to loud pipes on cuisers. 'hey lookit ME!! I got a KOM!' The only positive I see out of it is if you use Strava as a benchmark to hit on specific training days for specific reasons. Otherwise, if you wanna race, race.
Your head remains firmly buried in the sand on this point, Gummee. Your comparison to loud pipes couldn't be further off the mark. Loud pipes do nothing but harm your hearing. Strava allows riders of all levels to track their performance and assess their abilities. It allows you to monitor your heart rate, the energy you've expended in watts, and the total calories burned. It also shows you the areas where your performance is strong and where it's weak. By comparing my times on certain segments to those of other riders, I can see that I'm very strong when it comes to outright speed of flat grades. I'm in the middle of the pack on climbs and on technical trails, so these are the areas I need to devote more time to. I wouldn't be aware of any of this if it weren't for Strava. As for the allure of setting personal records, what exactly is wrong with that? Setting goals is what drives people to improve their abilities and achieve things they never would have thought possible at the outset. Why you continue to insist that only certain goals (i.e. race results) are legitimate is beyond me. The very fact that you need to make non-sensical comparisons to loud pipes shows that your opposition to Strava is devoid of any rational justification.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #26220
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,167
The local pro triathlete. He does annual clinics, at the LBS. But, no longer competes at our local TT.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: