User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 315 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #26266
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,852
Due to holidays and life in general, I have not ridden in about 2 weeks.

I am going to try my best to get away from work with enough time to ride today....
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #26267
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Due to holidays and life in general, I have not ridden in about 2 weeks.

I am going to try my best to get away from work with enough time to ride today....
Me too. Damn cold here too...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #26268
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Everything these days is designed and load tested by computer, using sophisticated software like Pro-E, Solidworks, Catia, etc. So I don't see why a small company would be turning out better engineered products than industry giants like Trek. Especially since the big companies have a lot more resources to enlist during development and testing.
It costs them money to get it perfect. They weigh this against how many will actually break. If getting it "right" is cost prohibitive, they release a flawed product. Small companies can not afford to do that.....

It is the corporate way, always has been.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #26269
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
That's even stranger, because the top tube has to cope with compression forces coming from both ends, so the last thing an engineer would want is to flatten its cross-section, which would only make it that much more susceptible to buckling.
The toptube is dealing with compression and lateral twisting. Flattening it would make it more resistant to twist. In order to buckle it, one would have to overcome the joints and downtube. I'd be more apt to blame some other failure, before the shape of the toptube. Keep in mind, flattened toptubes are most commonly found on road and 'cross bikes.

Quote:
I sometimes ride with a bike shop owner who happens to be the Niner dealer in my area, and I've seen just that kind of top tube failure on his CF bike. That one was a Scott HT though. He now rides a FS Niner. On his last ride, the CF seat post broke in two.
Scott is known for pushing the limits of lightness. I'd never consider their MTBs.

As for the seatpost, Niner is pushing the limits of flex in their seatpost design. Obviously, they've went a bit far and will warranty failures. You may find this video interesting, too.

I've met that shop owner. He's a good dude.

Quote:
Everything these days is designed and load tested by computer, using sophisticated software like Pro-E, Solidworks, Catia, etc. So I don't see why a small company would be turning out better engineered products than industry giants like Trek. Especially since the big companies have a lot more resources to enlist during development and testing.
Because of numbers. The big companies can have far more failures, before they care. The smaller companies are making a name for themselves and realize they can only do that with their reputation.

Research: Intense, Santa Cruz, Banshee, Foes, Norco, Rocky Mountain, Nukeproof, and there are a bunch more. These are all smaller companies that many on the trail have never heard of, yet, they build stuff that'll compete with the Treks/Cannondales/Specializeds of the world.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #26270
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,062
Quote:

Somebody should make up some large Smartphone Dork Racing League Champion stickers for the back of your cage so that others know who they're dealing with when you park at the greenway or trailhead. Let's not stop there with a half assed effort. Inmate Hayduke could screen print some Tshirts with "You just got passed by Aurelius Dick Waver Extraordinaire" on the back.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #26271
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,907
Hmm. Just sayin' some folks might need one of these two:

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #26272
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
Well the nice UPS man just delivered my new bicycle work stand. But since I only paid $50 for it, I won't be telling any of you snobs what it is.
I think I prefer the term "Elitist".

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #26273
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Me too. Damn cold here too...
You guys don't even KNOW what cold is! Last weekend I went riding in 69F. I swear there were ice crystals forming on my skin only minutes into the ride. I was lucky to have made it back alive.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #26274
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 48,351
Does anyone else use phone tracking and Google maps to track their routes?

I/we do it every now and then because it's always fun to see how much climbing was done, speed, grade, moving time, etc.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #26275
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Somebody should make up some large Smartphone Dork Racing League Champion stickers for the back of your cage so that others know who they're dealing with when you park at the greenway or trailhead. Let's not stop there with a half assed effort. Inmate Hayduke could screen print some Tshirts with "You just got passed by Aurelius Dick Waver Extraordinaire" on the back.

Love IT
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 11-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #26276
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
The toptube is dealing with compression and lateral twisting. Flattening it would make it more resistant to twist.
No, you've got things exactly reversed. Flattening the top tube would make it LESS resistant to torsional loads. See 2.4: 'Selection of Shapes for Torsional Loading'

https://engineering.purdue.edu/~ahva...sion_Guide.pdf

Quote:
Because of numbers. The big companies can have far more failures, before they care. The smaller companies are making a name for themselves and realize they can only do that with their reputation.

Research: Intense, Santa Cruz, Banshee, Foes, Norco, Rocky Mountain, Nukeproof, and there are a bunch more. These are all smaller companies that many on the trail have never heard of, yet, they build stuff that'll compete with the Treks/Cannondales/Specializeds of the world.
I don't doubt that smaller companies can build products of equal quality, but because the 'formula' for designing the most efficient frames has been so thoroughly explored and refined, and because so much of the design and testing is done using the same software, one manufacturer shouldn't end up with markedly different results than another.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #26277
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Inmate Hayduke could screen print some Tshirts with "You just got passed by Aurelius Dick Waver Extraordinaire" on the back.

I like the concept, but no one will have time to read it. A more elegant solution might be to issue KOM 'crown' patches that riders could sew onto their t-shirts. That way, if I see someone approaching me with fifty yellow patches on his shirt, I'll know it's Donnie Harries and get the hell out of his way.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #26278
mud
I just wander.....

Quote:
I don't doubt that smaller companies can build products of equal quality, but because the 'formula' for designing the most efficient frames has been so thoroughly explored and refined, and because so much of the design and testing is done using the same software, one manufacturer shouldn't end up with markedly different results than another.
They are still learning with carbon. They (big companies) are constantly trying to cut cost as well, which tends to fuck things up with carbon....

Keep in mind most carbon frames are not actually made by the company that puts the stickers on. There are only a few manufactures making most of the frames.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #26279
mud
I just wander.....

Here is a little inspiration to work on something besides lap times....

White Balance on Pinkbike

Old 11-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #26280
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
You guys don't even KNOW what cold is! Last weekend I went riding in 69F. I swear there were ice crystals forming on my skin only minutes into the ride. I was lucky to have made it back alive.
Wasn't too bad (but I really do need some better gear) and a cold ride in New England is still better than any ride in Florida
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: