User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #26311
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,363
I got out today on the Fat Chance, for 2 1/2 hours. It was kind of warm, in the high 40's. There was a group of horse nuts having an equestrian event, and they had a table set up with food. Offered us some hot soup after we returned. It was a nice way to end the ride.
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #26312
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,831
Trail wars

We've been having some trouble at our local trail with riders who refuse to obey the one-signs. There have been several crashes and near crashes in just the last two weeks. On Saturday my buddy Dave was out there when someone came rocketing around a blind turn, going the wrong way. Apparently this was someone who had been warned about it several times. Dave gave the guy a stern talking to , but things got out of hand, and by the time I arrived, the other guy was lying in a crumpled heap on the ground. We decided it might be best to do our Strava runs another day.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #26313
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,421
Lap of today's race

http://vimeo.com/54553281

The run-up after the dam kicked my rear end. The downhill on the other side did too, but for a different reason. Can you say 'washboard in a chute?'

Got a half decent start. IOW I didn't lose as many spots as I did last time at the very start. I DID lose some in the first few sets of turns and the first time up the first hill. I kept picking people off in onesies and twosies. I was a few hundred meters behind my buddy C coming out of the end of the gravel section. Managed to get within 30-40m. If I'da had another lap, I bet I coulda picked him off. I seem to get better as the race goes on. Means I need to do something about my warmups. Come in hotter and stay that way as opposed to what I've been doing. Guess I need to actually start bringing (and using) my folding trainer. I think I'm gonna ride out the last 2 races of the season 'as is' and break out the trainer for next year.

I'm getting faster. I'm not back where I was when I was in Sandy Eggo, but its coming back. Next fall *should* see me doing better. Next fall may also see me in the Master's 45+ but It may be a case of 'get my rear end handed to me in the afternoon' or 'hand someone their rear end midday.' We'll see.

There's a 'mandatory upgrade' coming. Do 10 Cat 4 races and get upgraded to a Cat 3. I'm not sure how I feel about that. The up side to me upgrading to a 3 is I could potentially race with my teammates and *try* to help them out. Again, we'll see. I train enough to be a good 4, and OK 3, or a piss-poor 1/2

M

Grainbelt screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 08:47 PM Reason: Autoplay is, and has always been, verboten.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #26314
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,835
Activities other than visiting are permitted after 4 P.M., just don't get out of hand.

A singletrack shortcut

North America

Old 12-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #26315
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Lap of today's race

< iframe src="http://player.vim...

ARRRRGH, no auto-play videos on forums, PLEASE. that announcers voice came across my speakers LOUD, every time I load this page.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #26316
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,831
Performance comparison

I the opportunity this weekend to test ride a Scott 18 lb 29er HT belonging to a local dealer, and compare it to my 26 lb 29er FS on the same trail. I was most intrigued by what the Stans Ztr Crest 29er wheels would do for me, as I'd considered them as a potential upgrade. The FS 29er belonged to the owner of a local shop. We did at one time compare the difference in weight between my stock rims and the Crests. I was a little disappointed to find that the Stans only weighed about 1/2 lb less per wheel on his electronic scale, which I didn't think would translate into a noticeable performance improvement -- or at least not enough of one to justify the purchase price. But the unanimous opinion of everyone I asked, including those in this thread, was that they would.

So after I'd done one loop around the trail on my bike, I climbed aboard the HT and did the same. It's owner and I are almost exactly the same size and weight, so his setup worked perfectly for me. My impressions are as follows:

The HT weighed 6 lbs less on the scale than my Trek Superfly 100 Pro, but that considerable difference wasn't evident once I got the bike rolling. The climbs weren't noticeably easier on the HT as I'd expected they would be, and I wasn't any less fatigued after completing one loop than I was on my bike. That could be attributed to the fact that I had to remain off the seat for much longer. The amount of shock transmitted to my spine thanks to the lack of a rear shock was awful, and made standing on the pedals mandatory on any rough parts of the trail.

What did really impress me was how quickly the HT turned. It was effortless, almost to the point where I had to expend more effort to keep the front wheel straight than to initiate turns. When I mentioned this, all the other riders attributed that to the lighter Stans wheels (both bikes were equipped with the identical tubeless tires). When the shop owner offered to let me borrow the Stans wheels for my trip to Santos on Saturday, I eagerly accepted.

My usual riding partner Dave, came with me. Dave is a former BMX racer and has many more years of experience riding mountain bikes than I do. On previous rides, I could never outpace him, even on fast straights where rider skill wasn't a factor. For our test run, I picked 'Twister', which is a very fast trail, and one of the longest ones at Santos. I'd noticed that all the fast riders from my area were higher than me on the Strava leaderboard on Twister, so I wanted to correct that error. I started off cautiously, but after a few minutes I was really into it. The bike was doing an amazing job with those Stans wheels on it. Accelerating and turning felt just as easy as it had on the much lighter HT, but the front end was much more stable, so I just kept increasing my speed until I reached the limits of my comfort zone. I fully expected Dave to be right behind me, but on one long 180 degree turn, I saw that he was trailing me by about 50 yards. I pressed even harder at that point and managed to increase my lead on the easier sections. I kept glancing down at my GPS, trying to see how fast I was going, but had a hard time reading the numbers. Unfortunately I focussed on the GPS a bit too long at one point, and wound up running right off the trail into deep sand. That mistake allowed Dave to close the distance a bit, and he maintained it all the way to the end. He was out of breath though, which I've never seen before. Neither of us had timed the run, so I had no idea whether my impressions would be certified by Strava's record until I uploaded the data. Yep, I not only beat the times of all the local fast guys, but did so by a considerable margin. Needless to say, those Stans wheels are staying on my bike.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #26317
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

1:35 in the spring-like weather we're having in the DC area. It has to be darn near 70deg right now. Tossing the training plan out the winder for a few days and soaking up the rays. Wore a 'thick-ish' base layer, jersey, shorts, and some arm warmers and was overdressed.

Tomorrow I'm headed to Bull Run Mtn. Ride some dirt, then ride home. I'm debating between riding from home or driving to Haymarket

M
Old 12-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #26318
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
so I got my park tools 'wall stand' and lag bolted it to the telephone pole thats right next to my outdoor workbench. freekin awesome.

http://www.parktool.com/product/prof...stand-prs-4w-2

that clamp rocks. and when I remove the bike clamp assembly from the base, the lock lever lifts out of the base too, so I don't need to leave that outdoors, just the black panted base piece. this new style clamp is really easy to use, too, will hold odd shaped and large diameter tubes easily. totally overkill for my back-og-the-shed bike wrenching :)
Old 12-04-2012, 03:09 AM   #26319
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,067
A word about Competitve Cyclist. I ordered some gear from them-- some shorts, some socks, you know. I also ordered a mat to go under the bike/rollers and a sweat catcher along with a headwind unit for my Kreitlers. Well, for some reason Comp. Cyclist split my order up in to 5 shipments. 3 showed up Thursday-- the more expensive items-- and 2 more boxes scheduled for Friday. Friday came and I received an email notice that my packages were delivered at 4:10 PM and left on the porch, just like the others were. Wait a minute, I was home at 4:10 PM. No packages. I circumambulated the house and then called UPS. They told me to call Comp. Cyclist. Comp. Cyclist told me they would send out a replacement shipment Monday. And they did, Monday morning it was already on its way. Guess what showed up on my porch this afternoon? The 'supposedly' delivered packages from Friday. I think someone from UPS was monkeying around.

In any case, UPS wasn't great, but Competitve Cyclist was great.

PS I have spent more than 700 USD at my (tiny) LBS this year. Porbably would have bought a new machine from them if there best brand wasn't Felt.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:38 AM   #26320
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
PS I have spent more than 700 USD at my (tiny) LBS this year. Porbably would have bought a new machine from them if there best brand wasn't Felt.
I don't own a Felt, but, what's wrong with 'em?
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #26321
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

As it gets to 70-ish again here today

M
Old 12-04-2012, 05:58 AM   #26322
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
A word about Competitve Cyclist. I ordered some gear from them-- some shorts, some socks, you know. I also ordered a mat to go under the bike/rollers and a sweat catcher along with a headwind unit for my Kreitlers. Well, for some reason Comp. Cyclist split my order up in to 5 shipments. 3 showed up Thursday-- the more expensive items-- and 2 more boxes scheduled for Friday. Friday came and I received an email notice that my packages were delivered at 4:10 PM and left on the porch, just like the others were. Wait a minute, I was home at 4:10 PM. No packages. I circumambulated the house and then called UPS. They told me to call Comp. Cyclist. Comp. Cyclist told me they would send out a replacement shipment Monday. And they did, Monday morning it was already on its way. Guess what showed up on my porch this afternoon? The 'supposedly' delivered packages from Friday. I think someone from UPS was monkeying around.

In any case, UPS wasn't great, but Competitve Cyclist was great.

I get that on occasion from UPS. My guess is that the driver is scanning the item as delivered to make his stats look better. What's the old saying, "You get what you measure'?
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:00 AM   #26323
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

As it gets to 70-ish again here today

M
Sounds like a nice winter day in Phoenix.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #26324
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
That's it. Rub it in

M
Old 12-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #26325
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,378
Found out a week ago I'm stationed here in the valley of the blue-hairs until April. I'm bringing a bike this weekend when I drive back. Maybe even lights. We'll see how much crap I can cram in the trunk of a new Maxima.
My back is semi-good. It hurt like hell over the weekend I spent flying to and from Iowa. Dancing all evening at the wedding reception didn't help, but the wine did mask the activity a bit.
I have enough room to keep my bike in the hotel suite, I just need to clean it up and gather my tools and gear. I'm going to be forced to begin looking at shoes too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: