Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #26326
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Found out a week ago I'm stationed here in the valley of the blue-hairs until April.
Why didn't you tell me you were in Florida? I would have baked you a cake.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #26327
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
That's it. Rub it in

M
Feel free to rub it in when we're at our 100th day of temps over 105F.

Tailwinds my friend!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #26328
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,378
Different blue-hairs here. These have ninja skilz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Why didn't you tell me you were in Florida? I would have baked you a cake.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #26329
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
We'll see how much crap I can cram in the trunk of a new Maxima.
Nice choice. You bought that because of all the TdF commercials, right?
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #26330
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Thanks for posting the video. That looks like loads of fun!! The bikes all seemed to have drop bars. Are those road bikes? Looks like a mountain bike might work well on that run.

Quote:
Lap of today's race

http://vimeo.com/54553281

The run-up after the dam kicked my rear end. The downhill on the other side did too, but for a different reason. Can you say 'washboard in a chute?'

Got a half decent start. IOW I didn't lose as many spots as I did last time at the very start. I DID lose some in the first few sets of turns and the first time up the first hill. I kept picking people off in onesies and twosies. I was a few hundred meters behind my buddy C coming out of the end of the gravel section. Managed to get within 30-40m. If I'da had another lap, I bet I coulda picked him off. I seem to get better as the race goes on. Means I need to do something about my warmups. Come in hotter and stay that way as opposed to what I've been doing. Guess I need to actually start bringing (and using) my folding trainer. I think I'm gonna ride out the last 2 races of the season 'as is' and break out the trainer for next year.

I'm getting faster. I'm not back where I was when I was in Sandy Eggo, but its coming back. Next fall *should* see me doing better. Next fall may also see me in the Master's 45+ but It may be a case of 'get my rear end handed to me in the afternoon' or 'hand someone their rear end midday.' We'll see.

There's a 'mandatory upgrade' coming. Do 10 Cat 4 races and get upgraded to a Cat 3. I'm not sure how I feel about that. The up side to me upgrading to a 3 is I could potentially race with my teammates and *try* to help them out. Again, we'll see. I train enough to be a good 4, and OK 3, or a piss-poor 1/2

M
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #26331
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
Thanks for posting the video. That looks like loads of fun!! The bikes all seemed to have drop bars. Are those road bikes? Looks like a mountain bike might work well on that run.
To get your feet wet, a mtn bike (without barends) works great. A 29er works even better. Typically the courses aren't rough enough to need suspension, so a road-ish bike with knobbies works fine.

I raced my first half a season on my mtn bike with the fork locked out.

If you search for 'cyclocross' on youtube, there'll be a LOT of fun videos.

Speaking of cross bikes, I just got from 3:40 on my Crosshairs. Over to Busthead Rd then up and over Bull Run Mtn road, then up and over Busthead (another section) to Waterfall. Instead of coming back the way I went out, I went up and over Waterfall to Antioch and back thru Haymarket. Total distance was the same, just one less big hill in the way.

Bull Run Mtn Rd was all kinds of gravelly. Last time I was there it was pretty smoothed out. This time? Not so much. Made for a MUCH slower descent!

Conversely, Busthead was smoother. ...which is good cause there's one pitch (appx 50m long) that's a steep SOB. Up till this time up, there was a really soft spot about halfway thru the steep pitch that really sucked the energy out of your legs.

Was out in shorts, light base layer, and a summer weight jersey. ...and I got to pay for all that fun with a headwind the whole way home.

Screw the training schedule! I'm taking advantage of the opportunity to work on my tan lines s'more!

M
Old 12-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #26332
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
cyclocross is an hour or 90 minute timed race around a short course loop with obstacles, you often have to do a lot of dismount and carry, he who does hte most laps wins. the pace is a mad sprint. beginner classes use hardtail mountain bikes, the expert classes use drop bar purpose-built cyclocross bikes. around here, its done in the winter, so its often raining and muddy.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #26333
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
cyclocross is an hour or 90 minute timed race around a short course loop with obstacles, you often have to do a lot of dismount and carry, he who does hte most laps wins. the pace is a mad sprint. beginner classes use hardtail mountain bikes, the expert classes use drop bar purpose-built cyclocross bikes. around here, its done in the winter, so its often raining and muddy.
Some fine-tuning: beginners are typically 30min long. Intermediates (everyone but the elite race) is typically 45min long. Elites = 60min.

...and just like a 'regular' race, the one that crosses the finish line at the end of the race is the winner. For example: one of the Elite Haymarket riders was on the front of the race for the entire hour Sun. Got pipped at the line by the guy that was sucking wheel 4th in line the whole race. Sucks to be the Haymarket guy, but he raced stupidly.

Cross is a fall/winter sport. Season starts in Sept and ends with the Worlds in Feb. Around these parts, the last race of the season is 16Dec. Can't wait! I need a break.

M
Old 12-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #26334
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Some fine-tuning: beginners are typically 30min long. Intermediates (everyone but the elite race) is typically 45min long. Elites = 60min.

...and just like a 'regular' race, the one that crosses the finish line at the end of the race is the winner. For example: one of the Elite Haymarket riders was on the front of the race for the entire hour Sun. Got pipped at the line by the guy that was sucking wheel 4th in line the whole race. Sucks to be the Haymarket guy, but he raced stupidly.

Cross is a fall/winter sport. Season starts in Sept and ends with the Worlds in Feb. Around these parts, the last race of the season is 16Dec. Can't wait! I need a break.

M
Don't they do time +1 lap???
Like hare scrambles?
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #26335
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,037
Quote:
This looks like it might be fun...to watch.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #26336
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Don't they do time +1 lap???
Like hare scrambles?
yeah.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #26337
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
yeah.
Not here they don't. Estimate how fast the laps are going and start counting down. The time is the time. The races are run on the hour, so no time to waste w 1 extra lap.

Gotta get folks off the course. Stage the next race, etc. That extra 6-10min would throw a wrench in the works.

Crits are another story.

M
Old 12-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #26338
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Not here they don't. Estimate how fast the laps are going and start counting down. The time is the time. The races are run on the hour, so no time to waste w 1 extra lap.

Gotta get folks off the course. Stage the next race, etc. That extra 6-10min would throw a wrench in the works.

Crits are another story.

M

don't they finish the lap they are on?
Old 12-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #26339
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
don't they finish the lap they are on?
yeah, but that's part of the countdown. Some races go a little long, but lots end on time or a min or two early.

Depends on the refs, the leaders' lap times, etc. I get my $ worth anyway

M
Old 12-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #26340
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
I get that on occasion from UPS. My guess is that the driver is scanning the item as delivered to make his stats look better. What's the old saying, "You get what you measure'?

My guess is that the package was scheduled for delivery on Friday and the driver scanned it Friday and then fucked off down the boozer and delivered it for real Monday.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: