Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 236 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #26341
volbeat22
n/a

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
to me, its about like those bumper stickers "MY STUDENT IS AN HONOR ROLL STUDENT AT ______ MIDDLE SCHOOL". or posting your golf scores on facebook.
13.1, no wait 26.2. I'm better than you.
volbeat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #26342
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
My guess is that the package was scheduled for delivery on Friday and the driver scanned it Friday and then fucked off down the boozer and delivered it for real Monday.
Yep - he had a deadline to meet and just didn't feel like it. Priorities man.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #26343
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I don't own a Felt, but, what's wrong with 'em?

Nothing, really. But I'm 42. When I started riding I was a young lad staring at my father's bikes and the other fellows with whom he rode. My first real racing bike at 14 was a Panasonic Professional 7000 with a Dura Ace gruppo and tubulars. I was a fan of the Dutch Panasonic Team after Raleigh/TI went south.

From then I had my first job as a teen working at a pro frame shop. I stared at the Gios frames, the Ciocc, Guerciotti, the new Eddy Merckx, Vitus and Alan frames. You can imagine my lust for the Eddy Merckx frames once Phil Anderson stopped racing Raleigh/Reynolds and went to them late in his career with Panasonic.

I finally built up a Ciocc SLX frame with Super Record and Ambrosio rims and I loved that bike. One day in 1988 I was struck by a car. It demolished my bicycle and shattered my ankle and nearly killed me. It was a mild February day and I was wearing tights, shorts, a long sleeve wool jersey and a signed Panasonic team jersey. And a leather hairnet (a cinelli casque). I admit I had a Brancale helmet but I never wore it unless I had to. That choice nearly cost me my life. All my kit was cut off of me in including shoes and shoe covers. The barstards.

I spent a lot of time scrimping and saving and finally built up a Gianni Motta tri-colour frame with Campy Super Record (AND trans-torque seat stays!) and started racing again. (Gianni Motta rode with Merckx on the Peugeot team) I also built up a Vitus Carbone 7 like my hero Sean Kelly. I raced USCF juniors and Cat 3 and that was that. After university and then grad school, I was bikeless again save for a Stumpjumper M2. I found a nice Casati frame and built it up with Record C and Delta (oh my god stop this fucking thing) brakes. After I sold that I built up a Bottechia with Dura Ace.

So you see, it isn't a utilitarian thing. I think Felt might make a fine bike and for sure my current bike is much nicer than I deserve and lighter than I'll ever need (although I run a Dura-Ace hubbed set of 32 hole DT-Swiss clincher wheels, I also have a set of 20/24 aero spoked fancy tubulars which I save for... for no apparent reason, really)

I have an eye always toward the history and tradition of the sport. I have no ill feelings or sense of indignation regarding those mass-made Asian frames painted and branded under a 100 different labels (including Felt). To be sure I am the biggest FRED on the road with my bike. I have tried to talk the LBS into finding me two things: Vittoria shoes which were my favourite until they were cut off me post car-crash and an Italian-made Ciocc frame. They have been less than helpful. I explained that I would buy both and at a premium, if he could contact the distributor. Nothing doing. I got a line on a Belgian Merckx frame. I had to buy my Selle San Marco Concord from Holland. It came to my mum with no packaging, a couple scuffs and it had been mounted, at least. Onto it was attached a note which read: dis zadel ist nieuwe or something to that effect. ha! The Dutch kill me.

I suppose I'm reliving my childhood except now I can afford to buy the stuff and ride club rides with other 45 year olds at our leisure. And talk about how good Roberto Visentini was or wasn't. (was better than his record, by the way)
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.

Schlug screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 02:07 PM
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #26344
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,013
Quote:
... those mass-made Asian frames painted and branded under a 100 different labels (including Felt)...

Sigh, wasn't that long ago that Felt was hand making aero frames right here in Watsonville, and thats all they made, they were big with the pro triathlete crowd.

I knew they'd offshored their production, didn't realize they'd branched out into more than race bikes..
Old 12-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #26345
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Nothing, really. But I'm 42. When I started riding I was a young lad staring at my father's bikes and the other fellows with whom he rode. My first real racing bike a

....... snip.......

ote which read: dis zadel ist nieuwe or something to that effect. ha! The Dutch kill me.

I suppose I'm reliving my childhood except now I can afford to buy the stuff and ride club rides with other 45 year olds at our leisure. And talk about how good Roberto Visentini was or wasn't. (was better than his record, by the way)
I'd say get on Ebay and get the bike you lusted after back then.... Or at least something cool.....
mud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #26346
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

I've been checking. If I ever see a Gianni Motta tri-colour in 58 I'm going to send my bank manager into shock.

But then I'm reliving my youth. I'll take an older Campy Record gruppo and make it swanky and pretend I'm racing Zoetemelk. I don't care if it's +9 kilos.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #26347
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
Sigh, wasn't that long ago that Felt was hand making aero frames right here in Watsonville, and thats all they made, they were big with the pro triathlete crowd.

I knew they'd offshored their production, didn't realize they'd branched out into more than race bikes..
One day when the LBS owner was digging through a catalogue for one of my confusing special orders, I grabbed a Felt booklet and read about the fellow Felt and how he made his buddy a triatholon frame etc etc.

Both the guys in the shop ride Felts, and the owner has a very nice Dura Ace electric bike set up. For the money they are SERIOUS value for your entertainment dollar. My interests lay in frames where, for the money, I'm not getting quite the value. Unless that value is the name of an old Italian racer/frame builder.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #26348
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Crits are another story.

M
Crits suuuuuuuuuuck

I entered one crit on a lark (racing was cheap in Missouri, it's in Maryland), and encountered more douchery in one crit race than an entire season of tri's & du's.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #26349
k7
Ancien cyclist

Nice post about growing up - thanks for that.

Quote:
My interests lay in frames where, for the money, I'm not getting quite the value. Unless that value is the name of an old Italian racer/frame builder.
I was never into racing but rather long distance touring which persists to today via brevets. If I ever go back to a diamond-frame, I would purchase my third Mercian King of Mercia framed bike.

My first one was black and the second was a gun-metal gray with red accents. Things of beauty they were - and luckily, still made in the UK.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #26350
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,850
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:00 AM   #26351
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Nice post about growing up - thanks for that.

I was never into racing but rather long distance touring which persists to today via brevets. If I ever go back to a diamond-frame, I would purchase my third Mercian King of Mercia framed bike.

My first one was black and the second was a gun-metal gray with red accents. Things of beauty they were - and luckily, still made in the UK.
That is beautiful - never heard of them and it turns out they are located a couple towns over from where I was born.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:06 AM   #26352
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,669
all y'all steel lovers need to surf on over to both Paceline forums and velocipede salon. Friday night lights on VS will knock yer socks off.

M
Old 12-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #26353
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
That is beautiful - never heard of them and it turns out they are located a couple towns over from where I was born.
Cool. For everyone else, their site.

I was poking around their website and they have a metal headbadge option. Heck, I'd damn near order a frame with that option just to hang it above the fireplace as art:

I dated a gal in Atlanta who had one also. On our club rides, we found that we could both out-coast everyone else. It was amazing. Somewhere at home, I have a picture of both of our bikes on top of my car. I'll see if I can't dig it out.

Good times - great memories!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #26354
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,162
Nice to see this thread get back on track!
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #26355
k7
Ancien cyclist

accomplishments in 2012, goals for 2013?

Had a good year -

I went from 0 brevets to completing the full series along with a 1200-km event in 2012. That's almost 3000-km in brevets and with regular weekday and Saturday rides, I'll end up with 8000-km / 5000 miles this year.

Part of my staying motivated is putting my goals out there for everyone to see. That way, you can rag me if you don't me at least make an effort. So.....

In 2013: more of the same. I've signed up for the Texas Rodeo Stampede 1200 in early May. It's a 1200-km event through the Hill Country and due to the 2012 results, I'm already qualified. I'm sure I'll ride a few of our local events also. Our club's first century is in early Jan so we'll do that one too.

What did you accomplish in 2012 and what are your goals for 2013?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: