Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 265 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #26626
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Hell yeah! But, I would've been launching off that with my 24" Schwinn 10spd....'cuz that's how I rolled!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #26627
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Hell yeah! But, I would've been launching off that with my 24" Schwinn 10spd....'cuz that's how I rolled!
This, unfortunately, is how we kids rolled in the 70's.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #26628
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,975
Quote:

Yep, except my Stingray was yellow. It got stolen after only a few months. Thieving scum.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #26629
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Yep, except my Stingray was yellow. It got stolen after only a few months. Thieving scum.
Hard to imagine today riding one of those POS's. But back then, we thought they were cool. Just like bell bottom jeans.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #26630
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:

I never had a shifting model, but had a couple stingray's. We went through a phase where we would saw the forks off another bike, and hammer them onto the existing forks, making a chopper. Couldn't keep the front wheel on the ground! The minibikes, and then dirtbikes put the whole bicycle thing on the backburner for years...
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #26631
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:

never owned a 20" bike. my first bike as a kid was a english "lightweight" 3-speed, my 2nd bike a Dawes Galaxy 10-speed. I still have the Motobecane Grand Record 10 speed I bought in 1975...
Old 12-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #26632
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I'm just finishing a build(first one) and had the head-tubes and BB done. Bare frame, doesn't hurt. The only thing I couldn't have done was the drive side BB shell. It has an ISCG plate and I was told he didn't have the right tool to do it. The facing tool was too wide. He had never seen one though so he may have been mistaken. I went ahead and built it up anyway. Hoping I don't have any issues because my BB is external.
I'm looking at a Chris King headset for my build and got lost reading install info on his site which called for having the head-tube faced. The last bike i built was back in the 80's, BMX stuff so this is actually something I have never heard of. So, I set out to buy a facing tool because I really enjoy working on bikes just as much as riding. Whoa, $300 plus for a good tool, that was for the head only, BB set up is additinal.

I totally understand the principles but wondered if it was truly necessary. What did the shop charge you for such a service?
Old 12-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #26633
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
We went through a phase where we would saw the forks off another bike, and hammer them onto the existing forks, making a chopper. Couldn't keep the front wheel on the ground! The minibikes, and then dirtbikes put the whole bicycle thing on the backburner for years...
We did the exact same thing with the forks! It amazes me the similarity in things we would do in a time where media/technology was nonexistent and we lived thousands of miles apart.

These are in my garage now, the little neighbors love to cruise them around the hood.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #26634
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
We did the exact same thing with the forks! It amazes me the similarity in things we would do in a time where media/technology was nonexistent and we lived thousands of miles apart.

These are in my garage now, the little neighbors love to cruise them around the hood.

I remember riding my friend's one of those exact same bikes, and being amazed at how awful it was. slow, heavy, sloppy steering, horrible brakes. but, hey, you looked cool doing it, I guess. Maybe /thats/ why Harley's are so popular?!?

of course, at that point in time (late 60s, I was 15 or 16), I was into riding my Dawes all over San Francisco. my friends with the stingrays thought that around the block was too far, and anything resembling a hill was for walking up.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #26635
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
I remember riding my friend's one of those exact same bikes, and being amazed at how awful it was. slow, heavy, sloppy steering, horrible brakes. but, hey, you looked cool doing it, I guess. Maybe /thats/ why Harley's are so popular?!?

of course, at that point in time (late 60s, I was 15 or 16), I was into riding my Dawes all over San Francisco. my friends with the stingrays thought that around the block was too far, and anything resembling a hill was for walking up.
You had lame friends and at 15/16 my bikes were stashed in the corner of the garage because we had moved on to cars/motorcycles.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #26636
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,554
And now, a word from James May on bicycles and road cyclists in-particular (aka gimp suits)

http://www.topgear.com/uk/james-may/james-may-bicycles
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #26637
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
And now, a word from James May on bicycles and road cyclists in-particular (aka gimp suits)

http://www.topgear.com/uk/james-may/james-may-bicycles
"Cyclists have become miserabilists."

He's right. I see prime examples of this almost daily. You'd think they're all on the "Tour de Fuck You."
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #26638
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

"May, 8,000; other cyclists, nil. I supposed I might just be coming across as a weirdo. So I then tried smiling instead. Still nothing."

"Don't come over all superior with me, you saddle-faced gits."

That is no bullshit, I could have the most fucked up day ever and about 2 miles into a trip to the beer store, I have a permanent smile affixed to my face.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #26639
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
I remember riding my friend's one of those exact same bikes, and being amazed at how awful it was. slow, heavy, sloppy steering, horrible brakes. but, hey, you looked cool doing it, I guess.
It's been decades, and I still remember how awful those things were. What's amazing is how much we still managed to do with that crappy technology.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #26640
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
What's amazing is how much we still managed to do with that crappy technology.
I won many of BMX races in the 70's on a Ashtabula equipped Schwinn Scrambler.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: