ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 517 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #26671
zouch
part-time wanderer
 
zouch's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: berkeley, CA USA
Oddometer: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
Spoken like a true cross rider.
no, spoken as if the bike cared,...
__________________
just a guy...

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #26672
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Silly question....can you use the 'flat' part of the pedal while wearing shoes with clips (If that makes sense) ?
Yes, although you really need to be wearing clipless riding shoes with flexible rubber soles to get traction on the 'flat' side. The Bontrager shoes I wore yesterday have hard plastic soles, and will slide all over the place on flat pedals. They're completely useless for anything but clipless pedals. They also SUCK mightily for walking on rocky slopes, as I found out.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #26673
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 6,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Silly question....can you use the 'flat' part of the pedal while wearing shoes with clips (If that makes sense) ? I like the look of these but what I'd like to be able to do is clip in on the flat portion of rides and then, say, when going uphill, flip the pedal over so I don't have issues un-clipping when going uphill.

Hope that made sense...
It does and they do. I unclip & pedal on the flat side when I think I'm gonna need to kick a cab or a bus. I wear these with those pedals, and it's a very good 'around town' combination.
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours 2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR...I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #26674
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I'm confused. You're going to go to flats so you can work on one aspect of a ride that lasts how long?
As long as I want it to last. I can ride red trails all day out there, if I have the energy and the inclination.

Quote:
No such thing. Sometimes it IS faster/easier to get off and carry the bike.
Well sure it is, but my purpose is learning to RIDE up steep hills, not to carry my bike up.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #26675
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Yes, although you really need to be wearing clipless riding shoes with flexible rubber soles to get traction on the 'flat' side. The Bontrager shoes I wore yesterday have hard plastic soles, and will slide all over the place on flat pedals. They're completely useless for anything but clipless pedals. They also SUCK mightily for walking on rocky slopes, as I found out.
Got it - I think the ones I have have a harder sole so that's great information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
It does and they do. I unclip & pedal on the flat side when I think I'm gonna need to kick a cab or a bus. I wear these with those pedals, and it's a very good 'around town' combination.
Thanks - I like the look of them. I might need to invest in some of those as the ones I have will probably not work going by what Aurelius said.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #26676
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Got it - I think the ones I have have a harder sole so that's great information.

Thanks - I like the look of them. I might need to invest in some of those as the ones I have will probably not work going by what Aurelius said.
Ones like Chisenhallw has are what you need. I have a pair of those, and they work great on both flats and clipless pedals. They're also very good for walking in. Their only real disadvantage is that they're flexible like a pair of sneakers, so your feet will move around inside them as the material stretches when pedaling hard. I'm also informed that they're not as comfortable on long rides because they don't provide enough support, but I haven't done enough back to back comparisons to say for sure.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #26677
mud
I just wander.....
 
mud's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Roseville, MN
Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I've pretty much got the technique down regarding body position, but I wanted to test a claim made by a couple of other riders that the smallest gear up front will get me up any hill. In retrospect, I think using the middle gear would have worked much better.
It is just like a dirtbike. Sometimes if the traction sucks, you need to run a gear high (or more on a bicycle) so you don't spin as easily. You need to have the grunt though....
__________________
2007 Factory Husaberg 380FE
1984 Husqvarna 500AE
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #26678
zouch
part-time wanderer
 
zouch's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: berkeley, CA USA
Oddometer: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Well sure it is, but my purpose is learning to RIDE up steep hills, not to carry my bike up.
riding up steep hills is one thing; getting re-started on a steep hill is yet another. most mortals can ride up hills much steeper than they can re-start on, and restarting is an art in itself that requires finding the proper balance of weighting the bike, gently applying power in the correct gear, and basically balancing yourself so as to be able to lift your standing foot so lightly that you're essentially in the middle of a power stroke when your standing foot comes of the ground. (naturally, all this has to be done seated, with your weight on the saddle, or you'll just spin the rear tire.)
__________________
just a guy...

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #26679
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Ones like Chisenhallw has are what you need. I have a pair of those, and they work great on both flats and clipless pedals. They're also very good for walking in. Their only real disadvantage is that they're flexible like a pair of sneakers, so your feet will move around inside them as the material stretches when pedaling hard. I'm also informed that they're not as comfortable on long rides because they don't provide enough support, but I haven't done enough back to back comparisons to say for sure.
I should be OK, I don't need to set any of those BS Strava KOM records
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple

Mercury264 screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 09:51 AM
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #26680
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus
 
TheNedster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Perched atop the Great Central Valley
Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Well sure it is, but my purpose is learning to RIDE up steep hills, not to carry my bike up.
Yabbut, you asked what to do when you stall out on said steep bit. In that case you can:
A) Push the bike.
B) Carry the bike.
C) Go back down to the last flat spot and try for a do-over.

In my experience, if it's steep enough and loose enough, you're pooched and aren't going to be able to get rolling again.
__________________
"The V-Strom Man sits up straight and only picks his nose when he is 100% sure that no one is looking." - Uncle Larry
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #26681
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Yabbut, you asked what to do when you stall out on said steep bit. In that case you can:
A) Push the bike.
B) Carry the bike.
C) Go back down to the last flat spot and try for a do-over.
Yes of course, but I thought there might be another option, like starting in a taller gear just to get rolling and then downshifting.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #26682
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I should be OK, I don't need to set any of those BS Strava KOM records
What possible purpose can there be in riding if you're not going for a KOM?
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #26683
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 22,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
riding up steep hills is one thing; getting re-started on a steep hill is yet another. most mortals can ride up hills much steeper than they can re-start on, and restarting is an art in itself that requires finding the proper balance of weighting the bike, gently applying power in the correct gear, and basically balancing yourself so as to be able to lift your standing foot so lightly that you're essentially in the middle of a power stroke when your standing foot comes of the ground. (naturally, all this has to be done seated, with your weight on the saddle, or you'll just spin the rear tire.)
See, that's the kind of thing I'm talking about. I actually did try those things, but I couldn't maintain my balance long enough to get a good start.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #26684
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
Spoken like a true cross rider.


I learned that in 1987 when I first started mtn biking and had absolutely no clue there was anything called 'cyclocross' out there.

...but it has been reinforced riding/racing cross

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #26685
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Yes of course, but I thought there might be another option, like starting in a taller gear just to get rolling and then downshifting.
If its that steep, there's no effing way you're going to turn over anything bigger.

If you get stuck and its that steep, ya gotta either go forward or backwards till you can find yourself a spot to get at least one pedal stroke in.

If using clipless pedals, don't worry about clipping in at the first pedal stroke. Get some momentum up first. May take a few revolutions of the pedals to get it. Till then platform on your unclipped pedal. If you happen to get it right and you clip in, great, but don't count on it.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015