User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #26746
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,457
Keep up the good(i.e. Hard) work everybody! We just got 10+ inches of snow, so our New Years ride has morphed into a X country ski adventure. No shortage of laughs there! Anyway, carry on, and have an awesome New Years!!!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #26747
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Have a link? Or, is it like a lighting battery pack?

I was kind of drooling over this, if I ever went to a dynamo hub.

I have the pace and nutrition worked out. I gotta' get to this place, and ride a USS, as they have a few I'm intersested in. And, I don't need much more reason to go to that area.

I'll get to reading.
It's a simple battery pack. Nothing fancy - not this one but very similar: http://www.gomadic.com/garmin-edge-5...-extender.html

Bicycleman has a good reputation. Personally, I'm not a USS fan - not an aerodynamically efficient as a hi-racer. Your intended purpose will drive the selection as you might guess. BROL has tons of info and this thread has good info: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ry-a-lot-(long)

I have a dynohub but haven't considered a USB device yet. I am leery of too many wires all over the bike- too many failure points. I just removed my dynohub-driven rear light. The led versions are brighter and more efficient anyway.

k7 screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 07:34 PM
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #26748
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
It's a simple battery pack. Nothing fancy - not this one but very similar: http://www.gomadic.com/garmin-edge-5...extender.html.
Oh yeah, I've seen kids with those hooked to various devices. Never though of using one for my Garmin.

Quote:
Bicycleman has a good reputation. Personally, I'm not a USS fan - not an aerodynamically efficient as a hi-racer. Your intended purpose will drive the selection as you might guess. BROL has tons of info and this thread has good info: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-a-lot-(long).
Well, you know my health issues, so that's why I was considering one.

I'll get to reading that thread. Thank you.

Quote:
I have a dynohub but haven't considered a USB device yet. I am leery of too many wires all over the bike- too many failure points. I just removed my dynohub-driven rear light. The led versions are brighter and more efficient anyway.
I was looking at the info at PW's site and was convinced I wanted a dyno headlight, as it's a PITA to carry spare rechargeable AAs, for the LED headlights I currently have.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #26749
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post

I was looking at the info at PW's site and was convinced I wanted a dyno headlight, as it's a PITA to carry spare rechargeable AAs, for the LED headlights I currently have.
Opps...may have left the wrong impression. Front dynohub- driven headlight: the best option for LD rides. I'm just not convinced that the USB charger and rear lights are necessary. I keep my iPhone off except at night when I need the alarm. Even then, it's on only for a few hours. It'll last for 4-5 days like that!

Peter know his stuff....check out Longleaf Bicycles if you want a custom-built front wheel w/ the dynohub option. http://www.longleafbicycles.com/. He's a little more...shall we say personable than Peter. . I'm a satisfied customer fwiw.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:07 AM   #26750
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
Actually, have you ever heard of Strava? It's a website where you can follow other people's cycling.........
Never heard of it. Tell us more.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:53 AM   #26751
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,846
So my riding buddy is dead set on doing a century tomorrow.

...except its supposed to rain. While I have Gore Tex, riding 6-8hrs in the rain in the winter don't sound like what I'd call fun.

Wed is supposed to be cold, but clear. Trying to talk him into moving it back a day or possibly even splitting up the ride over 2 days. I can handle a few hours of misery, but 6-8? Pass.

M
Old 12-31-2012, 06:10 AM   #26752
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Peter know his stuff....check out Longleaf Bicycles if you want a custom-built front wheel w/ the dynohub option. http://www.longleafbicycles.com/. He's a little more...shall we say personable than Peter. . I'm a satisfied customer fwiw.
Yeah, Peter is definitely different. Saved the Longleaf link.

I've been over at BROL reading your threads, BTW. I didn't know Ultracycling existed, either. That's seems to be a cool organization; inspiring, to say the least.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:11 AM   #26753
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

...except its supposed to rain. While I have Gore Tex, riding 6-8hrs in the rain in the winter don't sound like what I'd call fun.

Wed is supposed to be cold, but clear. Trying to talk him into moving it back a day or possibly even splitting up the ride over 2 days. I can handle a few hours of misery, but 6-8? Pass.

M
I bet, if you don't go, he won't make it. And, am guessing, even if you did go, he'd probably realize the misery and want to bail.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:53 AM   #26754
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,456
Quote:

M
I'm all for hard riding, but at the end of the day this is still supposed to be fun.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #26755
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,730
Quote:
I'm all for hard riding, but at the end of the day this is still supposed to be fun.

Rain isn't too bad. Cold isn't too bad. Rainy and cold? You can keep it.

45F, but dry when I left on yesterday's ride. About 53F when I finished. The rain moved on two days ago, but the roads still have wet patches and lots of run-off.

I was going to ride with a local club this morning for a quick trip to the Hollywood sign before work. 10 month-old YakSprout had other plans that involved him screaming from 3 to 4:30am. Fingers crossed he'll sleep through tonight so I can get out there tomorrow when everyone else is still sleeping off their hangovers.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #26756
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Rescheduled for Fri. Instead of doing 45mi on my birthday, we're doing 100

It's been tossed about to do 113 just because

We just got back from 14mi mtn bike ride. Little on the side

M

Gummee! screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 06:11 AM
Gummee! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:48 AM   #26757
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
5055 as of yesterday. How about that, I've been over 5000 miles on this bike. That's pretty goddam cool! Anyway, that was 348 miles, not great but not bad. I didn't have much of a chance to ride with the club, so most of those are solo. I'm at 2705, 80 miles ahead of my schedule. I should be at 2625.
Well that just plain ol' sucked. The past three months have been a perfect storm of bad weather, injury, sickness, and a healthy dose of laziness thrown in for good measure. I only managed 433 miles in three months, which leaves me at 3138 for the year, well short of my goal of 3500.

So, how did I do this year? My first goal was 3500 miles. did I reach it? No. My second goal was a century. Did I do that? No. My best ride was about 80 miles. My third goal was twenty miles in an hour. Did I reach that? No. My best was 19.25 miles. In short, suckage, suckage, and suckage.

That's not going to keep me from setting even grander goals for enxt year though. Here they are: 4000 miles, a century, and 20 miles in an hour. I have absolutely zero confidence that I'll make any of them.

As a note, I'm at 5488 this morning.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:48 AM   #26758
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,815
Anyone know of a source of tyres for 28" wheels? Obviously these are older so expect them to be NOS.
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #26759
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
Anyone know of a source of tyres for 28" wheels? Obviously these are older so expect them to be NOS.
28" is usually synonymous for 700c but check the size chart to be sure

HTH

M
Old 01-01-2013, 06:17 AM   #26760
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,815
Quote:
28" is usually synonymous for 700c but check the size chart to be sure
Thanks for that chart and the link. That's fixed that issue then as was considering getting a 28" wheeled frame but as there's only 5mm difference in BSD between the 27" and 28" nominal wheels, I shan't bother.
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: