Happy birthday to me!

M
Old 01-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #26824
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Very interesting and cool! I gave the shop a Facebook like.
Here's a few links to articles on the grand opening.

http://www.bikearlington.com/pages/n...-in-arlington/

http://www.arlnow.com/2013/01/04/old...-in-lyon-park/

http://clarendon.patch.com/articles/...s-in-arlington

I couldn't make it to the opening, but at least my cousin took a few pics.

and a few more before he opened...

BTW, he needs a brake for the 1886 Rudge ordinary in the window, so if anybody has one laying around...

Omi screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 09:33 PM
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:28 AM   #26825
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzzly View Post
Is a Schwinn S-60 DSX Mountain Bike a good fit for someone 6’4”
I know almost nothing about MTB’s just looking for something to get started
Thanks
How long is a string?

seriously, the brand has nothing to do with size. at 6'4 you almost certainly want an XL bike in whatever brand/model.

that said, Schwinn is now a big-box store brand hawked by Dorel Industries, and generally not very good bikes. if you're just going to be riding a few dozen miles at most, around town, on bike paths etc, then thats fine, but ....

If you are buying a mountain bike to actually ride offroad, I'd suggest visiting some real bike shops, and looking at the major brands like Giant, Specialized, Trek, and the secondary brands like Kona, Jamis, KHS, Cannondale, Marin. if you're the type who goes whole hog for physical activities, I'd suggest looking for a hard tail mountain bike in the $800-1000 new range. if you want full suspension for riding on really rough terrain, then make that $1200 or more as cheap suspension bikes will fall apart in a big hurry if you actually use them. The good stuff will break too, if you huck it off a ledge and blow a landing, but at least its worth fixing..
Old 01-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #26826
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
110mi 6:3X moving time. 7:05 total

My legs hate me

Happy birthday to me!

M
Nice!!
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #26827
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Is a Schwinn S-60 DSX Mountain Bike a good fit for someone 6’4”
I know almost nothing about MTB’s just looking for something to get started
Thanks
ths short answer is; it depends on what size the bike is, not who made it or what model it is.

"something to get started" bicycling? or actually mountain biking?
either way, i wouldn't recommend a cheap full suspension MTB.

if you're just getting started bicycling (which is my guess from the way you phrased the question) you're probably talking about riding around town and/or on simple trails, and don't need (or want) full suspension. if you're talking about going out on the trail, it's not likely that a bike can be built with full suspension at that price point that will last long at all under someone our size, and you'll end up spending more trying to keep it working than it would cost to buy a better bike in the first place.

either way, you'd be better served buying a non-suspended bike where they put the money into the bike instead of making it look like it has suspension. if you're truly convinced that even without any experience cycling that you "need" suspension, stay away from the full suspension bikes and get something that's only got a suspension fork.
if you're actually going to be riding it off-road and expect it to be safe and durable, be prepared to spend at least twice as much money.

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #26828
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
How long is a string?

seriously, the brand has nothing to do with size. at 6'4 you almost certainly want an XL bike in whatever brand/model.

that said, Schwinn is now a big-box store brand hawked by Dorel Industries, and generally not very good bikes. if you're just going to be riding a few dozen miles at most, around town, on bike paths etc, then thats fine, but ....

If you are buying a mountain bike to actually ride offroad, I'd suggest visiting some real bike shops, and looking at the major brands like Giant, Specialized, Trek, and the secondary brands like Kona, Jamis, KHS, Cannondale, Marin. if you're the type who goes whole hog for physical activities, I'd suggest looking for a hard tail mountain bike in the $800-1000 new range. if you want full suspension for riding on really rough terrain, then make that $1200 or more as cheap suspension bikes will fall apart in a big hurry if you actually use them. The good stuff will break too, if you huck it off a ledge and blow a landing, but at least its worth fixing..
I am thinking that is what I am going to have to do my only problem is very limited funding so I was hoping to find something used I was wanting to keep it closer to $200

Thanks for the reply

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #26829
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,737
Quote:
I am thinking that is what I am going to have to do my only problem is very limited funding so I was hoping to find something used I was wanting to keep it closer to $200

Thanks for the reply

If your budget is $200 then I suggest that you buy used off of craigslist, or buy & build yourself. Building bicycles is easy and fun.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #26830
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
ths short answer is; it depends on what size the bike is, not who made it or what model it is.

"something to get started" bicycling? or actually mountain biking?
either way, i wouldn't recommend a cheap full suspension MTB.

if you're just getting started bicycling (which is my guess from the way you phrased the question) you're probably talking about riding around town and/or on simple trails, and don't need (or want) full suspension. if you're talking about going out on the trail, it's not likely that a bike can be built with full suspension at that price point that will last long at all under someone our size, and you'll end up spending more trying to keep it working than it would cost to buy a better bike in the first place.

either way, you'd be better served buying a non-suspended bike where they put the money into the bike instead of making it look like it has suspension. if you're truly convinced that even without any experience cycling that you "need" suspension, stay away from the full suspension bikes and get something that's only got a suspension fork.
if you're actually going to be riding it off-road and expect it to be safe and durable, be prepared to spend at least twice as much money.
I have ridden my old diamond back Sorrento on some trails but it is killing my wrists (it is solid front) so I was thinking about getting something with some front suspension. I am also starting to think I need a longer bike but most of what I am seeing in the specs is wheel size and seat height
You mention that I need an XL bike but I have not seen that type of sizing in the description of any of the bikes I have looked at, is there some where I should be looking?

Old 01-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #26831
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
If your budget is $200 then I suggest that you buy used off of craigslist, or buy & build yourself. Building bicycles is easy and fun.
I not having much luck C-list on this one, if i knew what i needed that might be diferant

Old 01-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #26832
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
I not having much luck C-list on this one, if i knew what i needed that might be diferant
Yeah, I am 6'3", bikes on CL in our size a few a far between. You just have to be patient.... and check it ALOT!
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #26833
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
I have ridden my old diamond back Sorrento on some trails but it is killing my wrists (it is solid front) so I was thinking about getting something with some front suspension. I am also starting to think I need a longer bike but most of what I am seeing in the specs is wheel size and seat height
You mention that I need an XL bike but I have not seen that type of sizing in the description of any of the bikes I have looked at, is there some where I should be looking?
wrist problems are frequently related more to improper fit to the bike, or riding style. many of us 'formerly bitchin' dudes' (a.k.a.: old farts) here grew up riding MTBs long before any suspension, and learned how to keep a firm grip at the bars but have loose arms to allow the bike to move under us, and that translates into a riding style that results in less wrist discomfort on any bike.

sizing is one of those things people tend to overlook or forget to mention when talking about bikes (just like you did on your initial question); you just have to ask.

frankly, if i were in your limited-$ shoes, i'd check to make sure the bike i had fit me. (a good shop should be willing to help you with a proper fit; and knowing how your bike should fit you is something you're going to need on every bike you ever own, so it's a good thing to figure out before you start buying stuff.) it might be that the bike you already have can be made to fit you better (longer stems are common for guys our size), and that may alleviate your discomfort for less than what you wanted to spend for now.
depending on what year your Sorrento is, if everything else is good and you've already got your fit nailed, you might even consider looking for a shock that you can put on it. if your bike is too old, it might not have been designed to be 'suspension ready' geometry, but many are; you'll just have to check that to make sure you can get a suspension fork that will have roughly the same axle to crown race dimension as your stock fork.

it wasn't me that mentioned the XL frame size, but they were probably right, as were the comments regarding the difficulty finding larger bikes for sale used. i have a high enough Ape Index that i flat-foot (with bent knees) a GS Adventure with longer-than-stock custom Öhlins, and can vouch that bicycles in the taller sizes like ours are fewer and farther between than bikes closer to the middle sizes. you might have much better luck finding a suspension fork that someone upgraded out of in a fit of 'upgrade-itis'.

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #26834
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

I am going to be in a town with a bike shop tomorrow, I will swing by and see what they have to say.
thanks for the replys

Old 01-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #26835
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:

Thanks for the reply
what kind of riding do you expect to actually do? casual riding, mostly bike paths and a bit of hard pack dirt? for that I'd suggest a 'hybrid' bike rather than a 'mountain bike', these are like $500 new for a decent one (Specialized Sirrus, Giant Escape, etc). avoid cheap suspension like the plague.

craigslist is real hit/miss for bicycles, a lot of people are asking far more than the bikes are really worth, and there's a lot of junk. One of the best places to get used bikes is garage sales, cruise the neighborhoods on garage sale morning, and even if you don't see any bicycles, especially if its an older grandma type, ASK! you'd be surprised what might be pulled out of the back of the garage...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: