Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 142 votes, 4.77 average. Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #26836
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzzly View Post
I am going to be in a town with a bike shop tomorrow, I will swing by and see what they have to say.
thanks for the replys
I have an older 22" chromoly Rockhopper frame and about 15-20 bikes under a tarp in my backyard. I can probably throw something together that would work well for you once the snow melts. I'm 6'4" and know how hard it can be finding bikes that fit right. I have $20 in the frame, and maybe another $60 for tires and cables. Just an option.

Omar
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #26837
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,253
Easy 40 miles with the PMCB this morning. The patch on my femoral artery and on the tube in my front tire both held up well.

Assuming the doctor "releases" on the 8th, the first century of the year will be next Sunday.

And then:

Saturday, February 2, 2013 Saguaro National Park 300 km/190 miles

Saturday, February 16, 2013 Gila River Valley 200 km/125 miles

Saturday, March 2, 2013 Around the Bend 400 km/257 miles

>> Friday, March 22, 2013 Fleche 360 km. (Not sure about this one...)

>> Saturday, April 13, 2013 Tombstone, Tucson start 600 km/374 miles. (Not sure about this one either...too close to the 1200 for my comfort.)

Wed - Sat, May 1 -4, Texas Stampede 1200/750 miles

So, for the most part, with a lot of luck, I'll accomplish my goals by May 4th and can ride simply for the joy of riding for the rest of the year.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #26838
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,142
I have had a few very close calls on the road so I am trying to avoid the road as much as possible, and I have found a lot of bicycle single track in the area so I am thinking that I need something that will take a beating but I am also going to see how much I ride it, before i start putting money into it

grizzzly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #26839
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omi View Post
I have an older 22" chromoly Rockhopper frame and about 15-20 bikes under a tarp in my backyard. I can probably throw something together that would work well for you once the snow melts. I'm 6'4" and know how hard it can be finding bikes that fit right. I have $20 in the frame, and maybe another $60 for tires and cables. Just an option.

Omar
i will keep that in mind
thanks

grizzzly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #26840
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzzly View Post
i will keep that in mind
thanks
that would be an excellent way to dip your feet in. those older rockhoppers were nearly indestructable frames, and a reasonably well sorted 'bitsa-bike' (bitsa this, bitsa that) like it sounds like he'll be putting together will be just fine.

its a hardtail (no rear suspension), and probably has a older suspension fork which is at least as good a fork as anything you'll get on a $500 newer bike.

if you're really getting into it and find the hard tail is too much of a limitation, start saving up those nickels so you can get a nice full suspension disk brake bike down the road. I have a Stumpjumper FSR Disc here I'm not riding anymore, but its a M and is a little too small for me, and I'm 6' tall.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #26841
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,428
Get the rockhoppa!

Also don't be afraid to order a nice new frame that's sized for you and then build it up with used parts.

Back in the saddle today myself. Got my first race picked out in March, the St. Patrick's Day Du. 3 mi run/18 mi bike/3 mi run. Round about February it'll be time to start throwing bricks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I wanna go terrorize hipsters at farmers markets... in first and second gear. Farm fresh burnouts for all!
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #26842
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,343
Getting used to this whole winter riding thing.
Thinking about studded tires on a old wheel set to swap out when it gets nasty.
Staying surprisingly warm on my commute

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #26843
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,253
I admire you cold-weather-riders. As for me, ain't no way.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #26844
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,835
First time pedaling in 3 weeks. Ugh. I am out of shape. The valley below these photos is getting logged. Seen trail systems come, seen em go.

No turning back now.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #26845
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
Any strippers/builders of 531 Frames here?

I'm trying to identify a 1980s touring/road 63.5cm CTT frame. I was told it was made from 531 tubing. Its been repainted many times and has no stickers on its current coat. I wonder if anyone here knows a definitive way of determining what tubes were used in its construction?
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #26846
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
Getting used to this whole winter riding thing.
Thinking about studded tires on a old wheel set to swap out when it gets nasty.
Staying surprisingly warm on my commute
I didn't realize it got that cold, out there.

Nokian W240 is a great, studded tire. More studded tire info, here.

That looks to be a Casseroll you've got, there. If you do decide to get studs, be careful of the tire sizing. A lot of the winter tires are lugged and, then, have the studs sticking out from the lugs.

ducnut screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 07:56 AM
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #26847
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
I'm trying to identify a 1980s touring/road 63.5cm CTT frame. I was told it was made from 531 tubing. Its been repainted many times and has no stickers on its current coat. I wonder if anyone here knows a definitive way of determining what tubes were used in its construction?
Not without testing the tubes themselves.

Pictures of the frame, especially the bottom of the bottom bracket (serial #?)may help identify it.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #26848
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post

Pictures of the frame, especially the bottom of the bottom bracket (serial #?)may help identify it.
The serial number may be on the headtube or the bb. Most likely the bb though. Take a good pic of the dropouts too. They can help identify the frame.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:13 AM   #26849
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post

Apologies if I did not make this point clear: I'm really interested in identifying the tubes not the frame

Thanks but I assume that your strategy is based on the assumption that the manufacturer is known, keeps records of frames . The manufacturer is unknown so serial number is useless AFAIK. I'm hoping there is a more direct accurate method such as markings on tubes.

How might photos discriminate between many choices (BRANDS: Reynolds, Columbus, to name a few and then many choices of their respective tube types) of tubes? Surely, they cannot
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:28 AM   #26850
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
Apologies if I did not make this point clear: I'm really interested in identifying the tubes not the frame

Thanks but I assume that your strategy is based on the assumption that the manufacturer is known, keeps records of frames . The manufacturer is unknown so serial number is useless AFAIK. I'm hoping there is a more direct accurate method such as markings on tubes.

How might photos discriminate between many choices (BRANDS: Reynolds, Columbus, to name a few and then many choices of their respective tube types) of tubes? Surely, they cannot
Columbus often has a symbol on the fork steerer tube, and if Columbus SLX you'll see riflings in the seat and downtubes where they come into the BB. Tange steerers have 6 internal riflings, Columbus have 5 IIRC.

I useta work with framebuilders who could ID fork blades (Columbus are rounder) and seat and chainstays (by diameter and taper) but I lack that eye/memory.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: