ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 498 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #26851
bikerfish
flyfishandride
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: western pa
Oddometer: 1,701
yeah, I know, still have one!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #26852
Omi
0o0o0o
 
Omi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Durango, Co
Oddometer: 4,582
I just ordered a Surly Troll frameset from this great little bike shop Velorution Cycles. My full suspension bike is fun, it's just not for me. I love cro-moly. I don't race and plan on getting back into bikepacking, especially living right at the beginning of the Colorado Trail. Unfortunately, it's on backorder for a month or so.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #26853
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
yeah, I know, still have one!
well, Rockhoppers came out later, mine is a 1st year Stumpjumper Sport. I had TWO of them, a small frame one for my 5'2" wife, but that small one disappeared at a music festival two years ago (only thing we've EVER had stolen in 20+ years of going to this festival). really odd they took the small old stumpie as their were much nicer/newer bikes parked right near it.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #26854
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omi View Post
I just ordered a Surly Troll frameset from this great little bike shop Velorution Cycles. My full suspension bike is fun, it's just not for me. I love cro-moly. I don't race and plan on getting back into bikepacking, especially living right at the beginning of the Colorado Trail. Unfortunately, it's on backorder for a month or so.
why the 26" Troll and not the 29er/700c Ogre ?
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #26855
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer
 
RxZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Tyler, TX
Oddometer: 1,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
hey all, been looking at getting a 29er to replace my 25? year old rockhopper. sorry, but I don't want to spend more than 650 bucks, period, so don't suggest bikes that cost 750, 850,etc. My racing days were over long ago, I simply want a bike to ride some local single track and enjoy the woods. lots of roots/rocks in my area, that's why I'm interested in the 29ers, just time to try something different. my local bike shop sells Giant, and gives some good discounts. I've also looked at trek, diamondback and some others I can't remember at some other shops.
SO, if you had 650 bucks, what would you buy?
thanks in advance for any advice.
If you want to go new... I bought a Trek Marlin this past summer, and so far I really like it. Paid 670 I think after taxes. It is much better than the WalMart bikes I have had in the past. That said, I have never ridden anything better than my Marlin, so I do not know how good bikes can be. So, like I said, the Trek Marlin seems good enough to me. One thing though, at this price do not expect the bike to be light, the Marlin is 31 pounds!

Otherwise, look for a gently used bike of whatever flavor you want. I am sure you can find something mid-top of the line for not much money on Craigslist or the local pawn shops.
__________________
2002 Yamaha FZ1
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #26856
mud
I just wander.....
 
mud's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Roseville, MN
Oddometer: 1,842
I picked up an Ogre frameset for my wife for my winter project ..... It is a cool frame.
__________________
2007 Factory Husaberg 380FE
1984 Husqvarna 500AE
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #26857
mtndragon
Traveler
 
mtndragon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: knocking on the golden door
Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
hey all, been looking at getting a 29er to replace my 25? year old rockhopper. sorry, but I don't want to spend more than 650 bucks, period, so don't suggest bikes that cost 750, 850,etc. My racing days were over long ago, I simply want a bike to ride some local single track and enjoy the woods. lots of roots/rocks in my area, that's why I'm interested in the 29ers, just time to try something different. my local bike shop sells Giant, and gives some good discounts. I've also looked at trek, diamondback and some others I can't remember at some other shops.
SO, if you had 650 bucks, what would you buy?
thanks in advance for any advice.
As others have said, at $650, I would think about used or perhaps a 29er from Bikes Direct. Patience and prudent shopping will be key at that pricepoint for a 29er if you'd like to maximize what you can get. I'd be tempted to look at a fully rigid 29er and then pick up a front fork down the line when funds permit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
I picked up an Ogre frameset for my wife for my winter project ..... It is a cool frame.
I am almost done my Ogre build, and I am really falling for this bike and it's not even done yet. Cranks and bottom bracket arrive soon, and hopefully I can post a picture here next week of my new commuter Ogre...
__________________
www.mtndragon.com
mtndragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #26858
mud
I just wander.....
 
mud's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Roseville, MN
Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtndragon View Post
I am almost done my Ogre build, and I am really falling for this bike and it's not even done yet. Cranks and bottom bracket arrive soon, and hopefully I can post a picture here next week of my new commuter Ogre...
If I didn't have a gen 1 Fargo I just picked up, I would have one also. They are SWEET!
__________________
2007 Factory Husaberg 380FE
1984 Husqvarna 500AE
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #26859
Omi
0o0o0o
 
Omi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Durango, Co
Oddometer: 4,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
why the 26" Troll and not the 29er/700c Ogre ?
I have 3 or 4 build kits already, all 26''. Cant really afford to rebuild all the wheel sets, new tires, suspension forks, etc. One of the main reasons I chose the Troll is because of the many build options, from a single speed to gears and drop bars and everything in-between.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #26860
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus
 
TheNedster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Perched atop the Great Central Valley
Oddometer: 884
It was sunny and 70 degrees today (yay climate change!), so I got out for 23 mi. on the MTB after work this afternoon. The legs felt like poo and never really got any better. Also, the trails down by the creeks and river were stupid muddy, making for some slow going. Still, it was way better than working, or pretty much anything else for that matter.
__________________
"The V-Strom Man sits up straight and only picks his nose when he is 100% sure that no one is looking." - Uncle Larry
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:09 AM   #26861
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omi View Post
I have never seen them without a logo either. Most high end hubs have a stamp or etching, so this ones puzzling me.

Found it! It's an American Classic! Thanks guys!

http://www.bikepro.com/products/hubs...american.shtml
As an added bonus, AC makes (made) a track axle kit for those hubs. Turn it into a SS/FH in one swell foop. AMHIK

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:27 AM   #26862
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 6,444
I never knew about the Ogre frame. Thanks guys!
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours 2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR...I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #26863
bikerfish
flyfishandride
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: western pa
Oddometer: 1,701
just a quick question, seems alot of the bikes I'm looking at in my price range have the same frame, or at least the same design? I'm thinking they are all coming out of the same factory in china and just getting different stickers slapped on them. I'm not saying that is always a bad thing, since I'm not gonna shell out thousands for something without an engine, just that they all do look VERY similar.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #26864
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion
 
YakSpout's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: all by myself
Oddometer: 6,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
just a quick question, seems alot of the bikes I'm looking at in my price range have the same frame, or at least the same design? I'm thinking they are all coming out of the same factory in china and just getting different stickers slapped on them. I'm not saying that is always a bad thing, since I'm not gonna shell out thousands for something without an engine, just that they all do look VERY similar.
That's exactly what happens...

http://inrng.com/2012/02/who-made-your-bike/
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #26865
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
just a quick question, seems alot of the bikes I'm looking at in my price range have the same frame, or at least the same design? I'm thinking they are all coming out of the same factory in china and just getting different stickers slapped on them. I'm not saying that is always a bad thing, since I'm not gonna shell out thousands for something without an engine, just that they all do look VERY similar.
on the flip side of that, I was reading, a company like Specialized, there's a whole series of bikes that /look/ like the same frame with different grade components but in fact, they send the design specs to 3-4 different frame makers in asia, then the one that comes back the nicest goes into the Comp, then the middle one to the Elite, and the uglier one to the base model. so all three models have the same frame DESIGN, but different makers with different levels of quality control to hit different price points.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015