Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 145 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #26911
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
40ish miles on the road. Had to really twist my buddy's arm to get him out the door. Despite the weather guessers saying 70 and sunny it was high 50s and foggy/drizzly.

Saw a few people out, bit not many!

Who else got in a ride today?

M
I'm debating it. I got 60k in yesterday in the cold. Today is 3c and drizzling with a side order of shit. It'll be another solo if it happens.

I may need some encouragement.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #26912
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
I'm debating it. I got 60k in yesterday in the cold. Today is 3c and drizzling with a side order of shit. It'll be another solo if it happens.

I may need some encouragement.

Last Wed (me in the background)

Today

M
Old 01-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #26913
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
40ish miles on the road. Had to really twist my buddy's arm to get him out the door. Despite the weather guessers saying 70 and sunny it was high 50s and foggy/drizzly.

Saw a few people out, bit not many!

Who else got in a ride today?

M
Not today, but got in 40 road miles yesterday. Sunny and dry, but never got out of the 40s (stoopit north wind). Did a 20-some-odd MTB ride Thurs. night and damn near froze. Time to invest in some decent booties.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #26914
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Not today, but got in 40 road miles yesterday. Sunny and dry, but never got out of the 40s (stoopit north wind). Did a 20-some-odd MTB ride Thurs. night and damn near froze. Time to invest in some decent booties.
...or insulated shoes.

Personally, I can't see spending the $ on winter boots/shoes when booties allow you to ride with the same shoes year round, but that's me.

I have some PI Barrier Lite booties (new, unworn) that replace some Pro Tarmac booties that were warmer than they look. Water and wind-proof too! I can wear those down into the high 30s.

Gore insulated Gore Tex booties. For when its really cold: 40s and below. $$ but worth it. When your feet absolutely need to stay warm and dry, these are a doG-send.

Everything I have from Gore I like lots except their chamois-es. The fabric and cut of their shorts are great, but the chamois lets em down. I have a pair of cycling jackets (LS and half sleeve), the booties, a pair of knickers, and coming soon, a Phantom SO jacket. (keep an eye on chainlove)

Belgian booties. ie: heavy socks with a cutout for your cleats. Work well into the upper 40s. Combine em with some toe booties and its not too bad to the upper-30s. (I'll do this for the nite cross rides we're doing 'cause I've got on mtn shoes and don't want to tear up my 'regular' booties.)

Add Gore Tex socks to the toe booties and Belgian booties and you're OK to the 30s.

If you're mtn biking in the winter gore tex socks are a doG-send. Remind me to tell y'all about the frozen over mud puddle one of these days.

M
Old 01-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #26915
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 857
Agreed on the the booties vs. dedicated winter shoes. I can get two pair of booties (one for mtn. one for road) for about half the cost of one pair of winter shoes. Besides, here in sunny CA, I only need the bloody things for about three months out of the year.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #26916
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,255
First century of the year

It was 23F on the way to the first century of the year and never got over 50. I started at 8:30 and was back at the car at 2:35.

I have to share this. I was riding with another rider and we were cruising along at 17-18 when a group went by at 24 or so. That's too fast for me at 100 miles but I jumped on with another group who was moving around 20. One of the guys in the group only had one leg and apparently, only one good hand. He had no trouble keeping up although as you can imagine, his peddling was a little jerky.

We stopped for lunch at the 70 mile point and the group started off again. This starts with a slight but steady 6 mile grade. I was pretty wel toast as were a few others. I caught several of them over the next 20 miles but about 6 miles from the end, I rode by the one-legged rider who was sitting off the side of the road trying to change a flat. I yelled to ask it he needed help and he said he didn't but I turned the cranks twice....and turned around.

I didn't do much more than offer help. He was struggling but I was worried about insulting him. He managed ok with on good hand but I helped a bit by using my pump to top off his pressure. Next time you have a front flat, try to stand on one leg and balance everything while putting the wheel back on the bike. That cost me 10 minutes but it was worth it.

So glad to soak in the tub when I got home....and warm up!
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #26917
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,447
Quote:

Today

M

Drizze turned to freezing rain so I chickened out.

Thanks for the motivation. I'll get my miles in this month, I'm quite a bit ahead of my schedule so I don't need to risk a fall to keep on track.

I have this pinned up to keep me moving on the cold wet days:

ON RULE #9: LOVE THE WORK

by frank / Oct 31 2011 / 332 posts
Fitness. The rhythm, the feeling of precision in our movement, the sensations of The Ride. The temptation of knowing we might in some way control our suffering even as we push harder in spite of the searing pain in our legs and lungs. The notion that through suffering, we might learn something rudimentary about ourselves – that we might find a kind of salvation.

Cycling, like Art, is based on the elementary notion that through focussed study, we might better understand ourselves. But to describe Cycling as a an Art does it an injustice. An artist, they say, suffers because they must. A Cyclist, I suggest, suffers because we choose to.

This element of choice, what psychologists refer to as the locus of control, is part of what allows us to feel pleasure through suffering. Through this choice unfolds an avenue of personal discovery by which we uncover the very nature of ourselves. Like Michelangelo wielding his hammer to chip away fragments of stone that obscure a great sculpture, we turn our pedals to chip away at our form, eventually revealing our true selves as a manifestation of hard work, determination, and dedication to our craft.

Having chosen this path, we quickly find that riding a bicycle on warm, dry roads through sunny boulevards is the realm of the recreational cyclist. As winter approaches, the days get shorter and the weather worse. Form tempts us to greater things, but leaves us quickly despite our best intentions. Its taste lingers long upon the tongue and urges us to gain more. Even as life gets in the way, we cannot afford many days away from our craft before we find ourselves struggling to reclaim lost fitness.

To find form in the first place, and to maintain it in the second, is a simple matter of riding your bicycle a lot. This simple task asks of us, however, a year-round commitment to throwing our leg over a toptube in heat, cold, wind, rain, or sleet, lest we spend months fighting to reclaim last year’s lost condition.

But with riding in bad weather is revealed a hidden secret. It is in the rain and the cold, when all the seductive elements of riding a bicycle have vanished, that we are truly able to ensconce ourselves in the elemental qualities of riding a bicycle. Good weather and beautiful scenery, after all, are distractions from the work. Without them, we have only those elements that we ourselves bring to The Ride: the rhythm, harmony between rider and machine, our suffering, and our thoughts. As the rain pours down and all but the most devoted stay indoors, we pull on extra clothing and submit into the deluge.

We are the Few, we are the Committed. We are those who understand that riding in bad weather means you’re a badass, period
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #26918
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,021
Well, it stopped snowing so I managed to get out for about an hour. The snow made it much easier to ride than on yesterdays ice covered streets.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #26919
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,442
Did an hour of intervals around Druid Hill Lake. Legs felt like crap. Did it anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #26920
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
One of the guys in the group only had one leg and apparently, only one good hand. He had no trouble keeping up although as you can imagine, his peddling was a little jerky.

I caught several of them over the next 20 miles but about 6 miles from the end, I rode by the one-legged rider who was sitting off the side of the road trying to change a flat. I yelled to ask it he needed help and he said he didn't but I turned the cranks twice....and turned around.

I didn't do much more than offer help. He was struggling but I was worried about insulting him. He managed ok with on good hand but I helped a bit by using my pump to top off his pressure. Next time you have a front flat, try to stand on one leg and balance everything while putting the wheel back on the bike. That cost me 10 minutes but it was worth it.
Good on ya man. The imagery you drew in the mind's eye with that story was wonderful. Congrats on your first century of the year, even though for you, it's just a warmup for the real rides.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #26921
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,365
We got a bit over 50 for the weekend. It was wet and in the 40's both day's. Felt good to get back on the skinny bike.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #26922
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
OK, So the overall thickness of the lugs points to stamped lugs instead of cast which points to a lower quality frame. as does the style of termination from the fork leg to the dropout. Steel seatpost is another (may have been added later). The seatpost lug is also a sign, it is hollow around the clamp bolt instead of solid, this also points to a stamped lug instead of cast.

Pressed (stamped) lugs are not necessarily a sign of a "bad" frame, it is the lack of finishing that is the big pointer. The lug thickness is constant, if a frame is a quality frame the lugs would have a filed taper as the get closer to the tube. The edges would also be softer yet more sharp as well...

There are other things that are covered by the paint that would tell. The "shoreline" for one, it is the junction between the tube and the lug. If it is sharp, it is of good quality. not so sharp, lesser quality....

It is still a lugged steel frame.

Hope this helps, sorry it is not more exciting.

yeah, those lugs don't look like anything I remember seeing on any decent 531 frame, way too thick. and the top of the seat stays say 'cheap mass produced bike' to me, not 531.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:59 AM   #26923
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
The only thing that gets me through time and suffering on the trainer:

http://www.thesufferfest.com

One of the problems I have with watching race videos on the rollers is leaning with the motorbike camera as it rounds a bend. I don't do it on purpose but it is responsible for the bulk of my ride-offs.

But I liked that site, thanks for linking it. I will try one!
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:21 AM   #26924
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
We got a bit over 50 for the weekend. It was wet and in the 40's both day's. Felt good to get back on the skinny bike.
I managed to get out 3 times last week - it was cold but sunny most of those rides. I really wanted to get out this past weekend and they said it was going to quite nice but it was too wet for my liking - I did get out on the XR thought...

I have finally figured out the cold toes issue - heat packs. I put one on top of toes on each foot and it works a treat and when I get back, I put them in a ziploc bag and they stop generating heat.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:27 AM   #26925
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,072
hooray

got off my lazy couch dwelling arse and got in an hour on the fixed gear yesterday. Not bad at all even pushing 80 gear inches.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: