Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:19 PM   #257
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.mc
Umm, help me out here.

Why is it bad to used the SPD's on the street compared to a "street" system? I used the SPD's because I'm a cheap ass and already had the shoes and a second pair of pedals when I bought the road bike, plus I have a bit of a gear addiction that my wife is trying to cure me of

stoopit looking or not,my friends stuck me on spd's so i could get used to clipless for the first time.
easy to use so far,and easy for the oh shit bailouts too.
i'm not comfortable enough yet for them to put back the pedals that were on this bike when they built it,but i bought shoes that will adapt to the other cleats when i'm ready.
i'm finding out that bike stuff can cost as much as motorcycle stuff,and that i didn't really need another expensive hobby.
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:20 PM   #258
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,357
marin belvedere

Trying to justify getting one more bike. . .

Saw it at REI, reckon it could be an inexpensive grocery getter.
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:32 PM   #259
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Actually, its surprising what you can get up and down on a FG BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO CHOICE!

I've BTDT... used to commute on a FG bike. ~60min ea way. Up and down some decent sized hills! (Alexandria/King's Park to Ffx Circle if yer wondering.)

M
Isn't the low control speed on the FG nice? ...

I love the no choice / no need to fiddle with some mechanism for a change.

Back to simpler things in life ... at least on the bicycle
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:42 PM   #260
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by koncha
I have regular brakes right now and I can't say I have ever felt the need for anything better since I stopped riding like a maniac. Is this something that I just don't know what I am missing?
Yeah, go with the discs.

I tried them once and immediately regretted trying them.

Even if you aren't hauling a trailer, the first time you get out in the rain or post-rain puddles you're gonna like 'em.

Damn discs.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:03 PM   #261
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
Yeah, go with the discs.

I tried them once and immediately regretted trying them.

Even if you aren't hauling a trailer, the first time you get out in the rain or post-rain puddles you're gonna like 'em.

Damn discs.
discs

Muy bueno

M
Old 07-31-2006, 08:21 PM   #262
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
I'd like all you cycle nerds to help me out with advice on bike style, and brand. I hear they're all made in China now anyway, even Cannondale....

Thanks.
TREK Still made in the good 'ole USA, I believe Wisconsin? Not sure but I know it's one of them Farming states.

I think Gary Fisher's (Mountain Bikes) are also still made here (at least mine is and it's a 2000 model)

I have no clue about what makes a good road bike, I've been riding Mountain Bikes for the last 18yrs (BMX Huffy's before that) started with a 5spd Mongoose, 18spd Univega, 21spd Schwinn, 21spd Giant and now my Fisher Marlin. I totally Love my Gary Fisher it's the best Bike I've ever ridden even though the Componetry isn't that great the frame geometry makes the bike more enjoyable than the top of the line Hardtails I've ridden.

I hope to start riding regulary again soon, I've been feeling much the same way you have. I fixed my bike 2months ago but it seems like I've either been out of town or busy with some other shit and not been able to hit the trails. Hopefully after I move I'll be able to get out more often.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:24 PM   #263
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder
TREK Still made in the good 'ole USA, I believe Wisconsin? Not sure but I know it's one of them Farming states.

I think Gary Fisher's (Mountain Bikes) are also still made here (at least mine is and it's a 2000 model)

I have no clue about what makes a good road bike, I've been riding Mountain Bikes for the last 18yrs (BMX Huffy's before that) started with a 5spd Mongoose, 18spd Univega, 21spd Schwinn, 21spd Giant and now my Fisher Marlin. I totally Love my Gary Fisher it's the best Bike I've ever ridden even though the Componetry isn't that great the frame geometry makes the bike more enjoyable than the top of the line Hardtails I've ridden.

I hope to start riding regulary again soon, I've been feeling much the same way you have. I fixed my bike 2months ago but it seems like I've either been out of town or busy with some other shit and not been able to hit the trails. Hopefully after I move I'll be able to get out more often.

Treks are made in Wisconsin, Taiwan or China.

Trek also owns Klein, LeMond and Gary Fisher.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:12 PM   #264
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,516
Quote:
Treks are made in Wisconsin, Taiwan or China.

Trek also owns Klein, LeMond and Gary Fisher.
I'm not positive on this, but I think only the OCLV frames, carbon/aluminum frames are made in the states. Maybe some of the high end alumunim ones too. Unfortuanately, virtually all of the components and lower end frames come from overseas.

But, it is still an American company and the town of Waterloo, WI would be much different without them. Plus the countless dealers in the states who make a living with Trek products.
2whlrcr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:16 PM   #265
koncha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr
I'm not positive on this, but I think only the OCLV frames, carbon/aluminum frames are made in the states. Maybe some of the high end alumunim ones too. Unfortuanately, virtually all of the components and lower end frames come from overseas.

But, it is still an American company and the town of Waterloo, WI would be much different without them. Plus the countless dealers in the states who make a living with Trek products.
I heard the same thing about the frames.

My current bike is a Trek. It has held up really well for almost 14 years in some harsh conditions. Like a year in Mexico where I would ride about 15 miles a day, everyday. The bearings are currently shot, again, and the races are worn. Rims are bent and tires are shot. I wore the sucker out.

I am leaning towards another Trek but the one I am looking at is made in China. The comparable Specialized is made in Taiwan.

I don't know.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:31 PM   #266
Bert
Fair / Balanced

Oddometer: 56,321
Quote:
I heard the same thing about the frames.

My current bike is a Trek. It has held up really well for almost 14 years in some harsh conditions. Like a year in Mexico where I would ride about 15 miles a day, everyday. The bearings are currently shot, again, and the races are worn. Rims are bent and tires are shot. I wore the sucker out.

I am leaning towards another Trek but the one I am looking at is made in China. The comparable Specialized is made in Taiwan.

I don't know.
I love mine too, a Pilot 5.0 which has the OCLV carbon frame. I hope it lasts like yours.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:34 PM   #267
CGH
Polluting the ether

Oddometer: 20,207
Quote:
A little advice please. Not that there is any shortage of that around here...

I am looking for a new bike. It will stay on pavement 99% of the time. The other 1% will be hardpack, flat trails. I will be pulling a Burley trailer with my 1 year old in it about 50% of the time. Currently I am riding a 1992 Trek 820 mountain bike. I have taken decent care of it but it is showing its age.

So, I have narrowed it down to 2 bikes that should do everything I want.

Trek 7.3 FX:

The picture shows it with disc brakes but the one I want has standard brakes.

or

Specialized Sirrus:
I don't know squat about either of those bikes (I like these), but I echo the comments re: discs ... get them.

Aside from that, the most fun I have ever had biking was dragging my two kids around in a trailer, mostly through the forest, over rocks, etc. Squeals of laughter, and lots of, "Faster daddy, faster" with me thinking my heart is about to burst.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:38 PM   #268
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert
I love mine too, a Pilot 5.0 which has the OCLV carbon frame. I hope it lasts like yours.
Damn Bert, I had you pegged for a unicyclist.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:40 PM   #269
Bert
Fair / Balanced

Oddometer: 56,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Damn Bert, I had you pegged for a unicyclist.

Now that I'm eligible for Social Security I've put down the tools of ignorance. Don't know that I ever had the balancing skills for a Unicycle though.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:45 PM   #270
koncha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert
That is a super nice bike. I wish that was in the budget but I am probably going to get something cheaper/less expensive.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: