Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 265 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #27091
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
no KOM, a buddy tells me I run at a fast walk.
At least, you're out there doing something. I've been walking 6mi, every decent day I can. The dogs like it, too.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #27092
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
In the Strava "Activity Feed" window, click the "more" button after the Facebook and Twitter symbols.
Select "embed in blog"
Copy all the goofy looking text that pops up in the little window.

Here in ADV, in the Reply window, click the A/A in the white square in the upper right corner, above the Smilies group.
Paste what you copied from Strava here to adv and it's in.

no KOM, a buddy tells me I run at a fast walk.
Thanks! I hit every button except the A/A, I didn't even see it until I started looking for that specifically. About to go to a meeting, but in a bit I will post a ride in which I was 91st out of 91 people
Old 01-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #27093
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,655
i didn't say you "claimed" that; i was merely pointing out the poor justification you made for upgrading based on the better performance you get from better wheels.

perhaps when you learn enough to listen and aren't looking for an argument (about something you're just beginning to learn about?!) it won't seem like you find an argument everywhere. in the meantime, you just make people sorry they tried to help you, and you get to make all the mistakes yourself.
it might be funny, if it weren't so sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I never said it would. Like some others here, you seem intent on arguing against claims I never made.

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #27094
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

This is the ride that got me back into riding a MTB. And it almost killed me.

Nevermind the two crashes, one of which I still have a scar on my shoulder from. It was, well, it was everything. First, I was much too out of shape for this ride. I had been running for about a year prior to this trip, and had it not been for that I do not know what would have happened on the trail. Even though, my legs and my lungs were not up for this task. I live at about 400 feet ASL, this trailhead is at 10K feet! And goes up 1,000 feet more right at the start! Second, water management. The ride was 20 miles, at altitude, in summer; I had 1,500 mL of water. Looking at the topo maps we did not realize how rough this trail was going to be. That first 1,000 foot climb didn't look that bad when we were planning the trip But it was, and it drained me before we ever really started. Oh yeah, summer. It was about 68 degrees when we started the ride, but when we were on the descent into Taos it was 95

So, without embellishing the story, I very easily could have died up there that day. And I loved every minute of it

South Boundary Trail between Angle Fire and Taos if anyone is interested. Good fun, and I would ride it again, maybe at the end of summer once I have had time to get my legs back in shape
Old 01-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #27095
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post

Nevermind the two crashes, one of which I still have a scar on my shoulder from. It was, well, it was everything. First, I was much too out of shape for this ride. I had been running for about a year prior to this trip, and had it not been for that I do not know what would have happened on the trail. Even though, my legs and my lungs were not up for this task. I live at about 400 feet ASL, this trailhead is at 10K feet! And goes up 1,000 feet more right at the start! Second, water management. The ride was 20 miles, at altitude, in summer; I had 1,500 mL of water. Looking at the topo maps we did not realize how rough this trail was going to be. That first 1,000 foot climb didn't look that bad when we were planning the trip But it was, and it drained me before we ever really started. Oh yeah, summer. It was about 68 degrees when we started the ride, but when we were on the descent into Taos it was 95

So, without embellishing the story, I very easily could have died up there that day. And I loved every minute of it

South Boundary Trail between Angle Fire and Taos if anyone is interested. Good fun, and I would ride it again, maybe at the end of summer once I have had time to get my legs back in shape
"There are no achievements on this ride."

I guess you need to try harder....

JK...good job
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #27096
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
"There are no achievements on this ride."

I guess you need to try harder....

JK...good job

Nope, that was max effort
Old 01-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #27097
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,861
That's great mileage.
I've about come up with a new longer route here from the hotel since I heard the other day I will be here longer than I thought.
I plan on going walking and my version of running as I can. This past week has been a recovery from some cold/flu-like fun and working way too long of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
At least, you're out there doing something. I've been walking 6mi, every decent day I can. The dogs like it, too.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #27098
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,861
Nice one! And sticking with it is great.

Next trip home that I have time I'm going to get on the old mtb and see how far up the dirt I can get before I puke.
My next trip home though I have to do a load of maintenance on the big Adventure since that thing is going to get put back under my butt come mid-March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post

Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #27099
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
i didn't say you "claimed" that; i was merely pointing out the poor justification you made for upgrading based on the better performance you get from better wheels.

perhaps when you learn enough to listen and aren't looking for an argument (about something you're just beginning to learn about?!) it won't seem like you find an argument everywhere. in the meantime, you just make people sorry they tried to help you, and you get to make all the mistakes yourself.
it might be funny, if it weren't so sad.
You seem confused about a number of things. First, I wasn't asking for 'help'. How you got the idea that I was soliciting advice from you or anyone else by announcing a forthcoming equipment upgrade is a mystery to me. Secondly, my only 'argument' is with the blind and unthinking pronouncement that better equipment has nothing to do with better performance; that 'it's %100 about the rider.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #27100
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Jesus H Christ - let it go will ya
Is that advice intended for me, or for the half dozen people who keep posting about it, including you?

Quote:
Why did you even post that you were rich enough to splash out on some super duper components if you didn't want feedback from guys in this thread who clearly have more experience than you ?
I posted it for the same reason that others post about things things they've done or plan to do to their bikes. Doing that doesn't mean they're asking for anyone's advice or opinion on the matter. These clues may prove useful to you in future, so pay close attention. If I say, "Do you think I should do X?", you can be fairly sure I'm soliciting an opinion. On the other hand, if I say, "I'm going to do X", you can be fairly sure I'm not. It's really pretty simple.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #27101
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,831

#$%$ winter! I wanna be where Mr Head is right now.

...having said that, knobbies + dirt roads that are snowy/icy =

M
Old 01-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #27102
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,297
I've given up for the winer... last winter I was able to ride every weekend, but with the ice and snow on our rock infested, frozen trails... no thanks.

I did some lift-served riding last rummer aboard my Reign and then rented a proper DH rig. Big difference (obviously). Only thing is at 6'7", I cannot really fit on a downhill bike, so I'm looking at options to make my reign a little more suited for bombing. Thinking a thicker stantion fork, as fork flex was the biggest thing i noticed... just not sure the frame could handle the extra stress? Somtimes being a giant blows.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #27103
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,655
forgive us from trying to save you from yourself!

seems you've learned everything there is to learn in what, a year?
even odder, heck, you can't even keep straight who it is you're trying to argue with about what!

some people are here to share their experiences; i pulled you out of the spot you earned on the Ignore list (when you first showed up poking at people) after i gave you the benefit of the doubt that you might have become one of the people that was interested in and capable of sharing.
now it seems you don't have anything worthwhile to share, and don't want any help, so i won't make that mistake again for a while!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
You seem confused about a number of things. First, I wasn't asking for 'help'. How you got the idea that I was soliciting advice from you or anyone else by announcing a forthcoming equipment upgrade is a mystery to me. Secondly, my only 'argument' is with the blind and unthinking pronouncement that better equipment has nothing to do with better performance; that 'it's %100 about the rider.

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #27104
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,297
In an attempt to keep this thread moving....

I've given up for the winter... last winter I was able to ride every weekend, but with the ice and snow on our rock infested, frozen trails... no thanks.

I did some lift-served riding last rummer aboard my Reign and then rented a proper DH rig. Big difference (obviously). Only thing is at 6'7", I cannot really fit on a downhill bike, so I'm looking at options to make my reign a little more suited for bombing. Thinking a thicker stantion fork, as fork flex was the biggest thing i noticed... just not sure the frame could handle the extra stress? Somtimes being a giant blows.

Side note: any of you guys actually ride the downhill courses? Holy shit.... We accidentally had a liftie point us down the world cup course our first run. Those guys/girls you see on pinkbike riding downhill professionally are off their f'in rockers... I can tell you the camera's do NO justice to the course. Below pic is of me on easiest of the trails on the last run, I was spent.

Tallbastid screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 12:23 PM
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #27105
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
To get the rear derailluer to shift to the smallest cog, it would need to be slack/no tension. Maybe, he meant the cable gets pulled, when the suspension compresses.
Could be. On the Superfly, the cable runs along to top of the downtube and swingarm, whereas on my Stumpumper, the cable runs along the bottom of the downtube and through the swingarm. FWIW, I've never had these problems with the Stumpjumper.

Quote:
Also, when a drivetrain is loaded, it'll many times react differently than on the stand. My first road bike was that way (Shimano-go figure). Hopefully, this will all work out for you.
I've brought the bike to three dealerships (two of them Trek stores, and one independent) to try to fix it, and each time I have to explain to the techs that the problem doesn't appear until you start pedaling hard; that's when the chain starts grinding and slipping from one gear to another. It has never been trouble free, but it's MUCH worse now that I'm doing some very steep climbs. Making periodic adjustments to the cable tension improves things, but only temporarily. The most irritating thing about it all is that no one has ever been able to find anything wrong, which means that these problems would simply continue indefinitely. Hopefully by this time next month, that will all be a thing of the past.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: