User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #27106
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,400

I got out for a couple of hours this morning with the studded tires. It was 20F or so. The ice is barely thick enough to feel safe, but I went around without falling through... Hopefully, we'll get a solid freeze before winter's over...
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #27107
championsound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I've brought the bike to three dealerships (two of them Trek stores, and one independent) to try to fix it, and each time I have to explain to the techs that the problem doesn't appear until you start pedaling hard; that's when the chain starts grinding and slipping from one gear to another. It has never been trouble free, but it's MUCH worse now that I'm doing some very steep climbs. Making periodic adjustments to the cable tension improves things, but only temporarily. The most irritating thing about it all is that no one has ever been able to find anything wrong, which means that these problems would simply continue indefinitely. Hopefully by this time next month, that will all be a thing of the past.
Without the bike in front of me it's tough to call but...

Is your rear wheel secure enough in the rear dropouts? Could be that rear wheel is creeping a bit. I've worked on enough racers bikes to see the rear dropouts get ovalized from the riders putting out serious wattage. It's not common, but I've seen it.

Another thing to take into consideration is bottom bracket flex, as in deflection side to side. I've flipped over the bars one too many times from the chain jumping off the cassette/chainring teeth from this exact reason, which why I don't ride carbon frames.

Just a thought.
championsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #27108
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
A friend whom I started riding with last fall wants to do the Ironman ride at the end of April:
https://www.facebook.com/minnesotaironmanbicycleride

I told him OK, unless there's snow, ice or torrential rain.

He texted me today and wants to do the Almanzo in May...

I don't know if I need to invite that much misery into my life....
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #27109
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,571
I just heard my assignment here is extended thru May. Guess I'll let them pay me to move a couple of bicycles here when I find the new digs.
Had to order a battery fro the Adventure. nearly four years of constant travel have taken a toll. I only got 10,000 miles on the motorcycle in the last 15 months.
Well, dirt and such are here. It always could be worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

#$%$ winter! I wanna be where Mr Head is right now.

...having said that, knobbies + dirt roads that are snowy/icy =

M
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #27110
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
He texted me today and wants to do the Almanzo in May...
Tell him to man up and quit being a pussy.

http://almanzo.com/blog/posts/well-hello-there/

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #27111
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Tell him to man up and quit being a pussy.

http://almanzo.com/blog/posts/well-hello-there/

Holy crap!!!! You're alive.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:31 AM   #27112
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by championsound View Post
Without the bike in front of me it's tough to call but...

Is your rear wheel secure enough in the rear dropouts? Could be that rear wheel is creeping a bit. I've worked on enough racers bikes to see the rear dropouts get ovalized from the riders putting out serious wattage. It's not common, but I've seen it.

Another thing to take into consideration is bottom bracket flex, as in deflection side to side. I've flipped over the bars one too many times from the chain jumping off the cassette/chainring teeth from this exact reason, which why I don't ride carbon frames.

Just a thought.
The problem has been with me almost from the start, and back when I bought it (March 2012), I was still recovering from a broken hip, so I wasn't able to pedal that hard. Fiddling with the barrel adjuster always cured it, but only for about two rides, and then it would start up again. I've had no problems with the gears in front; only the ones in back.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:36 AM   #27113
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Only thing is at 6'7", I cannot really fit on a downhill bike
What frame size fits someone of your height?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:01 AM   #27114
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Holy crap!!!! You're alive.
For a few more hours anyway.

http://www.noquemanon.com/snow-bike/

I've skied it before. If conditions are solid, should be way more fun on a bike!
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #27115
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
What frame size fits someone of your height?
My XL reign does a pretty good job, I know I look too big for it still but it feels like it fits. I have 2" riser bars to help my back. I grew up riding bmx bikes so I actually like having a smaller frame than I probably should. I really wanted a reign x, but since they only go up to large, I didn't feel like spending that coin on a clown bike. Came of a large rockhopper before my reign, the Xl felt too big.

Next time around I'd like to test a 29er before I buy.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #27116
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
My XL reign does a pretty good job, I know I look too big for it still but it feels like it fits. I have 2" riser bars to help my back. I grew up riding bmx bikes so I actually like having a smaller frame than I probably should. I really wanted a reign x, but since they only go up to large, I didn't feel like spending that coin on a clown bike. Came of a large rockhopper before my reign, the Xl felt too big.

Biggest rider I ever met stood 6'-5', and weighed about 300 lbs. My 19.5" frame 29er looked tiny with him on it.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #27117
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I did some lift-served riding last rummer aboard my Reign and then rented a proper DH rig. Big difference (obviously). Only thing is at 6'7", I cannot really fit on a downhill bike, so I'm looking at options to make my reign a little more suited for bombing. Thinking a thicker stantion fork, as fork flex was the biggest thing i noticed... just not sure the frame could handle the extra stress? Somtimes being a giant blows.
Devinci offer an XL DH rig.

I wouldn't dream of upgrading your Reign for that type of terrain. You've got a really nice bike, for what it was designed for. Furthermore, you're talking a substantial amount of money, when going to the big tube forks that are suited for the job. Then, you gotta' look at the impacts you'll be subjecting the bike to. When you start breaking stuff or finding other shortcomings, you'll be spending more money. If you think you'll be doing that type of riding, on a regular basis, it makes sense to by the proper piece of equipment.

Quote:

At your size, you'll find wheel flex to be the biggest 29er issue. I'd plan $1000 on a proper wheelset purchase, as well.

There's plenty of "big guy" info on the MTB forums. It's my understanding that Foes is the bike of choice, as they have their linkage ratio (2.3:1) setup to be very progressive (gets stiffer further into travel).
Old 01-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #27118
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The problem has been with me almost from the start, and back when I bought it (March 2012), I was still recovering from a broken hip, so I wasn't able to pedal that hard. Fiddling with the barrel adjuster always cured it, but only for about two rides, and then it would start up again. I've had no problems with the gears in front; only the ones in back.
Woke up this morning and thought "B screw.". If this is set too far in, it'll actually unwrap the chain from the cog. The smaller the cog, the less teeth engaged, and the more apt for the chain to skip. Generally, ~5mm is the gap you want from the derailluer pulley to the smallest cog. However, you can adjust this tighter, so long as pulley doesn't get into any of the cogs and it still shifts fine. Experiment with this setting, by backing it out.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #27119
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
For a few more hours anyway.

http://www.noquemanon.com/snow-bike/

I've skied it before. If conditions are solid, should be way more fun on a bike!
Good luck and have fun!
Old 01-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #27120
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Devinci offer an XL DH rig.

I wouldn't dream of upgrading your Reign for that type of terrain. You've got a really nice bike, for what it was designed for. Furthermore, you're talking a substantial amount of money, when going to the big tube forks that are suited for the job. Then, you gotta' look at the impacts you'll be subjecting the bike to. When you start breaking stuff or finding other shortcomings, you'll be spending more money. If you think you'll be doing that type of riding, on a regular basis, it makes sense to by the proper piece of equipment.

At your size, you'll find wheel flex to be the biggest 29er issue. I'd plan $1000 on a proper wheelset purchase, as well.

There's plenty of "big guy" info on the MTB forums. It's my understanding that Foes is the bike of choice, as they have their linkage ratio (2.3:1) setup to be very progressive (gets stiffer further into travel).

Thanks ducnut. As much fun as it was, I can't justify a dh rig for the few times a summer I'll use it. Figure I'll either use my reign and go slower or rent a too small dh bike when I go. Santa Cruz makes a Xl v10 dh sled, but it's approaching $8k

I'm actually technically 6'8" and around 275 lbs, but I've been told I ride very smoothly, and have been perfectly happy with my reign. I think if I started plowing stuff, I'd break things quickly, but I just don't seem to ride like that. Suspension travel has been great, though my rear shock is at max psi and I have managed a few bottom outs off a 4' drop to ride out that is on my normal loop. Although I don't plan on buying another bike for 2-3 seasons, I'll give foes a look.

The only real issue I have is on long, intense dh runs at speed... I get a lot of lower back pain. Just comes with being a giant I guess.

Tallbastid screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 08:23 AM
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: