Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 311 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #27166
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 2,035
Snow rides

Ride bikes with your friends. Good to see you FFs out there in it! Here's how we start the new year around here:

Sadly, that's the most snow we've had in almost 2 years.
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #27167
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 2,035
54cm frames

Riders,

I have a couple 54s for sale over in the FM:

CAAD7/Record
S-Works Tricross CX brand new full carbon F/F/HS with S-works carbon crankset/post

Ane now, back to your off-season riding season!
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #27168
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
What is the temp when you wear that? If it is over 60-65 I wear a pair of board shorts, and a MTB specific Alpinestar jersey I picked up cheap from Huck 'n Roll before they were bought out. In only that I still work up a sweat. Granted, on the MTB I am likely going slower so less windchill to contend with.
That'd be what I'll wear when its in the mid-40s. Add a thicker wool layer when its 30-ish. Delete the Phantom and substitute a piece of plastic under my jersey when it gets 50-ish.

M
Old 01-31-2013, 06:34 AM   #27169
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
@Ridge: it ain't so bad once you convince yourself to get out the door. Getting out the door is the hard part. DAMHIK
Eff that... there's a reason I don't live above the Mason-Dixon Line...
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:59 AM   #27170
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,995
Quote:
Very easy to do. I practically always overdress and I'm down to a mesh base, then a thin wool layer, then a Gore Phantom. STILL get too farging hot. I had to sell my Assos jacket 'cause I just couldn't wear it without getting too hot. Too bad 'cause that was a fantastic bit of kit.

I'm not saying nuthing. Nope not a darn thing about excess tonnage. Nope. I wouldn't do that.

No wet, but LOTS of wind around here.

M
Cheeky bastid...actually, the valve stem gave way - first puncture I've had on the rollers in about 2K miles...

Sadly, not much chanced to get out today - it's certainly warm enough but it's windy as all hell.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:29 AM   #27171
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Cheeky bastid...actually, the valve stem gave way - first puncture I've had on the rollers in about 2K miles...
Love you too mang!

Quote:
Sadly, not much chanced to get out today - it's certainly warm enough but it's windy as all hell.
Going to be in the mid-40s here today. Normal for this area, but effing COLD after the last few days of 60s. D'ya know how much easier it is to get motivated to go riding when its 60deg vs 40deg? Do you?!

M
Old 01-31-2013, 08:03 AM   #27172
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,856
Why Aluminum not steel Bikes??

Normal broadcasting will be resumed asap....

Some time in the past, the world seemed to switch from mass produced steel alloy frames to aluminum alloy for the now ubiquitous "mountain bicycle". What was the main reason for this? Are aluminum alloy bikes much lighter and/or stronger than steel, was it to do with lower manufacturing costs or other factors?? Been away from bikes for decades so am playing catch up. Interested in all your thoughts, thanks.

(Srry if 205)

overlandr screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 08:08 AM
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:08 AM   #27173
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
Some time in the past, I the world seemed to switch from mass produced steel alloy frames to aluminum alloy for the now ubiquitous "mountain bicycle". What was the main reason for this? Are aluminum alloy bikes much lighter and/or stronger than steel, was it to do with lower manufacturing costs or other factors?? Been away from bikes for decades so am playing catch up. Interested in all your thoughts, thanks.

(Srry if 205)
AL is cheaper/easier to work with than steel for one. Its also seen as more 'modern' for another. ...but most of the 'good' mtn bikes are migrating to carbon fiber (aka plastic) these days.

That's vastly oversimplifying things, but you get the point

M
Old 01-31-2013, 08:28 AM   #27174
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Some time in the past, the world seemed to switch from mass produced steel alloy frames to aluminum alloy for the now ubiquitous "mountain bicycle". What was the main reason for this? Are aluminum alloy bikes much lighter and/or stronger than steel, was it to do with lower manufacturing costs or other factors?? Been away from bikes for decades so am playing catch up. Interested in all your thoughts, thanks.
The raw material in aluminum is easier/cheaper to source, for Asian manufacturers. Aluminum is much stiffer, pound for pound. However, there are still a lot of steel hardtails available, because steel is so compliant. In addition, to what "Gummee!" said.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:48 AM   #27175
overlandr
Dystopist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
The raw material in aluminum is easier/cheaper to source, for Asian manufacturers. Aluminum is much stiffer, pound for pound. However, there are still a lot of steel hardtails available, because steel is so compliant. In addition, to what "Gummee!" said.
Not really interested in production costs per se. So one would assume that aluminum frames would be lighter then steel for the same ultimate strength? Do people know of many fractured Al or Fe frames??
Old 01-31-2013, 08:53 AM   #27176
overlandr
Dystopist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Quote:
AL is cheaper/easier to work with than steel for one. Its also seen as more 'modern' for another. ...but most of the 'good' mtn bikes are migrating to carbon fiber (aka plastic) these days.

That's vastly oversimplifying things, but you get the point

M
Thanks. Compliant? Like durable - able to take hits? Not interested in CF as its way out there on my material spectrum! More interested in two mtb bikes, both 26" wheels 18speed, and

i Al butted ~ 2005 and
ii Fe ~ late 1980s lugged frames (both same geometry)

Is the choice primarily dictated by fashion or something more meaningful like weight, UTS, durability etc??
Old 01-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #27177
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks. Not interested in CF as its way out there on my material spectrum! More interested in two mtb bikes, both 26" wheels 18speed, and

i Al butted ~ 2005 and
ii Fe ~ late 1980s lugged frames (both same geometry)

Is the choice primarily dictated by fashion or something more meaningful like weight, UTS, durability etc??
Of those two, I'd take the late-model one, every time. Componentry has come a long way, since the 80's.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #27178
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,302
Quote:
Normal broadcasting will be resumed asap....

(Srry if 205)
I once asked this very question of a mechanical engineer who had considerable experience in both design and manufacturing. His response was that while it's possible to manufacture steel tubing every bit as light as aluminum, the steel would have to be made so thin that it would be virtually impossible to weld without destroying it. The second reason he gave is that while aluminum tubing can be just as strong as steel tubing of equal weight, aluminum is by nature less prone to bend under stress than steel. Since frame flex is an undesirable trait for a bicycle, the combined virtues of lightness and stiffness of aluminum makes it a better choice than steel.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #27179
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I once asked this very question of a mechanical engineer who had considerable experience in both design and manufacturing. His response was that while it's possible to manufacture steel tubing every bit as light as aluminum, the steel would have to be made so thin that it would be virtually impossible to weld without destroying it. The second reason he gave is that while aluminum tubing can be just as strong as steel tubing of equal weight, aluminum is by nature less prone to bend under stress than steel. Since frame flex is an undesirable trait for a bicycle, the combined virtues of lightness and stiffness of aluminum makes it a better choice than steel.
Aluminum is less able to withstand long term cyclic loading than steel, which is why the failure rate in aluminum frames is greater. That said my daily ride is aluminum, but I wouldn't say that aluminum is a better frame choice than steel. If you factor in cost and performance than I would agree, but based only on the virtues of lightness & stiffness I'd say no.

KVA, Columbus, Reynolds, Dedaccai all make amazing steel tube sets that can be brazed, tig'd, or fillet brazed. Lower end Columbus Zona has a top tube drawn to .5mm, it is also affordable. One of my steel rides is sub 16lbs, quite stiff, and very comfortable. Aluminum can be a compromise in the comfort department depending on the frame & tubeset. I like all bikes, and all frame materials, although bamboo does nothing for me.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #27180
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Since frame flex is an undesirable trait for a bicycle, the combined virtues of lightness and stiffness of aluminum makes it a better choice than steel.
For sure, in a full-suspension MTB. But for an everyday road bike or hardtail MTB, I'll take the compliant ride of steel.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: