Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #27301
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,542
Flat, a little windy and no money.

When I don't have any particular place to go, I'll ride over to the store on the Indian Reservation. It's about 22 miles there and I generaly stop at the store and have a Gatoraid & crackers while talking to the kids who always have questions about the bike.

I went off and forgot my wallet today so there was no stopping. Instead, I decided to try and hold a 20 mph average. The route is fairly flat but it was a little windy which made it a little more difficult. My gps is set to stop the timer when I stop so I decided to ride w/o putting a foot down. I can count six lights each way but none of them come into play on the out route and only two of them are really in play on the return. Those two are left-hand turns and on both of these "on-demand" lights, there was traffic who turned the light for me. The rest was a matter of timing. I'd slow up knowing that they'd change pretty quickly.

Happy to have accomplished my 20 mph esp as a solitary rider.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #27302
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Happy to have accomplished my 20 mph esp as a solitary rider.
That's hauling the mail Gerry. Do you use a fairing or windshield on your bent?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #27303
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
That's hauling the mail Gerry. Do you use a fairing or windshield on your bent?
No - but I seem to be sportin an ever so small, aero-belly these days. Does that count?

There's a new bike shop in Florida that some friends of mine are starting up - John and Jacquie Schlitter - who are both extraordinary riders. They've each ridden 400+ miles in 24 hours on multiple occasions and were part of a RAAM team.

Anyway, they've asked many of the leading recumbent riders in the US to become part of Team Vite - their bike shop will be called Vite Bikes.

Vite is supposed to be French for speedy and I believe it's pronounced "Veet". Anyway, for some unknown reason, they must have needed an old, slow but determined brevet rider so I was invited to join "the team". Part of the deal included a free jersey and...well.... mine is just a tad too small.

Or, another way of looking at it is that I'm a tad too large.

I really need to drop 10 pounds.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #27304
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,724
Noice!
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:58 AM   #27305
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,571
Awesome!

I need to drop another twenty, but my jeans fit again!

We used to refer to our shape as the Aero-Pear(TM)

Quote:
No - but I seem to be sportin an ever so small, aero-belly these days. Does that count?

There's a new bike shop in Florida that some friends of mine are starting up - John and Jacquie Schlitter - who are both extraordinary riders. They've each ridden 400+ miles in 24 hours on multiple occasions and were part of a RAAM team.

Anyway, they've asked many of the leading recumbent riders in the US to become part of Team Vite - their bike shop will be called Vite Bikes.

Vite is supposed to be French for speedy and I believe it's pronounced "Veet". Anyway, for some unknown reason, they must have needed an old, slow but determined brevet rider so I was invited to join "the team". Part of the deal included a free jersey and...well.... mine is just a tad too small.

Or, another way of looking at it is that I'm a tad too large.

I really need to drop 10 pounds.
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:19 AM   #27306
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Awesome!

I need to drop another twenty, but my jeans fit again!

We used to refer to our shape as the Aero-Pear(TM)
I may never get back to the 30" waist jeans I wore in college, but I'm back down to 32-33" jeans.

Weight's still coming off, but slowly oh so slowly

M
Old 02-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #27307
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,097
+1

yippee . After becoming quite the couch dweller last quarter of 2012, Jan/Feb 2013 have been much better. Between the TDF trainer and road riding I got 360 miles thus far. I know not really much but I've been pedaling almost daily. Dropped 10lbs and pants are fitting better.

Went with continental gran prix 4 seasons in 28mm width for the Pistola. 28 miles Saturday and 26 yesterday on the new tires. Pumped up to 90 psi felt good. Roll fast , not too harsh , we will see about flat proofedness... 13 miles of 15+ mph headwinds on the ride/limp home yesterday.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #27308
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
13 miles of 15+ mph headwinds on the ride/limp home yesterday.
At least we don't have snow.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #27309
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I may never get back to the 30" waist jeans I wore in college, but I'm back down to 32-33" jeans.

M
I've been on a pretty solid program lately of spin classes/core strength sessions and now, finally, some actual serious riding. Last weekend's effort was 40 miles and 4200 feet of climbing.

I'm at 190, but would prefer to be at 175. I'm using my old Weight Watchers protocols in combination with insane amounts of exercise and figure I should get there. Bicycling magazine had an article about determining your ideal riding weight and I think I was right there in the 170s, so that's where I'm headed.

I'm starting to accumulate some serious leg muscles, so I'm sure that will have a bearing on the number on the scale, but the goal is to pedal around as little useless Kbasa as possible.

The Death Ride is in July, so I should be in pretty stellar condition by that time if I stay with it. I'm riding for Team in Training again, so I don't think I have much choice - this ride will be mine and all the gloating rights that go with it.

Screw Cancer! Ride Bikes!

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #27310
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
At least we don't have snow.

This week is going to be pretty average for where I am. Highs approaching 60 but lows in the mid 30s in the morning. Sucks because I won't ride the motorcycle to work (I freeze at those temps, my gear isn't good enough). But awesome in that I can head out to the MTB trail in the afternoon and work up a sweat. I have learned not to complain about the summers though and to just ride in the late evening, it is what it is. I went for a 6 mile MTB ride this past summer at 2 PM. I made it 3 miles and had already gone through my water. I took the shortcut back to the car. It was only 105 that day.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #27311
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,806
http://www.strava.com/shop

No, I don't know anyone who could use this stuff

RxZ (uses Strava for keeping track of workouts)
Old 02-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #27312
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

I have no illusions of getting down to racing weight again. but I'll be fine at 15 over that.
when I got out of HS I wore 28 waist and somehow had to by 36" inseams to get them to be long enough. Button fly shrink them yourself days. $4.95. That might have been a while ago.
I weighed almost 120 pounds if I hd a big belt buckle and a lot of change in my pocket.

My aero-belly is still with me.
Zero running or riding over the weekend. Instead I worked on the motorcycle, then rode it back to Phoenix. Cold for me. I have not been on a long ride in two years and haven't really been on the motorcycle for seven months other than two adventure coffee runs.

8 hours of riding in the cold and finally dark has me sore to the soles of me feet. Blisters are started on my throttle palm, and I ache all over. Who would have thought business travel by motorcycle would be such a workout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

M
Old 02-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #27313
k7
Ancien cyclist

does consistency count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
.......... I got 360 miles thus far. I know not really much but I've been pedaling almost daily. Dropped 10lbs and pants are fitting better.
I was curious as to my miles so far - and then compared the same period for last year.

Through Feb. 10th

2012..........545 miles
2013..........536 miles

At least I'm consistent. I'll add 125 miles on Saturday as part of our 200k brevet.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #27314
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
http://www.strava.com/shop

No, I don't know anyone who could use this stuff

RxZ (uses Strava for keeping track of workouts)
Old 02-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #27315
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,674
Quote:
I was curious as to my miles so far - and then compared the same period for last year.

Through Feb. 10th

2012..........545 miles
2013..........536 miles

At least I'm consistent. I'll add 125 miles on Saturday as part of our 200k brevet.
Like. We're out for a 50 on Saturday.

Anybody in NorCal riding the Grizzly Peak Century?

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: