Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #27331
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcycle View Post
I love MTBing in Sedona! This was Sedona as of a couple days ago. Taken by my pop from his front yard:
When I was living in Flag, we had a snowstorm every week on the weekend for weeks straight. Very pretty, but made for shitfer riding.

@Mr Head: LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of forest service roads up around Flag. IDK if they've been designated 'wilderness' yet or not though, so check before you head off on something motorized.

...and if you go to Flag, there's some great stops to make: breweries I like the Mogollon better than Beaver St but both make great beers. DAMHIK how effed up flatlanders can get on a pub crawl thru Flag.

Another place to take the family is down Bisbee/Tombstone way. Yeah, Tombstone's a tourist trap, but ya gotta go at least once.

M
Old 02-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #27332
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
When I was living in Flag, we had a snowstorm every week on the weekend for weeks straight. Very pretty, but made for shitfer riding.

@Mr Head: LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of forest service roads up around Flag. IDK if they've been designated 'wilderness' yet or not though, so check before you head off on something motorized.

...and if you go to Flag, there's some great stops to make: breweries I like the Mogollon better than Beaver St but both make great beers. DAMHIK how effed up flatlanders can get on a pub crawl thru Flag.

Another place to take the family is down Bisbee/Tombstone way. Yeah, Tombstone's a tourist trap, but ya gotta go at least once.

M
My one trip to Flag, I spent way too much time each night at Flag Brew. My cousin seemed to know everyone in town and they call kept buying us beers.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #27333
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
My one trip to Flag, I spent way too much time each night at Flag Brew. My cousin seemed to know everyone in town and they call kept buying us beers.
I don't doubt it. ...and being higher than Denver, you probably got hammered pretty darn quickly too!

Took me a while to get over that altitude. I moved to Flag from Morgan Hill, CA. IOW darn near sea level!

M
Old 02-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #27334
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,378
I've tapered off the alcohol for a bit, to compensate for not getting to ride. I can only run so far and the added calories of beer, wine and single malt would have me running all day.

So, I have a built in limiter right now. Plus it saves me money.

I sure hope to avoid any snow as well. I paid my snow dues in Denver. I do not miss snow.
I ridden motorcycles sidecars and bicycles, both road and mountain bikes in snow. Of all of those I prefer to see snow on the TV screen and not outside my door.

Two more days, and we'll see what this Sedona place is like now. I have not been there in about 40 years.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:34 AM   #27335
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,834
Shock servicing

There seems to be a disagreement as to how literally to follow the recommended service interval on bicycle shocks, which the manufacturer (Fox) lists as every 100 hours. Half the people I've spoken with say that all you really need to do is check the pressure every few weeks, keep the shock body clean, and check for signs of oil leakage. Others say that the shocks need to be disassembled and carefully checked for signs of component failure. Actual examples of mechanical failure are hard to find; so far I've only heard of two instances in which a shock needed repairs, and this comes from mechanics at one of the largest local dealerships.

So, what do y'all all think?

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:52 AM   #27336
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,072
I am in the "keep it clean and check air pressure prior to riding" school of thinking
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #27337
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

I have zero bicycle shock experience, but I have about a half million miles of Ohlins shock experience. Ohlins recommends a service interval of 30K miles I think.
I could be not remembering correctly but its the number that is stuck in my head, so I'm going with that.
Anyway. In my experience the danger is first the seals letting loose which in the case of an air spring means your suspension just went bye-bye. And any damping fluid may also gush out and make a very gooey mess.
The worst and most expensive I've experienced is where the seals go, and in my case I had a good bit of riding to do to get to where I could swap the shock out so the shaft was ruined.
That was the most expensive shock service by double over just a seal going or just the usual service interval.
I'm currently running well beyond my 30,000 mile service interval. The damping does feel a bit long in the tooth, but since I'm just commuting and don't plan on an immediate assault on Dakar I should be fine.

Until the seal blows.

"...honest it's ice cream!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
There seems to be a disagreement as to how literally to follow the recommended service interval on bicycle shocks, which the manufacturer (Fox) lists as every 100 hours. Half the people I've spoken with say that all you really need to do is check the pressure every few weeks, keep the shock body clean, and check for signs of oil leakage. Others say that the shocks need to be disassembled and carefully checked for signs of component failure. Actual examples of mechanical failure are hard to find; so far I've only heard of two instances in which a shock needed repairs, and this comes from mechanics at one of the largest local dealerships.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #27338
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

From the 'ya gotta love craigslist' files

So there's an ad for an Antares 00. The super-fancy carbon-railed jobbie. White. Guy wants $120 for it.

So I emailed him and asked if he wanted to trade. I offered him a choice of a Romin (butt-hatchet) or Prologo Scratch. (comfy) He came back with 'Romin & $30' which got the counter of Romin and $20.

I'm trading for a nifty Antares saddle here in about 2.5hrs wtih $20 in my grubby little fingers.

Only downside is I just re-wrapped my bars in light blue and am going to have to go white pretty soon. Oh well. Tape's only $11

M
Old 02-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #27339
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
I am in the "keep it clean and check air pressure prior to riding" school of thinking
^^^ +1

If you were really hard on your stuff, then, I can see frequent servicing. But, based on how I think you ride, that you have nice stuff and assume you take care of it, I would ride it until you start to see seal seapage or have some sort of internal failure.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #27340
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Now, if I can get housekeeping to stop re-arranging the pillows on the bed so I have to play find the pillow with enough stuffing to support my head every night, I'd count that as a KOM, game set and match.
Buy/bring your own. Waking up with so much neck pain that I couldn't reach the phone for help taught me that one.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #27341
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
^^^ +1

If you were really hard on your stuff, then, I can see frequent servicing. But, based on how I think you ride, that you have nice stuff and assume you take care of it, I would ride it until you start to see seal seapage or have some sort of internal failure.
I always become suspicious when I see factory service intervals like "100" hours. Why not 83.5 hours, or 157 hours? "100" sounds like a number pulled out of a hat. Having worked with engineers all of my professional career, I know only too well how ridiculously conservative their estimates tend to be. Legal liability is one reason for it. Another, more cynical one, is that manufacturers make money when shocks are sent back for servicing, so they have a financial incentive to specify very short service intervals.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #27342
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

I travel by motorcycle now days. Not a lot of room. I'm not your average BMW Steamer Trunk traveler. I only display part of the touratech catalog.
Heck I left my Kermit chair at home even!

They have a selection of five pillows plus that useless square frilly one every woman has to toss into the mix. Along with that stupid throw thing across the bottom of the bed. It seems like some sort of game where they hide the one good pillow behind three fluffy airy pillows for people with no neck injuries.

By the way, not riding a motorcycle for seven months, means my neck is unused to that big bucket catching wind on my head.

Ouch!

And while I'm whining, what is the deal with re-arranging my stuff on the counter?

I do have entirely too much crap with me, but it is the result of my hope to get some camping in.

Quote:
Buy/bring your own. Waking up with so much neck pain that I couldn't reach the phone for help taught me that one.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #27343
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,582
Quote:
I don't doubt it. ...and being higher than Denver, you probably got hammered pretty darn quickly too!

Took me a while to get over that altitude. I moved to Flag from Morgan Hill, CA. IOW darn near sea level!

M
Wasn't too bad, really. I was in pro form back then.

Since the arrival of YakSprout, my tolerance has dropped considerably.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #27344
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 707
Quote:

M

Born and raised in Flag. Stop, you're making me homesick!
Old 02-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #27345
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
^^^ +1

I should probably get my rear Fox shock worked on then. When I land hard, my legs get sprayed with a mist of oil. I think I'm pretty hard on my gear.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: