User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 158 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #27466
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,862
Anybody know anything about these pedals?

The price and specs looks almost too good to be true:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AEST-PDA07Ti...20983148279%26
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #27467
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Produced in China, no idea on the quality of ti alloy. I wouldn't use a Ti axle on a mountain bike, and wouldn't use an unvetted far east Ti part on anything. Just my $.02
Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #27468
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,484
They're *all* produced in China.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #27469
vfr700
172S

Yup, some have a track record though.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #27470
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
They're *all* produced in China.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #27471
vfr700
172S

Far east doesn't mean bad, but it doesn't mean good either. Breaking a spindle on a pedal ain't fun, been there, still have the scars. I'll spend my $$ on something that has R&D and a proven record, I don't care where it is produced.

vfr700 screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 09:19 AM
vfr700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #27472
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
Far east doesn't mean bad, but it doesn't mean good either. Breaking a spindle on a pedal ain't fun, been there, still have the scars. I'll spend my $$ on something that has R&D and a proven record, I don't care where it is produced.
What sucks worse is snapping a BBshaft on the chainring side... Chainrings....meet leg.....and by meet i mean maul.....LOL
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #27473
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The thing is, they may well have a proven record. Like many other products made in China, these pedals may be the same ones that sell for three times the price after a well known US retailer has slapped their own brand name on them. Or they could be junk.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #27474
vfr700
172S

Unless I see the same pedal produced under Look, Shimano, Time, Speedplay, Wellgo (and that family tree), etc I'd opt out. But that's just my unwillingness to put price point over the unknown. There are plenty of open mould, generic bits that I would use. Catastrophic failure in pedals, bars, stems, & seatposts are bad news, so I stick with the larger players & avoid the complete unknown.

This is stuff I've learned over the last 30+ years of racing, building bikes, & being in the bike business. I'm very conservative with some component choices.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #27475
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Unless I see the same pedal produced under Look, Shimano, Time, Speedplay, Wellgo (and that family tree), etc I'd opt out.
The top of the page lists them as: AEST PDA07Titanium Axle MTB Mountain BMX Bike Platform Flat Pedals Wellgo MG

I'm not sure what that means, though.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #27476
vfr700
172S

Wellgo produces for many brands, they probably have good QC, I'd give it a shot. I'm still leery about Ti spindles, but that's just my own issue.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #27477
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Wellgo produces for many brands, they probably have good QC, I'd give it a shot. I'm still leery about Ti spindles, but that's just my own issue.
What about the titanium spindles in Crank Brothers pedals?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #27478
vfr700
172S

I perfer steel, nothing wrong w/ CB pedals, but I'm not a fan of their design. I'm not a weight weenie, and see little to no gains in Ti pedal spindles, & fewer gains for off road. Over the years I've seen more Ti spindle failures than steel. Just my opinion, I think there are better places to spend money.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #27479
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I perfer steel, nothing wrong w/ CB pedals, but I'm not a fan of their design. I'm not a weight weenie, and see little to no gains in Ti pedal spindles, & fewer gains for off road. Over the years I've seen more Ti spindle failures than steel. Just my opinion, I think there are better places to spend money.
But I thought titanium was stronger than steel. Oh well, maybe you've saved me a few bucks.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #27480
vfr700
172S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
But I thought titanium was stronger than steel. Oh well, maybe you've saved me a few bucks.
Chances are you'll be fine with them, I'm apprehensive about a few things. Between commuting & racing I put a fair amount of miles on my equipment and generally get a long service life.

Back in the 70's/80's Campy had Ti spindles for pedals & bottom brackets offered as the Super Record SL, they constantly failed. We swapped back to the steel spec, and ate the gram savings. The Ti alloys are far superior these days, vendors such as Look & Speedplay for instance have rider weight limits for the Ti equipment. There are plenty of high mileage ti pedals in service, so perhaps it is 6 & 1/2? I also don't use carbon bars, or carbon railed saddles but they are common place today.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: