Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 498 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #27526
Slimie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
I have found my Edge 200 to be much less accurate than a properly calibrated cyclometer.
I'm interested to read this, I'd recently got close to swapping my CatEye for the Edge just to record where I'd ridden but this rather puts me off.

Well, that and the 100 it's going to cost me!

How far out do you reckon the GPS is?

With thanks,
-Simon
Slimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #27527
Nihon Newbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Saturday night I took delivery of my new Epic S-Works, which is fitted with SRAM's 1x11 drivetrain. Some observations I've made are as follows:
Pictures? This sounds awesome!
Nihon Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #27528
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimie View Post
I'm interested to read this, I'd recently got close to swapping my CatEye for the Edge just to record where I'd ridden but this rather puts me off.

With thanks,
-Simon
I only got it because my old Cateye shit the bed and would not reset after installing a new battery, plus I had a gift certificate from the bike shop. Oh and the sales girl showing the Garmin units was HOT. Now for the riding part. I have been out with my buds on the trails and for example the Edge is showing a 9.9 mph avg speed while theirs are showing around a 1mph faster average. The thing is they are going much slower and I am waiting on them at the intersections and tops of climbs. I thought it was a fluke, but more than 1 friend is showing a faster average speed, and I'm smoking these guys out there. Maybe it has something to do with the stop/start function set to stop every time I stop the bike to wait on them. Usually it restarts within 3 seconds after a switchback or pit stop. We all joke about it but it seems odd to be 1mph off over the course of a 10 mile mtb ride. On the road, I'm not sure how off it is as I always ride alone.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #27529
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimie View Post

With thanks,
-Simon
The GPS can't be that far off. I always compare mileage figures with those of the other riders in my group, and they're always within 1/10th of a mile of each other even after 20-25 miles.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #27530
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I only got it because my old Cateye shit the bed and would not reset after installing a new battery, plus I had a gift certificate from the bike shop. Oh and the sales girl showing the Garmin units was HOT. Now for the riding part. I have been out with my buds on the trails and for example the Edge is showing a 9.9 mph avg speed while theirs are showing around a 1mph faster average. The thing is they are going much slower and I am waiting on them at the intersections and tops of climbs. I thought it was a fluke, but more than 1 friend is showing a faster average speed, and I'm smoking these guys out there. Maybe it has something to do with the stop/start function set to stop every time I stop the bike to wait on them. Usually it restarts within 3 seconds after a switchback or pit stop. We all joke about it but it seems odd to be 1mph off over the course of a 10 mile mtb ride. On the road, I'm not sure how off it is as I always ride alone.
How many of you are using a wheel speed sensor with the GPS? If those aren't calibrated properly, you're going to get faulty readings.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #27531
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihon Newbie View Post
Pictures? This sounds awesome!
I'm charging my camera as we speak.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #27532
Slimie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,080
Quote:
Thank you!

However, I still feel a new toy calling me...

-Simon
Slimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #27533
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
After reading this, I remain hopeful about pro cycling's future.
I read that, a couple days ago. It's very promising. I'm looking forward to seeing this kid, in the TdF.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #27534
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,815
From Saturday....

The ride organizer took a few pictures from the Saturday ride.

While the diamond-frame is ahead of us, we quickly caught and dropped him on the way into Gila Bend. The road drops about 700 ft here and we had a tailwind. I was doing 26 to 38 and barely touching my pedals. I'm the middle rider in the picture.

k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #27535
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
How many of you are using a wheel speed sensor with the GPS? If those aren't calibrated properly, you're going to get faulty readings.
Now why would I need to use a wheel speed sensor with a GPS? Should I be using one in my car or on the motorcycles with the Zumo?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #27536
CatfishRacing
Just a rider.

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
Now why would I need to use a wheel speed sensor with a GPS? Should I be using one in my car or on the motorcycles with the Zumo?
My guess is you don't have a cadence sensor on the car or the motorcycle.

I use a 705 and 305 and have wheel speed sensors on most of my bikes.
I haven't been able to figure out how to make it work on the Moonlander.

Catfish
www.FarkleMasters.com
Sent via my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
IBA #12835
AMA Lifer
CatfishRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #27537
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,443
I'm pondering the ubiquitous cyclocross-ish dirt bike combined with some touring features. I know there's a pretty significant hybridization of those two styles, so I'm wondering what y'all would think. I'm thinking along the lines of a Cross Check or a Vaya.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #27538
Nihon Newbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
I'm pondering the ubiquitous cyclocross-ish dirt bike combined with some touring features. I know there's a pretty significant hybridization of those two styles, so I'm wondering what y'all would think. I'm thinking along the lines of a Cross Check or a Vaya.
My 2 cents...I toured with a father and son duo who did coast to coast in the US in 7.5 weeks. The son is a bike mechanic, and did the tour on a Cross Check that had panniers. He said it did great!
Nihon Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:45 AM   #27539
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Because speed calculations based solely on satellite transmissions are notoriously inaccurate. Even under the most ideal circumstances in which the GPS picks up a minimum of eight satellites, it's still only accurate to within 10 meters (32 feet). If you're riding a trail comprised of tight turns that fall within that margin of error, you're going to get false readings because the GPS will at times interpret those turns as straight segments. A wheel speed sensor can't be fooled that way: it will always measure the actual distance traveled.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #27540
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
re GPSes: that's not my experience, but YMMV

My $.02 on the matter: unless you're going mapping, power, or both, stick to a 'normal' cycling computer. Lots less $$. I'm planning on a Quarq this spring/summer so I went ahead and got myself an Edge 500.

Now that the new 510s are out without the need to plug it into the computer to upload files, I'd run you that way. All the connectivity BS that they've added doesn't do *me* any good, but it may someone else.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: