Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 319 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #27646
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,994
From Saturday....

The ride organizer took a few pictures from the Saturday ride.

While the diamond-frame is ahead of us, we quickly caught and dropped him on the way into Gila Bend. The road drops about 700 ft here and we had a tailwind. I was doing 26 to 38 and barely touching my pedals. I'm the middle rider in the picture.

k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #27647
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
How many of you are using a wheel speed sensor with the GPS? If those aren't calibrated properly, you're going to get faulty readings.
Now why would I need to use a wheel speed sensor with a GPS? Should I be using one in my car or on the motorcycles with the Zumo?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #27648
CatfishRacing
Just a rider.

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Now why would I need to use a wheel speed sensor with a GPS? Should I be using one in my car or on the motorcycles with the Zumo?
My guess is you don't have a cadence sensor on the car or the motorcycle.

I use a 705 and 305 and have wheel speed sensors on most of my bikes.
I haven't been able to figure out how to make it work on the Moonlander.

Catfish
www.FarkleMasters.com
Sent via my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
IBA #12835
AMA Lifer
CatfishRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #27649
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,578
I'm pondering the ubiquitous cyclocross-ish dirt bike combined with some touring features. I know there's a pretty significant hybridization of those two styles, so I'm wondering what y'all would think. I'm thinking along the lines of a Cross Check or a Vaya.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #27650
Nihon Newbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
I'm pondering the ubiquitous cyclocross-ish dirt bike combined with some touring features. I know there's a pretty significant hybridization of those two styles, so I'm wondering what y'all would think. I'm thinking along the lines of a Cross Check or a Vaya.
My 2 cents...I toured with a father and son duo who did coast to coast in the US in 7.5 weeks. The son is a bike mechanic, and did the tour on a Cross Check that had panniers. He said it did great!
Nihon Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:45 AM   #27651
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Because speed calculations based solely on satellite transmissions are notoriously inaccurate. Even under the most ideal circumstances in which the GPS picks up a minimum of eight satellites, it's still only accurate to within 10 meters (32 feet). If you're riding a trail comprised of tight turns that fall within that margin of error, you're going to get false readings because the GPS will at times interpret those turns as straight segments. A wheel speed sensor can't be fooled that way: it will always measure the actual distance traveled.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #27652
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,096
re GPSes: that's not my experience, but YMMV

My $.02 on the matter: unless you're going mapping, power, or both, stick to a 'normal' cycling computer. Lots less $$. I'm planning on a Quarq this spring/summer so I went ahead and got myself an Edge 500.

Now that the new 510s are out without the need to plug it into the computer to upload files, I'd run you that way. All the connectivity BS that they've added doesn't do *me* any good, but it may someone else.

M
Old 03-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #27653
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Hey Gummee there's a present on its way to you
Old 03-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #27654
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
How many of you are using a wheel speed sensor with the GPS? If those aren't calibrated properly, you're going to get faulty readings.
Not me, but a riding buddy does and we're pretty well spot on.

The only difference seems to be that his speed doesn't lag quite as much as mine.

@WC: something GOOD?

M
Old 03-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #27655
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Both GREAT bikes, but, also very different. Be sure too ride them before you decide.

The Vaya is my choice, it is more laid back compared to the CC. Especially when loaded.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #27656
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,280
Quote:
That's why I ride a '09 Specialized Tricross Comp. It can run 29er MTB tires, has eyelets for touring racks and fenders, and three bottle mounts. There are quite a few people who've toured on them, while still having a great bike, unladen. Pure touring bikes aren't quite as light and sporty.

Others to consider: Jamis Bosanova, Kona Rove, Raleigh Roper, Soma Double Cross.

Quote:
Because speed calculations based solely on satellite transmissions are notoriously inaccurate. Even under the most ideal circumstances in which the GPS picks up a minimum of eight satellites, it's still only accurate to within 10 meters (32 feet). If you're riding a trail comprised of tight turns that fall within that margin of error, you're going to get false readings because the GPS will at times interpret those turns as straight segments. A wheel speed sensor can't be fooled that way: it will always measure the actual distance traveled.
That's what I've found, too.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #27657
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Both GREAT bikes, but, also very different. Be sure too ride them before you decide.

The Vaya is my choice, it is more laid back compared to the CC. Especially when loaded.
Thanks for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut
That's why I ride a '09 Specialized Tricross Comp. It can run 29er MTB tires, has eyelets for touring racks and fenders, and three bottle mounts. There are quite a few people who've toured on them, while still having a great bike, unladen. Pure touring bikes aren't quite as light and sporty.

Others to consider: Jamis Bosanova, Kona Rove, Raleigh Roper, Soma Double Cross.
The Soma had made it onto my list, but the others are ones I will look up. And I had just picked up a 2013 Specialized catalog from an LBS the other day - I saw all the tricross ones on there but hadn't considered that one carefully. I didn't know you could slap 29ers on it. And I love my Sirrus, so I'm gonna give the Tricross a hard look.

Keep it coming guys, thanks!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #27658
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post

This. The CC is a little more road bikey, the Vaya a little more mountain bikey. Both are solid, pick the one that feels best.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #27659
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

From the WTF?! files
Danish police seek man...

M
Old 03-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #27660
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
This. The CC is a little more road bikey, the Vaya a little more mountain bikey. Both are solid, pick the one that feels best.
Wanting something a little more road bikey (and therefore, familiar) is why I was leaning towards the CC. Was thinking of getting a frame & building it up myself, since the frame gets great reviews but people say the components are crap.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: