User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 500 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #27691
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,487
Thank you guys. Since I posted this, I've found that focus goes up to 3XL, so that particular bike is a no-go, but it seems a cross bike is my ideal road ride. I'm thinking steel may be my best bet, with a high spoke-count wheel set. I'll probably look for something a little less focused - only so I'm more comfortable on longer rides. The Giant TCX2 looks nice, though it's not aluminum.

I'm not 'fast' compared to many, but I'm pretty competent on a bike and can sprint hard... and I'd REALLY love to ride more and get in better shape. I love the tits off my Reign, but some days I don't have the time to drive over to the trail head. Leaving from the front door would be great. I'll keep you posted! New obsession time!

Tallbastid screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 08:38 AM
Tallbastid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #27692
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Thank you guys. Since I posted this, I've found that focus goes up to 3XL, so that particular bike is a no-go, but it seems a cross bike is my ideal road ride. I'm thinking steel may be my best bet, with a high spoke-count wheel set. I'll probably look for something a little less focused - only so I'm more comfortable on longer rides. The Giant TCX2 looks nice, though it's not aluminum.

I'm not 'fast' compared to many, but I'm pretty competent on a bike and can sprint hard... and I'd REALLY love to ride more and get in better shape. I love the tits off my Reign, but some days I don't have the time to drive over to the trail head. Leaving from the front door would be great. I'll keep you posted! New obsession time!
Steel or AL it all depends on the design of the bike and materials used. You can build a stiff bike or a flexy bike with either material.

Get the one that calls to you.

My Gunnar is somewhere close to 22# (steel)
Full Tilt Boogie is a hair over 17# (carbon)
The new TCR is 15.6# (carbon)
The Quattro Assi was 17ish when built (AL)

Having said that, I go pretty much the same speed on all of em.

Check out pricepoint.com for their house branded bikes too. I've seen a few. Look like nice bikes. Ditto with November.

M
Old 03-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #27693
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 6,450
Old 03-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #27694
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Steel or AL it all depends on the design of the bike and materials used. You can build a stiff bike or a flexy bike with either material.

Get the one that calls to you.

My Gunnar is somewhere close to 22# (steel)
Full Tilt Boogie is a hair over 17# (carbon)
The new TCR is 15.6# (carbon)
The Quattro Assi was 17ish when built (AL)

Having said that, I go pretty much the same speed on all of em.

Check out pricepoint.com for their house branded bikes too. I've seen a few. Look like nice bikes. Ditto with November.

M
Thanks! How do you like that Giant TCX2 for an ogar? I admittedly don't know much about CX drivetrain/specs, but I love my LBS, who sells Giant.
I plan to upgrade the saddle and pedals with clipless, but other than that I'd prefer to just ride the thing.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #27695
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Thanks! How do you like that Giant TCX2 for an ogar? I admittedly don't know much about CX drivetrain/specs, but I love my LBS, who sells Giant.
I plan to upgrade the saddle and pedals with clipless, but other than that I'd prefer to just ride the thing.
They need a TCX 1 or something. Somewhere between so-so components (TCX2) and too much components (TXC0). The frame looks great, but the parts on the -2 aren't top shelf.

If you can get a frame and build it up with 105/Rival you'll be better off. Maybe your LBS can work with you on that? Some will. Some won't.

Either way, the stock wheels on that bike are probably NOT the best thing for you to ride.

M
Old 03-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #27696
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Moar for Moodfart: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...678519847.html

M
Old 03-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #27697
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

thanks Gummee - hope I'm not driving you nuts. For wheels am I looking for higher spoke count?

That Giant looks nice, but it's a drive for me... I'm up in central New England.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #27698
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Moodfart,
One thing to watch for on the more dedicated CX bikes is the lack of a chain stay brace. It is not as common as it used to be, but it used to be common for mud clearance. For clydsdales, it makes the rear end a little flexy.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #27699
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
thanks Gummee - hope I'm not driving you nuts. For wheels am I looking for higher spoke count?

That Giant looks nice, but it's a drive for me... I'm up in central New England.
I'm willing to go look at it, you can pay the dood, and I'll box and ship (shipping on your dime) for ya.

Lots of 'cyclists' here in the DC area....

Spoke count: 36h in the back, min 32h in the front. 36/36 wheelsets are going cheap on ebay. Keep an eye out.

M
Old 03-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #27700
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,689
hi MF!

i'll second something Gummee alluded to; that's that the full-race top-o'-the-line stuff won't be your best bet for durability. the highest-end stuff is frequently built to try to maximize performance at a compromise in durabilty; the second-level stuff will often last longer.

that said, i'd encourage you to look at something like what Gummee pointed out for you already on Craigslist, and just ride it well. if something (most likely the wheels) prove to not be up to the task, find a good wheel-builder, and have some better wheels built. (the builder is the most important part!)
there are lots of things that can be done to help build an appropriate wheel for the non-flyweights amongst us (like slightly wider rims, off-center rims, hi-lo flanged hubs, double-butted spokes, lacing patterns, etc.), but wheel-building is worthy of a complete discussion on its own, and what is needed depends on who's using them where and how. (for example, i don't weigh much less than you do, and am over the recommended max weight for almost all my equipment, yet i've never had a problem with a wheel that wasn't ultimately my fault.)

Quote:

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #27701
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Gummee - that's a hell of an offer, I truly appreciate the gesture. I'm going to look around a bit more though to get a better feel for what I'm looking for. The more I think of it the more I realize I'll mostly be riding dirt roads anyways, so I think a true cross bike would be my best bet.

Mud - suggestions noted, thank you. I'll keep an eye on that. The less flex under my fat ass, the better!

Zouch - Thanks for the help on this! My budget (up to about $1,500) will keep me away from the super high end stuff anyways, but I am going to pay close attention to wheels. Today or tomorrow I plan on seeing what my LBS will do regarding beefier wheels on that Giant. I like the idea of craigslist as well, but I would prefer to ride the bike before I sign up for it. My eyes are peeled. I (knock on wood) have also never really broken anything due to my weight, save for stripping out the rear hub on my Reign twice.

I'm excited for the new ride, I'm sick of running! Also should add that I'd probably rather buy new, to support my LBS and to have representation if I have warranty issues or the bike doesn't work out.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #27702
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Wed night ride tonite. Got dark-ish as we were coming down Bull Run Mtn Rd.

Guess who didn't bring lights? Got em out. Battery is charged. Everything is good to go except that they got left here.

Last of the Wed dirt road rides till next fall/winter.

On one hand, I like the dirt roads. Lots. On the other, the dirt roads have more/bigger hills on em.

I can hammer on myself more on the road ride 'cause its flatter once we get over the big-ass hill known as Waterfall.

Ah well. Time change = times change.

M
Old 03-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #27703
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
You need to test ride that TCX, against other CX bikes, especially steel ones. The TCX is definitely geared more toward competition, than all-arounder. It's definitely on the stiffer end of the ride spectrum.

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned the Kona Rove and Raleigh Roper, elsewhere. Don't forget about these guys, either. CX wheelsets are going to be stronger than the typical road wheelsets. You can run slicks on the 'cross wheelset; no need to buy another set of wheels. You want SRAM Apex or Shimano 105 minimum, for a drivetrain.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #27704
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Stoemper

More

M
Old 03-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #27705
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
You need to test ride that TCX, against other CX bikes, especially steel ones. The TCX is definitely geared more toward competition, than all-arounder. It's definitely on the stiffer end of the ride spectrum.

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned the Kona Rove and Raleigh Roper, elsewhere. Don't forget about these guys, either. CX wheelsets are going to be stronger than the typical road wheelsets. You can run slicks on the 'cross wheelset; no need to buy another set of wheels. You want SRAM Apex or Shimano 105 minimum, for a drivetrain.

Thanks for the continued help/tips! My issue with test riding is most bike shops don't have XL sized stuff in stock, but I plan to spend Saturday perusing a few places around here. Turns out, Giant does make the TCX1-it's sort of hidden in their site : http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...1/11507/55856/

I'm thinking I would rather have disc brakes, though, and I'm looking into stock wheelsets more as well. For my weight, wouldn't I be better off on a stiff frame? Or is that not correct?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: